Cool change

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedmax

Reaction score
Well it time for a change,a cool change.
I've wanted to build a car for years and the Gen two is so wide it's starting to hurt my old bones , So it's up for sale. Yes I'm going to ask to much so if it sells fine if not that's ok too
. I also have one of my gen Is for sale with the proceeds from one or both bikes I will do a motor for mable( my original gen I) and make a few seats a year ( for now)

The cool change part , the car I've been wanting to build , finally found one. I picked up a 1975 cosworth vega with no motor or tranny :biglaugh: and some parts necessary to put a V8 in it.
So now I start looking for a few more parts, Radiator, and turbo 350 are first on the list,a friend at work has a four bolt 350 with a mild cam that should work for a couple years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 111
A 350 with a 400 crank kit in it would be very cool Ric. My first car, 64 Impala,had a 327 in it, 325 hp version if I recollect. Even in a heavey car, it screamed.
The newer LS V8's make 300hp stock and are fuel efficient. My 99 Silverado will light them up for 20-30 feet if i stomp on the peddle hard. In fact I've got one complete,sitting, waiting for a new owner.Vmax parts are better than cash. pm sent

Last edited:
I had enough time to take the parts out of my he car a take a couple more pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 60
Around 10 years ago or so a buddy found a Cosworth Vega at the Salvation Army of all places, it had been donated by the origional owner and included a paperwork folder with it's history including some documentation of making a Pikes Peak run with it, the car was rough and had been sitting for some time, we got it running but it was pretty tired, we pulled the drivetrain and he sold it off to a Cosworth collector, we slapped together a mild 350/350 combo and had a blast!........Super fun street car, V-8 Vegas were pretty common back in the 70's-80's but you don't see many any more, I worked with a fellow in the early 80's who had purchaced an LS-7 454 crate engine and shoehorned it between the fenders of a 72 Vega, had a Muncie M-22 and a narrowed 12 bolt, went out with him a few times, quite a handfull out on the street but quick as hell...........Keep us updated on your project!................Tom.

The Chevy Monzas came set up for a v8 instead of the DOHC 4 from the Cosworth Vega, maybe a better starting place. But I understand the Vega is what you have. Are you gonna use an auto or a manual? I think the auto would be quicker, but if it's an occasional driver, a 'fun' car for performance, the manual may be more fun.

In the 1980's the Monza was a popular IMSA class racer. Of course the race cars bear little resemblance to a street car to be competitive.

I bet there are frame stiffeners required to stand-up to the exercise of a V8 in an economy car modded to accept the V8. That, and a whole lot of other things, so post your pics when you do something and we'll all enjoy a good build.

Should be a fun build and looks like a pretty clean starting point.

It is a VERY CLEAN start, collecting parts now, hope to have it on the road in the fall

Let me know if you need a second set of hands from time to time.............

Will do Mike , my plan is to collect the few more parts I need over the next few months and start putting the "V-28 twin head" together in the fall.

I have a 350 hp 350 on layaway from a guy at work( good starter motor ) , I need a short shaft turbo 350 .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 26
I know you didn't want to do the 700R4 but the 200R4 is shorter, can be made strong (strong enough as is for now) and still give you an overdrive.

I know you didn't want to do the 700R4 but the 200R4 is shorter, can be made strong (strong enough as is for now) and still give you an overdrive.

I'm oldscool , and I only want to do the tranny once,so I figure a turbo 350 built by my local tranny shop buddy should handle the next motor too. I'd like to keep it period correct as well , other wise I'd be going the LS with EFI route .

And while overdrive is nice for gas mileage and highway cruising , This is going to be a toy .:biglaugh:

I have a short shaft available here but cost of shipping would kill that plan, the THM350 is a great street trans, especially in a light car like the vega, I did one for my buddys S-10 with a 450HP small block, saw 8 years of hard street/strip duty and was still going strong when he sold the truck, does your builder install a 700R4 center support?..........Neat racer trick that adds strength and durability, I've had good luck with the Transgo 1-2 or the TCI shift kits, unless you have a manual valve body in mind, looking foreward to this build!....................Tom.

1975 cosworth vega if you have the matching motor is a collector items can be worth a lot more money. To the right buyer. Just thinking out loud.

I have 327 30 over motor a may sale, It's base off of my 10sec camaro 327 motor. All most the same motor.

Attachments

• 32005630283_large.jpg
    32005630283_large.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 28
Now this going old school, I run with hurst ram rod, and doug nash trany stage 3 clutch...

Attachments

• hurst ram rod.jpg
    hurst ram rod.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 27
I have a short shaft available here but cost of shipping would kill that plan, the THM350 is a great street trans, especially in a light car like the vega, I did one for my buddys S-10 with a 450HP small block, saw 8 years of hard street/strip duty and was still going strong when he sold the truck, does your builder install a 700R4 center support?..........Neat racer trick that adds strength and durability, I've had good luck with the Transgo 1-2 or the TCI shift kits, unless you have a manual valve body in mind, looking foreward to this build!....................Tom.

Aren't both of you going to be at Thunder? :hmmm:

Back