12" or 14" cans?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93vmax

Reaction score
Hi All,

Decided and ordered Marks SS exhaust and wondering guys opinions on 12" vs 14" cans with 2" outlets. Like the looks of the shorter 12" cans. Will they be that much louder than 14" cans?

I have Supertrapps now with 8 disks and like the sound, but my headers are rattling so time for change.

Thanks in advance!

I know most guys like larger cans :eusa_dance: ...

I love 14 s. they are definately louder and have a beautifully deeper tone than stock and they rattle my garage, but six months later I am thinking of shortening them. Maybe I'm going deaf, but maybe I'm insatiable. hahaha

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

I asked mark this question. He said outlet diameter has a much larger impact on loudness than removing 2" from the cans. 12 is louder than 14 for sure but its not going to be anything extreme.

I had 12" cans with 2.5" outlets. It was pretty loud, sounded great!

My Mark's Cans. I have a 12", 2" outlet can with aftermarket packing on my 89, 4-1 system.
It's fairly loud if you're following the bike or an observer. I have 2, 14", 2" outlet cans on my
94, 4-2 system. From on the bikes, they really are about the same level.

I have a video of my 89 running on a dyno in the dyno section... May give you some idea..

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=22940

I asked mark this question. He said outlet diameter has a much larger impact on loudness than removing 2" from the cans. 12 is louder than 14 for sure but its not going to be anything extreme.

I had 12" cans with 2.5" outlets. It was pretty loud, sounded great!

So mab, you think I should consider a larger diametered outlet before shortening the can? Maybe drilling holes around the outlet just like the 5-holing the stock cans would produce a similar effect as what a 2.5" outlet produces? Think I need to wish Mark a "good morning"

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Back