2001 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilly

Reaction score
Im Buying a 2001 VMAX .
I have some concerns though .
It has been very well taken care of, to the best of my knowledge
In terms of regular maintainance .
It has 49 Thousand km on it though, And my concern is how much life will be left in it .
It starts great, and runs smooth, no knocks, rattles or enything to indicate that somthing is wrong with the motor .
When do things start to go wrong .

Thanx

Welcome to the forum! Mileage means nothing if it was properly maintained. I would rather buy a well maintained high mileage bike, than a low mileage poorly maintained one. One guy here has over 100k miles on his max!!

If I did my calcs right 49K km's is just a little over 30K miles....that's nothing for a v max! If you average it out for the life of the bike it's just a little over 3K miles per year, certainly not overused at all!

I would buy this bike a hell of a lot quicker than an '01 with 3K on the clock! :punk:

If it's been regularly ridden and maintained, it's a great buy. Definitely WAY better than a low mileage one that spent most of its time sitting.

Good price?

First off, welcome to the forum!

I have 45,000kms on my 06 and it's got lost of life left. Had a 96 max that had 112,000 miles on it when I sold it. Only issue was the second gear at 80,000 and that was partially my fault :confused2:

Mileage is not as important as maintenance and a well maintained max will last a long time.

Mike

thanx 4 all the warm welcomes.
I figured as much .
Its just that my shadow has 53.000 km and its startin to get old .
I know I cant really compair the two .
I think ill just let my son ride the shadow in to the ground .
while I break in the, new to me, 01 vmax .
Just thought Id ask to see if there Was a specific weak point to check for on the vmax .
ie (water pump, fuel pump,Stator,rectifyier,clutch,drive train )these type of things .
You know what I mean .
Ive already had to change most of these things on my 84 shadow.
This is why I have concerns ...

starting it and test riding it is gonna answer about all your questions

When you test ride, put it in second and smash the gas, let it wind out. If it jumps out of gear, I'd probably pass, or use that to lever the price down big time. It's a pull-the-motor-split-the-case fix....not a simple job. Bikes that are ridden(and shifted) harshly into second, and often, tend to have the dogs wear out and it will jump out of gear on hard acceleration.

I'd bring a voltmeter to test the battery voltage with the bike running. Vmaxes are known to have a pretty marginal electrical system and often run at less than ideal volts. This is a common reason for the "hard to start/cranks slow when hot" complaint. Ideally you want 14.4v from just above idle, but that's hardly ever the case with these bikes. As long as you're getting at least 13.5 I wouldn't worry about it. Below that, and I'd plan on giving the electrical system some attention/money.

Definitely go a bike with reasonable km on it that is used regularly. I bought a 1992 max 4 weeks ago with only 13800km on it. It has sat for many years in someone's shed, and now i am having ongoing issues due to it not being used. It has been back to the shop 5 times in 4 weeks, and am waiting to have the carb's reco'd.
I will NEVER buy a bike that is old with low km AGAIN

Back