Fuel Leak Part II - Completely stumped.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently 43% of a new one, I'd say, get yours fixed.

Ron Ayres Yamaha
Fuel Tank Comp

1FK-24110-10-33

Retail Price: $527.99

Your Price: $406.55

Here's the thing: would you really want a new one?

Even the guy at the shop said it's the cleanest tank he's ever seen. It's never spent a single night outdoors. It's never been wrecked. The seam just failed. How?

Being a 2007, I wonder if they were getting a bit careless in their manufacturing as it was the end of that model. Maybe a few tanks were used that shouldn't have been.

I've never heard of a tank just failing like that without something causing it: impact, corrosion, whatever.

I'd rather have it weld fixed because with my luck I'd shell out the 400 for a new tank, put it in, get everything back together and 6 weeks later it would fail too.

I don't have an air compressor.

I think what I'm going to do is pull the tank and take it 'round to a radiator shop and see if they can test / fix it for me. If they can't fix it, hopefully they can at least verify that it's leaking and I'll buy another one.

I hope they can weld it though. It would be just my luck I'd pay for a new one, get it installed, and it would leak in the exact same place.
There is a jb weld specifically for tanks that is pretty good. Maybe empty it or mostly, cover a bright flashlight with something that blocks it coming from the fill cap and explore that way. I would say pull the tank but that's kind of annoying until you verify.

If folks would do something novel and actually read the thread, they'd see that it's already been done.

Got the tank back. They did a good job.

It wasn't leaking along the seam like I thought it was. It had 3 pin-holes just below where the fuel filter holder is. It was leaking down from there, then hitting the seam, then rolling down the seam to the corner and dropping down to the frame.

You can barely see where they repaired it.

They also only charged me $150.00

20240419_070257.jpg

That's a deal. Sounds like a leaking roof, a roofing nail 'pops,' and the leak makes the penetration there, but gravity allows it to run down the roof to somewhere else, and you think that's where it's leaking from but it's a ways-away.

Got her back together, put the gas I drained out of it back in it, rode it about 30 miles until the warning light (low fuel) came on, went to Kroger gas station and put as much ethanol free gas in it as I could fit, rode the 4 miles home and parked it.

Two hours later, just now, I took this picture:

no leaks.jpg

NO LEAKS!!!

FINALLY!!!

I'm going to go over it one more time tomorrow and re-torque everything and she should be ready to head to the mountains.

After I wash the hell out of it, that is.

Got her back together, put the gas I drained out of it back in it, rode it about 30 miles until the warning light (low fuel) came on, went to Kroger gas station and put as much ethanol free gas in it as I could fit, rode the 4 miles home and parked it.

Two hours later, just now, I took this picture:

View attachment 93673

NO LEAKS!!!

FINALLY!!!

I'm going to go over it one more time tomorrow and re-torque everything and she should be ready to head to the mountains.

After I wash the hell out of it, that is.
Great job!Glad you got it fixed!

Back