brake light

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maxrom i was an auto tech back when the price of labor took it's first big jump. The ECM Engine Control Module What a waiste of the consumers money. The first thing the consumer had to deal with was a big bullshit diagnaostic box hanging from the ceiling. But if this box was in your garage you could charge the customer $50.00 hour labor to Troubleshoot. After all you got a computer on board now Its the only way. Than the tech would pull the box over to your car and get his volt meter and some good common sensor's that go bad and start unpluging and pluging in about 20min he would say something like your tps is bad and the consumer would say i dont even know what that is. After about a year or so labor at all shop's went to $50 acroos the board. yep you want that $20 per hour alternator replaced well it's $50 per hour now. The market was set to roll and it took off big time. Now everything is controlled by an on board computer even the a/c. Better emission and fuel mileage for the world was said. But now we need to drive to work from 50 miles away from our job so we can afford to pay for the car. Not to mention car insurance. How did we save? I dont mind paying my hard erned money for a fare price.

I ran one of the "Scoobyvan" units for a bit. It basically bolted right up, with the exception of a little trimming that (IMO) had to be done on the license plate bracket. It stuck out about 1/2" or so on each side.

I found it to be ample bright in the daylight (important where I live cause it doesn't get dark at night in the summer) and the brake light was nice and bright.

I would have kept it, but it didn't mesh with my tail section.

plate1y.jpg

KJ will i replace the inner fender support or do i need to cut the oem support for this set up to bolt on.

KJ will i replace the inner fender support or do i need to cut the oem support for this set up to bolt on.

You'll keep your inner fender. Where your plate bolts up, you'll have to trim on that bracket that's it (The plate mounting tabs will poke out on the sides if you don't).
I never took any before pictures, But, borrowing Ryan's picture, The arrows points where you trim to get everything flush.

0129111441a.jpg

The unit bolts up to where you bolt your plate. then it will be nice and flush. The nice part about that is you can go back to stock, and when you put the plate back, the spot where you trimmed wont show.

bracketvp.jpg

kjsvmax.jpg

I think I have the same plate available and could match the scooby price I am sure. I believe it's the plate on the right side (the left side has a built in mount for the axle)

Attachments

• Plate Bracket.jpg
    Plate Bracket.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 63
Remove the inner fender
Buy a piece of aluminum flat stock from the hardware store. Something about 1/8" thick x 3/4" wide. Make two "L" brackets, don't bend them to quite 90 degrees. Bolt the brackets to the existing screws that are in the back of the fender. Mark holes for your plate and mount you plate to the aluminum brackets.

Buy a piece of aluminum sheet. Trace the contour of the fender to a piece of cardboard, trace that onto the aluminum sheet. Cut it out. Bend a 90 in the sheet. Now you have a backing plate to create your own tail light. You can use LED strips of your liking or a cateye or whatever you want for the brake light. Cost is about $10 plus whatever lights you want, and a license plate frame if you want one. I added one after the pics were taken

I used some LED strips from Radiantz but there are much cheaper options available. I also used some LED tag bolts to illuminate the plate. No need to cut up your wiring harness. Just uplug the OEM assembly and buy some bullet terminals to make your own plug n play wiring harness. Not really hard to do, requires no permanent mods to the bike. You can make it as cheap or expensive as you want.

Polish, paint, or leave the aluminum bare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo17Yav6yfI&feature=player_embedded

Attachments

• 2012-02-04_12-16-28_730.jpg
    2012-02-04_12-16-28_730.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 2012-02-04_12-15-35_25.jpg
    2012-02-04_12-15-35_25.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 2012-02-04_12-15-22_402.jpg
    2012-02-04_12-15-22_402.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 2012-02-04_12-14-19_332.jpg
    2012-02-04_12-14-19_332.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 49
I brought my brake light from where it is, to the reflector behind the rear seat, under the sissy bar. I don't like the light that I have, and I'd like to use another. I'm still looking... Open to ideas.

Rear brake light behind seat. Only $7.00 at walmart. Direct fit LED.

Attachments

• 2012-02-04_21-41-14_617.jpg
    2012-02-04_21-41-14_617.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 2012-02-04_20-53-41_93.jpg
    2012-02-04_20-53-41_93.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 54
Mike thanks for the great post. I just ordered my brake light minutes ago, looks great on your bike.:banana: I've said once i'll say it again the guys on this site KICK ASS!:banana::banana:

you will need to customize the licinse plate brake light if you got the same one i did. The best way is to install your plate into the holder and center the light and bolt it tight with one bolt. than drill other two hole's. Mark the over hang of the fender brace so you can trim it. Fender brace over hangs at the outside's of lower plate bolt's. Make sure you have a towel on a table with clear space so you dont scratch your fender while working on it. fender comes off quick. I think only 5 bolts. you can get wire ends that fit oem plugs on bike at advance auto. When you reinstall fender make sure you slid it on to the tab's on the bike and than bolt center bolt. You can put the two screw bolts in at the table before you center light. just make sure you put the wiring in the clip holder's and through the hole in the fender. If you need anything just ask.

LED light for rear of seat from walmart is a blazer 4" LEd sealed running board light part number cw1531r. I spliced a wire to the light because the one that come's with it is to short. Than i took the wire from the brake light and the wire from the running board light and twisted them togather and put a plug end over both wire's so i had one plug and pluged it in. I feel safer having two light's

Latest posts

Back