Michigan gas tax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beekeeper

Reaction score
Looks like Gov Snyder wants to raise our already steep gasoline tax from .19 cents a gallon to 32 or 33 cents per gallon, now dont get me wrong, our roads/bridges are in need of repair and we need to do something, but with one of the highest tax per gallon already why are we in the fix were in now?......will raising the tax take care of this or just give the government more to squander elsewhere?.......................I'm not opposed to stepping up and paying my fair share, I just want to know it's being applied properly...........Thoughts??............................Tom.

I got a idea Tom how about we send the government a vidio of all the hard work you do on recoating the roads and see if you can at least get a tax cut for rear tires.:biglaugh:

I think the idea of more taxes in any form are ridiculous.

Your employer is responsible for payroll taxes on every dollar paid out to employees. Before you get your paycheck, the feds, state and local gov't get their share.

You get your check and have to pay property taxes. Then, on everything you buy, you pay taxes. Depending on what the product is, you may pay the typical flat rate for your area but, if they decide it is somethign special, you pay extra taxes. Special things like fuel, tobacco, alcohol, tires, tolls, etc.....

I have a hard time being able to imagine the amount of money that is paid to the gov't by the average person. Between taxes, tolls, registrations, plates, fines (ever been to a courthouse on DUI day? A couple thousand/person x hundreds of people), etc....

I love living in the US but it seems that we give so much of our money to the gov't but they always need more. They need to figure out how to get rid of the dead weight and make things happen with the money they are already given.

approximatly 55% of the price we pay for petrol is tax (excise duty, carbon tax, 'NORA' levy, VAT)

So, after doing a bit of math - in your language we pay about $4.60 per US gallon in tax

We pay enough taxes. Gas is near $4.00 a gal. we don't need to add another $.30 to that. ...........IMO.

Mi. has the 7th highest gas tax in the nation.

I also am on the road a great deal, I see nothing that bad with the roads!

The richest man in Michigan is an 80+ year old guy that is a road builder, maybe he needs a big cut in pay from us tax payers, or lets just get some Mexicans over here to build our roads for a decent price, what the hell!!:ummm:

O

I'll be honest with you. An increase from .19 to .30 cents would be ok with me. AS LONG AS the money is actually spent to repair the roads.

I'll be honest with you. An increase from .19 to .30 cents would be ok with me. AS LONG AS the money is actually spent to repair the roads.

Sure,
And in 3 years another 30 cent increase, and on and on, while all other taxes go up and your wages and benefits are stagnant.:clapping:

O

No offense my friend but what planet are you on...? :ummm:Read what you just said and think about your local and state politicians...is the fog lifting...? :confused2:

Old timer the fact that chad says as long as it gos to road repair implies that he dont need to be told what you are saying. The only way we will get anything done is going to take higher taxes and you are right someone always takes most of the money.

I heard Washington St. is taxing all electric cars $50.00 a year because "they don't use gas". So they have to pay to fix the roads too.Year by year that will only go up.$$:double angry bird:

Last edited:
Our bridges in our state are crumbling, I've seen lots of overpasses with the rusting rebar showing and lots of rusting girders. They are working on a lot of them on the main freeways but the secondary roads have been neglected.
I'm not condoning the gas tax hike but our roadway infastructure has been neglected for far, far to many years. The politicians have been reappropiating roadway fund for far to many decades. Michigan has done OK on getting the roads back into fair shape recently, we're just lucky we are not a state that has a lot of truck traffic running border to border.I know I-69/ I-96/ I-94 has a lot of truck traffic, but that is a small part of all the roadways in Michigan.
I think my back is still aching from my trip down I-90 on my way to BD's Brownie Run, those expansion joint bumps are brutal! At least in Michigan you can play the game of "Dodge the Pot Hole" :biglaugh:

gas today in Regina Saskatchewan is $1.15 per litre.

3.78 litres in a us gal = $4.35 a gal

we are close bud. the highest we paid was $1.35 per litre, that's $5.10 a gallon. yuck. good thing everything I drive gets 16 mpg or less.

funny thing about potholes... at least in winter they are filled and the road is smooth. lol

peace,
evan...

Sure,
And in 3 years another 30 cent increase, and on and on, while all other taxes go up and your wages and benefits are stagnant.:clapping:

O

Heck, I got a $15,000 raise in salary last year. :punk:
My pay isn't stagnant.

Heck, I got a $15,000 raise in salary last year. :punk:
My pay isn't stagnant.

Then, please send a check to the Shiawasee Road Commish for road repair, but keep your hands out of my pocket. (You must have hired in at GM down the road, thank the taxpayer for that job).

O

Our bridges in our state are crumbling, I've seen lots of overpasses with the rusting rebar showing and lots of rusting girders. They are working on a lot of them on the main freeways but the secondary roads have been neglected.
I'm not condoning the gas tax hike but our roadway infastructure has been neglected for far, far to many years. The politicians have been reappropiating roadway fund for far to many decades. Michigan has done OK on getting the roads back into fair shape recently, we're just lucky we are not a state that has a lot of truck traffic running border to border.I know I-69/ I-96/ I-94 has a lot of truck traffic, but that is a small part of all the roadways in Michigan.
I think my back is still aching from my trip down I-90 on my way to BD's Brownie Run, those expansion joint bumps are brutal! At least in Michigan you can play the game of "Dodge the Pot Hole" :biglaugh:

Red, the complaint has been that the U.P. get an exorbitant share of road taxes. I find the roads up there excellent, great for cycle riding.

The real problem is Obamas huge stimulus was to take care of bridges and roads, remember "Shovel Ready Job's"???:rofl_200:

The huge amount of money going to the feds to have their illegal and unneeded wars and huge foreign aid to countries that do not need or deserve it, leaves little to the States! I say let us take 85% of what we GIVE Israel, Egypt, and Pakistan, and give it back to the states for infrastructure. I am talking Billion's of $!!:clapping:

The problem with the U.S. citizen, they have gotten so used to being fuc#ed in the asz for so long that they either cannot feel it anymore, or have grown to enjoy it!

O

How did we get here? Well he could take a page out of Obama's book and blame it on the one previously in his office.

I don't like paying more, but our roads really need it.

Chad my wages have gone up also but so has alot of other things. If fuel goes over $4.50 per gal alot of people will not make it a year. This will cause all goods to cost to much and most will be better off going bankrupt. We are only .70 a gallon away from that.

Just add up all the taxes we ALL pay and it's just toooo much. Our governments ( fed, state,local) are to top heavy with very well paid and multi-layered administrations.

We are taxed enough already

Lew

and yes---- I took a pay CUT a few years ago.

Last edited:
Back