DISgusting fuel filter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
Finally got my new fuel filter in the mail the other day and I had a chance to switch it out this afternoon. I never did check the old one, just assumed that it needed to be changed. Looks like I was right...

IMG_6318.jpg

Pretty gross. I've replaced it with a shiny new one, but do I need to worry about the rest of my fuel system?

mmmm good thing you did. feel any difference now?? what kind did you put in/from where?

Finally got my new fuel filter in the mail the other day and I had a chance to switch it out this afternoon. I never did check the old one, just assumed that it needed to be changed. Looks like I was right...

IMG_6318.jpg

Pretty gross. I've replaced it with a shiny new one, but do I need to worry about the rest of my fuel system?

I replaced mine shortly after buying my bike this spring. When I went to replace it, I was positive that the Yammy dealer gave me the wrong one because the one on the bike looked like it was a brushed metal and the new one was a pristine white. Upon further inspection, it was 'originally' white but likely original to the bike, had spider web surface cracks all through it too.. Which reminds me, I should check mine.....:eusa_dance:

mine looked the same...if its rust(i think it looks like it might be) coat or replace the tank,flush your fuel lines and get your carbs cleaned...DO NOT WAIT. mine started out running fine but my filter filled with rust and TINY particles got into my float bowls and made my bike into a rolling shit heap for months! I cleaned the carbs,coated the tank with POR 15 U.S. standard tank sealer and flushed my fuel system.fixed it right up.Waiting for that rust to build up will ruin your day though when your carbs gum up.If its not rust...disreguard all I said. Hope I helped.

THanks for the thoughts. I was planning to pull the carbs and do a pile of other work over the winter anyway. I'll cut open the filter and see if I can tell what the gunk is - but it does kinda look like rust. How big a deal is coating the tank?

I coated a Honda tank that was very rusty, it's a bit of a PITA but do-able. I used Kreem and it worked well - a year later it was still intact.

I have a clean tank for sale if you'd rather go this way - only problem with it is the filling cap needs removed and I have no key for it. I've inspected it through the fuel gauge hole and it's clean inside.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...375962599&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MESELX:IT

Thats exactly why I use the glass window fuel filter and you can buy replacement filters for it. they cqst $10.00 but I like to see whats going through my fuel system.
<<Dave>>:eusa_dance:

Kream is good for coating a tank on the cheap, but PLEASE believe me.It takes longer and is more trouble than what I used. I would bet my bike on it that its better than Kream.Its only $30 too. If you can get ahold of a clean tank instead, that would be really nice and saves some time and trouble.However there is not a way to make pulling the tank an easier ordeal.They really did cram them in there tight.Gotta take a large amount of the rear of the bike off in the steps but it should take only a couple hours if that.No big thing.Worth the trouble for sure.

I coated a Honda tank that was very rusty, it's a bit of a PITA but do-able. I used Kreem and it worked well - a year later it was still intact.

I have a clean tank for sale if you'd rather go this way - only problem with it is the filling cap needs removed and I have no key for it. I've inspected it through the fuel gauge hole and it's clean inside.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...375962599&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MESELX:IT

well yukoner, here's one for ya. im sure you can take the tank to a lock smith and they can make you a key to get the cap off.

My Kreem treatment was only $35 from fleaBay shipped to my door. It did include a cleaner, etching acid and the actual Kreem silicon coating. Still quite a PITA to do, and there's always the chance that you might miss some of the surface as you can't really see everywhere inside a tank.
I also agree that it's easier (and better in the long run) to simply replace the tank with a non-rusty one, and of course I'm shamelessly plugging the fact that I have one for sale lol..
When I removed it, all I did was take off the seat, rear wheel, shocks, fender, the left pillion peg mounts (with the R/R) and the bolted subframe behind it. Then it slides out happily.

got a larger tank in there do you naughty?? or was it cause you lost the key?

the whole bike, other than what's gone already :)

Including an untitled frame, a 1300 Venture motor, both wheels and tons of other stuff. It's going bit by bit, but feel free to ask for anything - it might still be there.

I did the Kreem coating on my first Vmax tank. It had rusted and clogged the filter and carbs. I was definately a PITA, but the shop I delt with wanted a nice chunk of money to do it for me. I did it over a three day period and took my time to do it right, making sure it was good and dry after rinsing and coating. After reinstall, new filter, and draining the float bowls. It ran just fine.

GP

How about this? I had the same problem :bang head:
Dscn0502.jpg

Dscn0510.jpg

Dscn0515.jpg

You'll also have a VERY fine layer of rust in the bottom of your float bowls

LMFAO! Im sorry,I thought I was the only guy who HAD this problem,mine is fixed now and Im sorry you guys gotta deal with it but I sure am happy to know I wasnt the only poor guy to deal with it!Its worth the tank cleaning.Youre bikes will run so smooth when they finally flush out all the tiny particles.

Latest posts

Back