17/18 Inch / Radials : Discuss!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same bike,

18" carr wheels, 1" shorter 430 shocks, Warrior front end with similar drop as before but maybe 1.5" instead of 2".

Sean

Hey Sean
I want that warrior front end, what do I have to do to get one????
I am serious!!!!!!!!

Ok.

So what I gather is this:

17's = Higher RPMS / Faster acceleration. More tire choices.
18's = Same / Lower RPMS / same acceleration. Perhaps the more cosmetic way to go.

I've got both 17 & 18. The 17 screwed up the gearing until I put a venture final drive which made a big difference and I'm happy with it.
For looks I prefer the 18" Harley wheel which fills things up although cosmetically it's different to stock with the 80mm extended swingarm.
Getting a tyre here in NZ for 18" was a bit of a battle though.

Pic of 17" setup. 2" lower front, 1.5" lower rear. 3' stretched arm. Will have pics of the same bike with 18" later to post.

Sean

Is that a 17' Kosman rear wheel, if not what is it? Thanks.

:ummm:

The 17" was an LCR wheel (sold already) and is a stock wheel that was modified by adding lips on it.

The Warrior front end was installed using Otec Triples (not cheap but excellently made). We then made a custom axle and threaded adapter/spacer to reuse the Vmax wheel. The front fender is a cut down R6 I believe (the warrior fender would work easier and look good too). One caliper was washered over to center on the Galfer floating rotors.

Pretty sweet setup.

Sean

I've got a set of 1985 chrome wheels for sale on EBAY now. Both have the radial tires mounted. Front is 18", rear is 17" by Kosman? I don't think they will sell for too much and it would be a cheap way for you to try them. I like these two sizes and you can buy any size O.D. tire in 17" to match the 18 " sizes. If you're worried about that put a Venture final drive in and be done with it. I'm running about 4300 RPM at 75 with my set up. Good luck to you, Spur:punk:

I've got a set of 1985 chrome wheels for sale on EBAY now. Both have the radial tires mounted. Front is 18", rear is 17" by Kosman? I don't think they will sell for too much and it would be a cheap way for you to try them. I like these two sizes and you can buy any size O.D. tire in 17" to match the 18 " sizes. If you're worried about that put a Venture final drive in and be done with it. I'm running about 4300 RPM at 75 with my set up. Good luck to you, Spur:punk:

OK I'm bidding on both. I would love to try these on. Did you find that putting a tube in the rear made any difference at all?

Also, what are you doing for wheels now - did you upgrade to something different? And how much do these wheels weigh - are they heavier or lighter than the originals?

I changed to Chrome RC Components Dagger wheels. The rear wheel is a 6.25" width so I can run a 200 rear wheel correctly. The one I'm selling is 5.5" wide. No problem with the tube as I bought a radial tube and it seems to work well. These are the original wheels so the weight is close to original or less because of less rubber in the tire. Thanks, Spur

I changed to Chrome RC Components Dagger wheels. The rear wheel is a 6.25" width so I can run a 200 rear wheel correctly. The one I'm selling is 5.5" wide. No problem with the tube as I bought a radial tube and it seems to work well. These are the original wheels so the weight is close to original or less because of less rubber in the tire. Thanks, Spur
With 6,25 you gonna run with some serious offset.

And why im always read about min 6" rim for 200 tyre?
200 tyre can fit on 5,5 rim without any problem.
I've checked that.

200 radial tyre will be very close weight to stock couse its steel belted.

:ummm:I'll have to take some pictures and post them. How hard is it to post on this site? Thanks, Spur

Dunlop motorcycle tire chart states 6.00" or 6.50" is the correct rim for a 17" - 200 tire. You can put a 200 on a 5.5" rim buts it's hard to install and seat the beads. I've done it but it's a pain. Thought I'd try what the tire company recommends. Spur:confused2:

Dunlop motorcycle tire chart states 6.00" or 6.50" is the correct rim for a 17" - 200 tire. You can put a 200 on a 5.5" rim buts it's hard to install and seat the beads. I've done it but it's a pain. Thought I'd try what the tire company recommends. Spur:confused2:
But that maybe for car tyres. Typicaly 5,5 rim is perfectly matched for 190 tyre and 6" for 190 or 200 but you can put 190 on 5" but i would not recommend that. All depends from manufacter states.

Maybe this will work for pics. Not sure, Spur:confused2:

Attachments

• DSCN8036.jpg
    DSCN8036.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN8037.jpg
    DSCN8037.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN8038.jpg
    DSCN8038.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN8039.jpg
    DSCN8039.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 48
This is a couple pictures of the wheels I'm selling mounted on the bike. Pics are not too hard to post on this site. Thanks, Spur:punk:

Attachments

• DSCN6467.jpg
    DSCN6467.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN6468.jpg
    DSCN6468.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 61
Thanks, it's an 85 I picked up on Ebay from Florida. I have been working on it since May-2008 and will be done about next summer. All the bead blasted aluminum engine covers are now chrome plated and ready to install. I'll post pics in the next week or so hopefully. Florida air is hard on motorcycle parts. Thanks, Spur :punk:

Back