2005 Resurrection

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtieGirtie

Reaction score
I bought this bike a few months back and finally have a chance to begin working on her. She's a 2005 with 21k miles, but seems to have been stored outside uncovered for a good portion of her life - so I paid $2k for her.

The seat was torn and had green growth on it, the fork seals have disintegrated, the rear caliper is starting to lock up, the master cylinders all have molasses in them, the tank is badly rusted inside, the paint is faded beyond belief, the chromed scoops and side covers are peeling, and of course it only runs on full choke.

But I think she's beautiful.

Note: I did clean the rear wheel before the pics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231227-164032.png
    Screenshot_20231227-164032.png
    875 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20231227-165436.png
    Screenshot_20231227-165436.png
    699.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20231227-163944.png
    Screenshot_20231227-163944.png
    845.3 KB · Views: 1
You have your work cut-out. If you do things yourself, you will be satisfied when it's done. I'd recommend removing the gas tank for whatever method of restoration you do to it. Just be sure to remove the fuel sender unit if you try cleaning vinegar.

Electrolysis is best done outside, to reduce the risk of fire. It can work miracles though, if you've seen before/after pictures.

Fixing the brakes and clutch is a good place to get incentive w/o having to spend a lot of $. If the master cyl bores are good, you probably can install rebuild kits, Yamaha has them as well as K&L. Plan on removing and inspecting the clutch slave cyl too. There are rebuild kits for that also. Just be sure that the bore is smooth, if it's pitted, you may not be able to re-use it.

You have a Dremel? They work great for cleaning-up places like the brake innards. The brass bristle brushes you can get for it shed bristles like a porcupine, so wear eye protection (a face shield is best, especially with the cut-off discs) and a heavy outer layer on your body, because if you do that work in a t-shirt, you will look like a porcupine victim after awhile.

https://dn790009.ca.archive.org/0/i...ice-manual/yamahavmaxvmx12-service-manual.pdf
Use the search function and study the subjects you need to undertake.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/vmx12-factory-service-manual.52788/#post-530014
1703875599170.png
1703875753238.png

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/new-vmax-owner-faqs-new-members-please-read.21240/

Last edited:
Thanks, FM!

I de-rusted and coated the tank from another Vmax a year ago. So that one is ready to drop in.

I got the rear caliper off today. Ugh, the pads were so rusted that they fell apart!

I've always had good experiences with Brake crafters for caliper and master cylinder rebuild kits.

Question: with the gas tank out, will it be easy to replace the rear headers? Or will it still be a pain in the arse?

I'd think it would be easier, it's been awhile since I did either one of those, but I bet someone like Sean or Kyle, who does it frequently, will give their input.

It is easier to get to the rear pipes while the tank is out. Also I would pull the swingarm and clean and grease the bearings and that makes the exhaust more accessible.

Thanks! The rear pipes were fine, but I put a lot of pressure on them getting the mufflers off. I'm a little scared I cracked one or something... And I have an extra set sitting on the shelf so figure I should just do it and replace them.

Thanks, FM!

I de-rusted and coated the tank from another Vmax a year ago. So that one is ready to drop in.

I got the rear caliper off today. Ugh, the pads were so rusted that they fell apart!

I've always had good experiences with Brake crafters for caliper and master cylinder rebuild kits.

Question: with the gas tank out, will it be easy to replace the rear headers? Or will it still be a pain in the arse?
Anything removed from behind the back of the exhaust will help. Isn't anything worse than fixing a leak on the slip joint right rear. If you have a aftermarket exhaust.

I bought this bike a few months back and finally have a chance to begin working on her. She's a 2005 with 21k miles, but seems to have been stored outside uncovered for a good portion of her life - so I paid $2k for her.

The seat was torn and had green growth on it, the fork seals have disintegrated, the rear caliper is starting to lock up, the master cylinders all have molasses in them, the tank is badly rusted inside, the paint is faded beyond belief, the chromed scoops and side covers are peeling, and of course it only runs on full choke.

But I think she's beautiful.

Note: I did clean the rear wheel before the pics.
What idiot would abuse such a great ICON like the 2005????? I wanna cry.

What idiot would abuse such a great ICON like the 2005????? I wanna cry.

I feel the same way. I don't understand why people buy bikes, or boats, and then can't do the bare minimum like cover them when stored outside.

The more I did into this one, the better she seems. The rear rotor was barely functioning... I removed it and the pads were so rusted they fell apart... But once the pads were removed both pistons moved freely... I completely took the caliper apart to clean it up and everything looks great inside, even the seals look and feel perfect!

And I emptied the gas tank last night... Damn, I hate the smell of old sour gas.

I feel the same way. I don't understand why people buy bikes, or boats, and then can't do the bare minimum like cover them when stored outside.

The more I did into this one, the better she seems. The rear rotor was barely functioning... I removed it and the pads were so rusted they fell apart... But once the pads were removed both pistons moved freely... I completely took the caliper apart to clean it up and everything looks great inside, even the seals look and feel perfect!

And I emptied the gas tank last night... Damn, I hate the smell of old sour gas.
I have an 05, bought new, and take care of it like a baby.

can you guys see how your 20th anniversary badge compares to this guy's missing one, by your VIN?

I have a model year 2005 20th Anniversary Edition, VIN JYA2WEE025A090049

I got the old tank out. Turns out that was the easy part... I wanted to replace the rear exhaust headers because I put a lot of pressure on them when I removed the mufflers (and I had another pair laying around). What a bitch getting those out/in! But after 2 hours and lots of swearing, it was done. My issues were 1) the heat plate was stuck on the right header, and 2) I had the bike on the center stand. Both items were causing interference when I tried to twist and turn the pipe out. Going in, with the heat plate separate, was much easier.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240103-072646.png
    Screenshot_20240103-072646.png
    721 KB · Views: 0
FORK DAY!

