'06 gauges in '89 Max wiring question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mat68046

Reaction score
Picked up a bunch of gear from a retired '06 including the tach gauge cluster.
Looks identical except for the fuel light wiring, theres and extra pin in the red connector (black on red wire)...My harness connector is black.
What is the wiring mod needed or does the '89 sender have to be used?

Cap'n

As I just learned the hard way, the low fuel light is now inoperative (ran out of gas...UGH noob mistake).
May need to splice in something or reconfigure that extra pin in the new cluster harness so that it goes somewhere useful....

I should add that the old cluster harness does have issues, i.e. corroded terminals etc, which necessitated it being changed in the first place, aside from aesthetics....

Picked up a bunch of gear from a retired '06 including the tach gauge cluster.
Looks identical except for the fuel light wiring, theres and extra pin in the red connector (black on red wire)...My harness connector is black.
What is the wiring mod needed or does the '89 sender have to be used?

The oil level and the fuel level indicator lamps are wired differently on the two harnesses. The extra black on red wire feeds one side of each lamp.

The fuel sender wiring appears to be the same for both harnesses

Click on the "Morley's Muscle" banner, go to "How to", then wiring diagrams.
You will see how the new harness will have to be altered, for both of these lamps.
Cheers!

Thanks, Miles

I'll give Morley's a look-see. I did notice the common black-on-red wire for the low fuel and low oil lights....I have to assume the low oil is currently useless too?

I'll report back

Thanks, Miles

I'll give Morley's a look-see. I did notice the common black-on-red wire for the low fuel and low oil lights....I have to assume the low oil is currently useless too?
Reckon so.
I think the extra red/black wire is part of the test system for the oil and fuel bubs, to assure they are working, prior to operating the bike. With the ignition on and the kill switch on "stop", the bulbs should light up.
I would first try wiring the bulbs, as per the '06 diagram (using the new wire on one terminal of each bulb, instead of the brown wires found on the older harness)
The oil level switch wiring (black/red) also appears to be same on both harnesses, as is the fuel level sending unit wiring(green)
Good luck!:punk:

It can be modified to work but as noted it's a heck of a lot easier to swap harness's (when they aren't junk). The pump should still work in the "RES" position but the light will not function and you won't have that nice way for it to die in the ON position to let you know you need to swap it over.

OK, looking at the wiring diagrams (Thanks, Sean!), the extra wire is a power on bulb check for the low oil and low fuel lamps (Ground side switched?)
Seems like if I match the connector pins and mate the black-on-red line to the brown ground all should be good with the world.
Somebody spot me on that?

Latest posts

Back