Exhaust Comparision, Marks 4-2 , UFO 4-2 and Walker 4-2.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
First I have to say I talked to Mark and he is a great guy to talk to on the phone. I told him we had a big ride planned ( which got cancelled, but turned into a drag strip run ) and he had everything to me in about two weeks ( little less ).

I have to say a few things about buying exhaust.

1 Make sure you listen to your system you want to buy in PERSON! I repeat, listen to it in person. It will vastly differ from what you hear on the video clips 90% of the time.

2 Make note of what your trying to accomplish. I will touch on this later.

3 Aftermarket systems are all around the same dollar for a complete system.

4 Quality and workman ship, I ll talk about that later as well.

5 Customer Service and support. Again I ll touch on that later.

Sound.

The first thing and probably the most important to most people with replacement of an entire exhaust system is sound. You obviously are looking for something that has a different tone then the stock setup. Some want deep throaty sounds, others want high pitched, some want loud , loud and loud! So with that said I can tell you with the three systems I see the most, I ll rate below for sound.

1 UFO slash cut 4-2. Is by far the loudest most obnoxious pipes you can get as a kit. They are raspy to me though in the higher rpm range. They are loud, did I mention that? If you want to piss off everyone on the street, then you want these. If you want to not hear the clutch chattering, then you want these. If you don't want to hear after a 6 hour trip, you want these. They have by far the best idle sound of any of the pipes I have listened to and the mid range sounds good as well. Once you start to climb in the rpm scale, they start getting really raspy to me. That was the turnoff point for me.

2 Marks 4-2 2.75 openings and 12 " cans. Is deep. Some people say they are loud, I disagree. They are deep. The bass tone it gives off might offset and make the sound seem not so loud, but park next to a UFO piped bike and you will be wondering if you bike is running or not. It has a rumbly big block like sound to it. Which is very pleasing if no one else is around, meaning to interrupt the sound coming out the pipes. It will not leave you deaf on longer rides either. Though I would still wear ear plugs for wind noise. You can easily talk over the sound at 60 mph to your passenger, I am not sure if you could do that as easily with a UFO setup. The deep sound stays up through the rpm range and does not diminish. It is louder up top rpm's , but not obnoxious. I don't think you would get too many neighbors pissed off unless you ride like a hooligan down your street at 12 am.

3 Dale Walker Holeshot exhaust. Now I am going off of memory with this setup as it was on my 1986 Vmax. But recently I heard one in person and it reminded me of it. Again not overly loud, but a little more cackling like out of it. A pleasing sound mostly, but I would give a nod to Marks Can's over the Holeshot cans. Again not loud enough to piss off the neighbors really. And I don't think they would make you deaf on long rides.

Winner in loud dept ?

UFO Slash Cuts

Winner in Sound?

Marks Exhaust

What are you trying to accomplish?

If you want balls out power, styling, or cornering clearance?

1 UFO Slash Cuts 4-2 have low clearance ability. You don't lose anything over stock from what I can see. The pipes fit up nicely and look good doing so. They cross over in the rear , left to right and right to left for the back two pipes. I believe this seems to help scavenging better. They seem to pull rpm better or faster.

2 Dale Walker Holeshot 4-2 also have low clearance ability. Again I don't think you lose much over stock with this. Its possibly with the UFO and Holeshot that you gain a little clearance. But I don't have a stock bike to put next to them at the moment. I can't remember off hand, but I thought these did also. Correct me if I am wrong here. On my 86 they seemed to pull well. But it also had a stage 7 kit in it, so I can't directly compare to my current setup.

3 Marks 4-2. There is less clearance with this exhaust then with the other two from what I can see. I will get some rock solid measurements soon to compare. The performance seems decent. I ran these at the track recently and I can't say I felt any performance increase top end. Mid range they seemed to help a touch. But I didn't notice a "Hell Yeah" feeling over my stock exhaust with Super Trapps. Now this is just a straight across comparo to stock with slip ons vs Marks Exhaust. With jetting, I think both would pick up a little bit, but the Marks might pick up a little more.

Winner in power , clearance, Style ?

UFO 4-2 Slash Cuts

Cost ?

They are all about equally priced.

