VBoost Room General Bike Discussions

Re: Newbie
Old 12-10-2006, 11:44 PM

My VMax: K6 Black/Raven
Awards Showcase
Nice guy award 
Total Awards: 1
Default Re: Newbie

I agree, I have had my 06 for 6 months now. And everything I've read and seen in the chats I would recommend a 93 or up.
Also you may want to consider finding a used with some of the mods already done. One thing I learned is, there is alot of things I want to do to my 06.
But I guess that is half the fun of owning one.
So far All I've gotten done is put the longer sportbar handlebars on, which helped improve the handling a lil better. Ohh and engine gaurds, which saved my case cover once already.

Equipment Relocation Engineer
AKA: Big Rig Trucker
facebook.com/82ndCowboy

Old 12-11-2006, 08:24 AM

Maybe find a good 96 or newer used to tie you over until the new Max surfaces in a year or so. I have the feeling that I may be trading the 07 Max I just bought for the new one if I like it enough. But if you're considering an 07, it is a terrific ride.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum
Maybe find a good 96 or newer used to tie you over until the new Max surfaces in a year or so. I have the feeling that I may be trading the 07 Max I just bought for the new one if I like it enough. But if you're considering an 07, it is a terrific ride.
Good post. You're thinking smart so here's to the next generation of brutal power.:cheers00:

Old 12-11-2006, 09:44 AM

Don't be fooled that the 85 had more power than the other years.They were dynoing and racing ringers for the magazines.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:01 AM

My VMax: 99 Mexican Orange
My other bikes: XR650L, Migrated to Mexico
Awards Showcase
Bling award Nice guy award Award of Posting Excellence (APE) Thread Hijacker 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn kloker
Don't be fooled that the 85 had more power than the other years.They were dynoing and racing ringers for the magazines.
Dead on; never trust a Dyno # or a 1/4 mile time when the factory shows up with the bike already prepped.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:07 PM

welcome to the site. Is that bike in your avatar yours? R6 or R1?
Ken VMOA #3892

Old 12-11-2006, 02:26 PM

My VMax: 99 Mexican Orange
My other bikes: XR650L, Migrated to Mexico
Awards Showcase
Bling award Nice guy award Award of Posting Excellence (APE) Thread Hijacker 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome aboard by the way...

Have fun

Old 12-12-2006, 12:25 AM

My VMax: 2005 Shift Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleko89
I wouldn't get anything older than a '96. They had improved brakes, forks, charging system, and ignition system. Beware older bikes with low miles, this bike needs to be ridden often....otherwise it degrades quickly. FOr info on the differences over the years, try here: http://www.vmaxchat.com/. Click on Tips and then Model history. Good luck in the pursuit of YOUR vmax!
Well... crap... I didn't realize there were replies!

Looking at what people want for the machines, I think I'll start looking around 2003, which is when I think they did the 43 mm forks. The brakes still need work... but I think I can work with it. Plus, this will be my "cruiser."

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleko89
I agree, I have had my 06 for 6 months now. And everything I've read and seen in the chats I would recommend a 93 or up.
Also you may want to consider finding a used with some of the mods already done. One thing I learned is, there is alot of things I want to do to my 06.
But I guess that is half the fun of owning one.
So far All I've gotten done is put the longer sportbar handlebars on, which helped improve the handling a lil better. Ohh and engine gaurds, which saved my case cover once already.
The fun is all in the mods! Sounds like you have gotten a decent start on your 06!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn kloker
Nah... actually I have wanted the V-Max since 1985, so I was thinking of starting with the first. But looking at what has been done over the years, I'll probably go with something much later. I've got "friends" that can help me find power when I want it

Quote:
welcome to the site. Is that bike in your avatar yours? R6 or R1?
Yes, that's me on my R1 at Deal's Gap (photo courtesy of "Killboy.com" (I think I'm supposed to say that )

I may have been deceptive with the word "newbie" as I've been riding for over 25 years, I am a MSF instructor, and I hope to get my race license this year. I own two sportbikes; a 1991 FZR 1000 that has been built pretty decent, and a 2004 YZF-R1 that has a couple of things done to it. I average about 15k miles a year, and ride in most conditions. I respect the V-Max and want it for the ride position, passenger considerations, and look. While I certainly get the power out of the YZF or the FZR (the FZR is the monster of the two when it comes to the streets) I want something I can knock out distance with comfortably. I know that distance is relative with a small fuel tank and a strong right hand... but I'll figure that out

Thanks for all the replies and the warm welcome! Hopefully I can contribute as much as I learn here!

Dan

Old 12-12-2006, 03:26 AM

Welcome from one newbie to another....I had wanted a MAX since I first saw one in 85 as well, but it took me a long time to get one.....good luck on your search for yout new ride, and post up some pics when you get it....

Nice R1 by the way...I had an 01...I loved that bike....

Here is link to some pics of the 01 I just picked up a few wees ago..http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=628

Old 12-12-2006, 04:08 PM

My VMax: ..
Smile Re: Newbie

Welcome aboard Newbie.

I, too, wanted that red 1985 from when I first studied the poster at the Yamaha dealer in January 1985. I BOUGHT the first 85 he got in that next March. When a 15 year old girl failed to yield turning left in front of me March 1987, I was able to buy a 2nd new 1985 leftover still in a crate. I still ride that red 1985 to this day and love every mile.

It's the best feel-good cruiser I've owned and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours, whatever year model you end up with.

I do take exception to what's being said about the earlier years though. While I may not be the meanest, hardest rider that ever sat a Max, I still managed to get the front wheel up a lot, experiment at the drags, and even out ran the local cops a time or three (in my younger, crazier days), and managed all that with only a broken drive shaft (once) and a broken u-joint another time. Knock on wood, but my trans and motor are still going strong after all these years. Of course there have been plugs, wires, filters and oil changes over the years - and a new back tire on average every 2250 miles. I think I've gotten my $4,500.00 worth with no regrets.