10-15-11 Martin dragway $20 test & tune

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMax-Mike

Reaction score
Its only $20 per bike to run test and tune at martin dragway from 12-6pm. gates open at 9am. Im not sure i can make it because im working nights. If its not to late in the am when i get done i will try to make it by noon. Im only going if other rider's go.

If you and Lee show up I probally would also.........I'm sure I'd never hear the end of it if I didn't...............:biglaugh:.................Any other Maxers interested?

Hey tom I don't think i'm going to have time to go to martin ...........I might just go for a short ride around town .

Beekeeper and I will be at martin Speedway at 1pm.

Tom you do know how to vidio don't you. Sarchin call me if you want to meet up and ride to martin.

Im up and ready to drag. I will be leaving soon. We need more drag racer. I have never been down a paved track but i cant wait. martin speedway has launch strip's that you can practice your hole shot before you go out on the drag strip. Thank -od. I hope more can make it. What about are tripple digit crew from Michigan.

Sorry guys, I would love to go but I have got a ton of homework and finishing off mid-terms today and tomorrow :bang head:

They cancelled test and tune on account of the wind advisory in effect for today, I believe they will be open next week yet.........................Tom.

"US 131 Martin Speedway!"
I haven't been there in close to 40 years. Last time I went with my brothers, 1 from Bosron, & there was a top fuel exhibition running, I forgot about sitting on the upwind side to avoid the nitromethanol fumes. My eyes didn't stop watering for half an hour! There was an Opel Kadett with a blown Buick 430 cu." & when he launched out of the hole he puked his tranny just past the christmas tree.

fire-medic do you remember a 1968 442 w30 called passing fancy sponsored by uhaul. It ran 10.50's

Ah, Mike, I am sorry to say I do not. I wan't into drag-racing as-much as I was sports car racing, Trans-Am, Can-Am, & Formula 1.

I do appreciate the 442's & had a friend in college who bought a new 1970 442, a gorgeous car, a light/medium green which has always been my favorite color for them. After I moved to FL, one of my friends bought a '70 442 455 c.i. as an investment, it was in good shape when he got it & he had a repaint in factory colors by another friend who painted IMSA GTP cars, among other things. I think it was pretty-much stock and for most people they would consider it 'fast,' but for him he had a Porsche 911 turbo sharing garage space with it, now, that was fast! He sold the 442 in about 1989 for $13,000 after he bought it for I think $7-8K, so he didn't do too-bad.

At the same time as my friend owning the 442 in FL, in the apt building where my at-the-time girlfriend lived was a guy w/a '70 Buick Gran Sport Stage 1, also a 455, that car had torque like you wouldn't believe. I asked him to take me for a ride and it was a lot of fun, any time he used more than a bit of throttle it would just boil the tires! I think there was a lot of similarity between the 442 and the Gran Sport, in execution and function, if not in parts. Back then "young whippersnappers," each GM division had its own engines. Ah, the muscle car era! Gas was cheap and cars were hot. It was about 1971 when they peaked, but of course today's cars are functionally superior to those big-cu. in. cars. Still for people of a certain age who consider themselves 'gearheads,' there is nothing like listening to a small or big-block of your favorite manufacturer winding out thru the gears, either at the strip or a deserted backroad, or maybe on I-94 heading out of Detroit. A lot of engineers from the manufacturers did their 'market research' on the streets in MI.

A stock-based car turning 10.5's is a good thing to see, I assume it was a not-street-legal strip-only competitor. There was a guy around Battle Creek in 1969 w/a Chevy II running a high-compression 327 which made it barely suitable for street use, but it tore-up the stock big-blocks as my friend found out in his '66 Chevelle SS396.

Latest posts

Back