1 UFO Slash cut 4-2 pipes. VERY nicely put together. The seams are beautiful, the coating is extremely nice and flows well with the bike. Fit and function are great. Hands down good bang for the buck. Center stand works. Very clean looking because of coating, a definite show quality system.

2 Walker, VERY nice package also. Seams are good, bends are smooth and fit and function is great. A little higher priced, but not by much to keep you from buying it. Center stand works. Coated, they look excellent and could be show pipes.

3 Marks Exhaust , Good fit and funtion. The H pipe in back limits some options for swing arms, but there are ones that fit with bracing out there. Just be noted that the center stand can be retained. But may require modification to do so. Mine would have needed to be bent outward quite a bit to clear properly. Not a big deal, few minutes with a torch and you could have had it clearing fine. Now for a few dings......... I have several leaks in the pipe connections in the back and unfortunately have a crack in one of the pipes, its about 2 inches long. The left side can was a hair too long in the bracket area and made it difficult to install. The right side was no problem. The brushed look on the cans is appealing to some and not to others. I don't mind it as much, but have seen better. The exhaust itself had several heat weld marks still in place, while some where removed through cleaning. The pipes are smooth looking in some spots, but show brushed sanding in some spots also. I am sorry to say but these are NOT show pipes to me. They are functional pipes.

Winner in Cost ?

UFO and Walker

Customer Service?

I will say customer service from all three is good. I don't think you will get bad service from any company listed here. Some people aren't UFO fans, but I ve dealt with Jon for years and never had a problem. Dale is another great customer service rep , as is Mark. Its a pleasure to talk to all three on the phone.

With Jon and Dale you get alot of racing experience. Jon will give you lots of performance help and info. Dale is the same way. Mark may have racing experience, but I didn't really talk with him to an extent with it, as it seemed he only sold exhaust and not the complementing parts to go with it.

Winner Customer Service?

UFO , Walker and Marks

So to summarize, I have to say that UFO pipes are probably the best bang for the buck , followed by Walker and then by Marks. A lot it is going to depend on the sound you want and the performance your after. DO NOT expect anyone of these pipes to be bolted on and gain 30 hp over the other. IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. They are all equally performing on the street. At the track you will probably notice a difference between them if your good enough to pick up on those differences. But for the common rider on the street, pick the system that best suits your needs by sound, performance ( fit and function ) and cost.

I have to give the slight nod to UFO as an overall winner.
I ll have videos and pictures soon.

Thanks
Todd

Last edited:
I have no knowledge with Kerker and have only knowledge on these, so its strict first hand experience with these. No hearsay information from others. This is based on my experience with these three systems.

Todd

I'm a newbie to Maxs' and am spending every waking moment learning about my new obsession. I have delt with Jon already and he was kind, helpful and good too his word. I have spent hours listening to differant Pipes, however, only on YouTube. That being said, the sound of the UFO's are the loudest and meanest things I think I've ever heard in my life.

You Tube does not do justice for any of them. Be patient and find some out there to listen too. Performance wise it's tough for most to note any difference between them. So....looks, sound, price is your criteria.

Dale #2592

Your correct VeeBooster.. I'll be the first to admit that I often don't see the larger picture.. Excellent points..
:)

I herd that Sean was going to offer the Marks head pipes with his own cans. I was hoping to buy those in the spring when I sell the Honda. I was thinking that if he was selling the package, he would know what jetting to recommend . of course first I have to get him my seat then swingarm

Of course If I had the money now I would have taken advantage of an offer on some used pipes... Including installation

The cost of these after-market pipes amaze me! Can you imagine the profit for each pipe sold?

I would guess that in a roll on race between my stock 05 against a stage 7 or Morley kit with any of these $1000 pipes plus set-up's, roll on's in different ranges, that there would for sure not be a big enough difference to even come close to $1000 plus investment in the vastly over priced set up's.

Rip off comes to mind.

O

The cost of these after-market pipes amaze me! Can you imagine the profit for each pipe sold?

I would guess that in a roll on race between my stock 05 against a stage 7 or Morley kit with any of these $1000 pipes plus set-up's, roll on's in different ranges, that there would for sure not be a big enough difference to even come close to $1000 plus investment in the vastly over priced set up's.

