What to do?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bawls

Reaction score
Well, I left in december for south america on deployment just after buying an 07 zx14 and thinking that it would be forever before i got to buy a vmax. As luck turns out though (and i say that very lightly lmfao) i was talking to a friend from my squadron and he says "oh, i have a vmax in my garage that i have to get rid of because i'm transferring to italy. It hasn't run for 2 years, but it's pretty clean. I picked it up for 500 dollars and was completely stoked until he finally brought me the carbs for it that were missing off of it. they are stripped down completely and in two zip lock bags. HOW THE FUCK am i supposed to figure that one out with zero vmax experience? lol. Anyone on here live near san diego and want a project to tinker with? i'll let you do the first burnout on it when it gets going lfmao.

it's a red 1990 model with 25,000 ish miles on it. I have an extra original yamaha corbin seat if anyone wants it. I can take pictures and send. Also, a sissy bar that will most likely be coming off.

You lucky SOB.

You got a V-max for $500 bucks AND a carburetor hobby kit!!!

Some people have all the luck.

Don't panic. It's not a hard job (man I'd sell my first born for deal like that but I'm sure she'd have something to say about it).

Well, I left in december for south america on deployment just after buying an 07 zx14 and thinking that it would be forever before i got to buy a vmax. As luck turns out though (and i say that very lightly lmfao) i was talking to a friend from my squadron and he says "oh, i have a vmax in my garage that i have to get rid of because i'm transferring to italy. It hasn't run for 2 years, but it's pretty clean. I picked it up for 500 dollars and was completely stoked until he finally brought me the carbs for it that were missing off of it. they are stripped down completely and in two zip lock bags. HOW THE FUCK am i supposed to figure that one out with zero vmax experience? lol. Anyone on here live near san diego and want a project to tinker with? i'll let you do the first burnout on it when it gets going lfmao.

it's a red 1990 model with 25,000 ish miles on it. I have an extra original yamaha corbin seat if anyone wants it. I can take pictures and send. Also, a sissy bar that will most likely be coming off.

Welcome Bawis and congrats on your new VMAX:clapping:
I would either get a VMAX Service Manual or you can download it for free.
Or I would get a detailed instruction booklet from Mikuni for the VMAX carbs to put them back together with a detailed picture illustration.:ummm:
Not going to be difficult depending on your mechanical aptitude.
We can help you here with the tuning tricks once they are together or you run into a confusion.

Buy you some good tools, a good light with a large work table and a sheet of white paper.

Congrats on the GREAT f'n deal for a Vmax. You may want to consider sending a PM to Mark (Maleko89 http://www.vmaxforum.net/member.php?u=17) about the carbs. He is the carb king and may be interested in a side project or at least help talk you through putting them back together.

here are a couple of pics of the bike, and one of the 14 for good measure lol... i was wrong on the mileage. it's 28,147. The rear tire has 17 miles on it. you can still see the paper marks on it from where the size sticker was lol.

IMG_7957.jpg

IMG_7960.jpg

IMG_7961.jpg

IMG_7966.jpg

burnout2.jpg

Looks like it was painted at some point and could benefit from it again. It also has an OLD set of jardines on it! They haven't been made in some time I don't think. Someone even polished up the scoops. STILL, a Very solid buy!

If you don't end up getting the carbs sorted out (I'm sure the guys on here can help you) I can always go through them for you. I've finally got some new fluid for my heated ultrasonic tank. They look better then new when I get the out of it. We could maybe work out a trade for some of the stuff you are taking off.

Sean

That is a sweet deal! Hell, you could sell the sissy bar and basically make your money back!

Congrats on the GREAT f'n deal for a Vmax. You may want to consider sending a PM to Mark (Maleko89 http://www.vmaxforum.net/member.php?u=17) about the carbs. He is the carb king and may be interested in a side project or at least help talk you through putting them back together.

Sure, more than happy to help out. I would inspect all of your o-rings, gaskets and slide rubbers since they're been unused for that long.

I'm just hoping that everything is there... the carbs are literally taken apart and in a couple of gallon ziplock bags. Are the Sissy bars like that hard to come by or something?

Back