Fork clamp/brace

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
I've been chewing this over with some interest with a couple of the guys and I thought I might show a couple of pictures.
It is just in its infancy at this stage and may change is it evolves, or it may not evolve at all. It is just an idea at this stage.
There is something slightly about similar but I won't go into a lengthy ramble for now.

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 135
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 108
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
looks good. It looks like it is designed to go right under the headlight. It won't make a huge difference there and reduce the ability to lower it but still many would like it I am sure. Maybe you could make it all one part to replace the stock lower headlight support too. It would make it even beefier looking.

Sean

Hey Jedi, nice to see the first prototype/concept picture of this brace. The pictures definitely make our thoughts come to life.

The idea was to make a brace to fit under the lower triple tree to cure any flex the forks have at their weakest point. This article will help explain what we are trying to fix without having to go to USD style forks, which is the ultimate fix to the problem.

http://www.awol.co.za/WobblesWeavesShaking.htm

Thanks Jedi for all your efforts to date and I think you are an the right track with this one .

Mike

Wow, Jedi...looks great! Thanks for taking the time!

Interesting article from SA, I wouldn't mind trying a set of these 'Carl braces'.

Does anyone know where to get a set for 40mm fork stanchions?

Interesting article from SA, I wouldn't mind trying a set of these 'Carl braces'.

Does anyone know where to get a set for 40mm fork stanchions?

Hey G, I tried contacting the guy that created these clamps with no luck. I then started doing some research and asking questions whether these will work as stated or not. The main two faults of the design is that the clamps are not attached to the lower triple tree, therefore will still flex at the point where the forks exit the lower tree and two, the clamps are not attached to each other and therefore will allow side to side flex of the two forks.

Maleko, Jedi and myself have been communicating together to see if we can produce a "clamp" that will improve on the original design and ultimately work and look better.

Mike

Last edited:
Didn't John Polk figure out that the stock fork brace actually doesn't do anything to begin with? The frame and swingarm flexing is where all the problems are?

Maleko, Jedi and myself have been communicating together to see if we can produce a "clamp" that will improve on the original design and ultimately work and look better.

Mike

That sounds great! From what you're saying, it sounds like an H-shaped brace/clamp that bolts to the lower triple-tree would be the way to go.

That sounds great! From what you're saying, it sounds like an H-shaped brace/clamp that bolts to the lower triple-tree would be the way to go.

The final design is still in the works, but with luck and Jedi's expertise, hopefully we can come up with something that will look good and work great.

Mike

Got a modified version now and still would probably change a few things.
The object of the exercise is to reduce flex by somewhat of a margin because the principle of leverage has now changed from the fork exits from the lower tree versus the ground.
The fork legs "walking" should also be reduced because the bridge effect across the clamp. The obvious reason why Yamaha went to 43mm tubes.

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 96
Damn Jedi, that looks really good - I think u pretty much nailed it this time!
A custom part that will work at reducing flex in the forks and look damn good too. Great Job!

Mike

:th_bump_2: +1

Ya me too - how much are we looking at and it will be for the 40mm forks, right?

Will suit both sizes. No idea on cost so far, but it won't be cheap, aluminium or aluminum (depending where you're from) is a horrible price at present and that's before any machining. I might look at alternatives.

Latest posts

Back