Rip off comes to mind.

O
Way to diss anybody with a non stock setup. I know your happy with your stock untouched bike, but why the hate?:confused2:
But the fact is there is a 12 to 15 hp gain with the aftermarket systems.

Rip off comes to mind.

O

I wouldn't call this a hate post??? Just an opinion, kind a harsh but oh well.

As to the price; figure what skilled labor costs, and the hours involved, and its cheap in my mind.

Shop labor from a crappy mechanic is $60-100 an hour depending on other factor.
That shop guys is prolly making $20-35 an hour.

Self employed individual still has overhead just like a shop, albeit less, so figure his cost somewhere in between these numbers....for the sake of argument lets say $40, I know my time is worth that if someone wants me to do side work, a lot higher if its something I don't want to do.

You guys, including me, that get paid by the hour, ask yourselves what it costs the company to employ you with all over head included. Those of you in the field service industry probably know exactly. Add to that a profit that motivates the business owner to even bother getting out of bed in the morning.
That's the customers hourly rate.
Our customer hourly rate is almost 5 times what goes in my pocket by the hour. We have huge overhead in equipment and engineering so ours is a little out of the norm.
All these things may help you to see why these things aren't a rip off, any more than a plumber, with truck, insurance, tools, licensing, shop, building utility and upkeep expenses, 401k plan, inventory tax, people
In the shop carries as pure overhead (non billable hours) like schedulers etc, isn't ripping you off when they show up and charge you $80 bucks an hour with a two hour minimum to fix your dripping faucet.
The difference is you can fix your own dropping faucet, I challenge more than 1% of you to build your own exhaust.

I can't see bending, cutting, fabbing, welding and finishing an exhaust in anything less than 15-20 hours, maybe a little less with a lot of practice.

That makes cost somewhere between $600-800 bucks tops.

I'd say its a good deal for an extremely limited market bike and a project none of us could do ourselves.

Way to diss anybody with a non stock setup. I know your happy with your stock untouched bike, but why the hate?:confused2:
But the fact is there is a 12 to 15 hp gain with the aftermarket systems.

This is not hate or diss, but simply food for thought. I think the real Diss being done is by the makers of these pipes to the buyers. $1000 plus for a set of pipes that have been in production for many years, Marks cracked and ill fitting, UFO blowing out your eardrums, Hole Shot with a raspy sound and little in the way of performance-and the most expensive of the bunch.

Hell, Super Trapps are probably a bigger rip off and ugly to boot!

O

Fair enough, I see your position on aftermarket products.
I will have to live with my Mark's exhaust, but I'm good with my decision, since I wanted more performance and something other than the stock sound.

I've spoken to many guys on the topic "Loud Pipes Save Lives". Of course some guys agree, some don't and theres nothing that comes close to your experience that will most likely save our lives from some cager who decides too do their make-up, eat their burger and text at the same time. But if there is a remote possibilty that this person gets pissed-off because of "that loud and annoying motorcycle", they'll at least, more than likely know your there.
And that alone is worth a Grand any day.

It's free enterprise and whatever the market will bear. These guys aren't in the business of doing favors cause it
makes 'em feel good, they may love the Vmax as much as I love my job but if there wasn't profit in it no one is going to do it for free.

Nor or pipes for these bikes a "commodity" like pipes for a Harley where its purely supply and demand, as its a specialty item with very little demand from a scale of manufacturing standpoint.

Commodity item markup is usually inte range of 10-20%, specialty stuff with limited demand its not unusual to see markup as high as 30-50%

I've never seen a pipe from any of these guys that was poor quality, muffler choices are available. Yes the slash cut UFO's are ridiculously loud and not for everyone.

With a limited market bike we're lucky ANYONE builds an exhaust for it.
Maybe we should initiate a petition to the gov't for exhaust system price controls?

Then these guys can say fuck it and stop building them.

You are right, it is his opinion and I do respect O's opinion. Hate was not a good word to use in this context or on this forum and for that I apologize.

Red, Nice to apologize, and of course I accept, did not mean to hurt anyones feelings as you know I love the sound, looks, of Marks pipes.:clapping:

O

Back