First pic is the old seal and dust cap. Pretty sure I could have gotten another 10k miles out of them, but I figured I would change them anyway. 😜

Second pic is all cleaned up and ready for reassembly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240114-095211.png
    Screenshot_20240114-095211.png
    649.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240114-095233.png
    Screenshot_20240114-095233.png
    679 KB · Views: 0
Oh, and the other fork is still on the bike. I can't get the screw out of the bottom... The internals started spinning with the screw. I'm awaiting long allen wrench sockets to be delivered. Hoping the impact will get it out.

The tube/slider is still together, yes? Makes it easy to get that screw out. Before I had a compressor, I used a manual impact driver, and was always able to get them to release. Now, most people use a cordless impact tool, but I like my Saylor-Beall compressor and the tools it operates.

Thanks, FM! Once I had the long allen socket, the impact got it right out.

And today is CALIPER DAY! Here's the parts all cleaned up, and a pic of the finished product.

Screenshot_20240115-114410.png

Screenshot_20240115-125234.png

I finished the calipers so I started on the brake master cylinder. The bike is a midnight edition, so I feel like I have to paint it black, but the paint came off so easy that I'm tempted to just leave it raw aluminum.

Screenshot_20240115-140458.png

Screenshot_20240115-140427.png

Look for a place doing vapor blasting, the finish will look great in natural aluminum. I see it's been stripped.

An alternative is to hit it with a soda blaster, much-less of a texturing compared to silica sand. Be aware that doing bicarbonate of soda on your lawn is like 'salting the earth,' what was done in warfare to starve the locals, as the land becomes barren for years.

1705363862453.png

$88 on sale at Harbor Freight now. 15 lb. Portable Soda Blaster I have one, and for doing smaller jobs, it's useful. If you don't use it much I suggest storing it for long-term empty, as the media can cake-up and compel a disassembly/cleaning. FYI, the small 'throat' for pouring in the NaHCO3 is a slightly-frustrating exercise in patience. Try using a wide, tall sided funnel w/ some sort of a narrow thin-wall tube to stick in the neck. Their 40 lb can only costs $41 more, and the neck is larger, so 1) you don't have to fill it as-often, and 2) when you do, it will be faster to accomplish, and less-frustrating.
https://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb...MI0eKamM_ggwMVxqVaBR2I_ggfEAQYAiABEgLKV_D_BwE
Here's a SOHC Honda 750 caliper from a long-stored bike I bought for another project, I had some difficulty w/opening this one and when I was successful, this was inside, waiting. In this shot, I already used carb cleaner on the halves. Look at that crystallized brake fluid!

1705364925905.png

One of the caliper screws came right-out, but the other needed more persuasion. A 'pillar drill' is your friend.

1705365144980.png1705365187877.png

To get the piston out I used a grease gun, through the brake bleeder valve, to push-out the piston, these are single-sided piston calipers. Your air compressor is usually only good for ~130 psi while a grease gun can easily generate pressures above 1500 psi. I've never met a piston that withstood the grease-gun method for its removal.

1705365568279.png

Here's the piston seeing daylight for probably the first time in 50 years.

1705365672612.png

And because I had to improvise to overhaul the master cyl first, this is what I came-up with to remove its piston. I could have drilled a hole in a short bolt, and threaded that into the end of the master cyl where the banjo bolt goes, and put a bleeder nipple into that drilled & tapped hole. Then again use the grease gun. But I didn't. I visited the hardware store, and used some pvc fittings to help guide a rod as-big as could fit into the hose port/banjo bolt threaded hole, and a few taps with a ball pein hammer, and it came-out. I did use penetrant spray (I like PB Blaster) from both sides. The square male plug I drilled a hole into the threaded end, to slip-over the rod going into the master cyl body, for a larger striking surface. This tool got me a write-up in Cafe Racer magazine.

I have a bunch of 1970's Honda disc brakes and master cyl's I've used these methods on, successfully.

1705366256802.png

Last edited:
Thanks again, FM! The older I get, the more I know, the more I realize I don't know. Those are some ingenious methods. To date, I've gotten lucky enough to have master cylinders that are functioning enough to push the caliper pistons out before I take them off the bike... except when I forget and then have to put it back on and bleed it just to get the piston out and take it back off... live and learn!

I'll get a pic of the MC tonight. Just a wire wheel and it came out pretty good.

I'm going to rebuild the clutch MC as well. I have read that you like to use the 'reverse bleed' method to bleed lines. Do you think I should do that on the clutch just to get any gunk out of slave cylinder? Or maybe remove the MC so it's just an open line and then reverse bleed it? The clutch is working fine (from what I could tell with extremely limited running) but I would like to flush it while I'm doing this.

Well, either way, you're going to remove any residual crud.

Using a bleeder tool like a Mityvac usually does a good job of removing things, but if you have some-sort of hardened crud in the line (I see you say it works fine now) then that's best to be hose replacement time. I'm fortunate that the guy whose shop I frequent makes stainless-steel hoses any way I need. The hose line on the SOHC 1974 Honda 750 was not flowing when I disassembled the entire front brake system, I used some brake cleaner thru a red plastic tube which comes w/aerosol products like that, and was able to get out the dried brake fluid which had created the obstruction. I bled the syatem and set it up, off the bike, and checked the function. It was working, the caliper was moving/retracting as it should. I was interested to see if the hose line was bulging while under-pressure, it wasn't. For rolling the bike around, (static use) it works fine, but before I use that caliper and MC on a bike under its own power, the hose will be replaced.

For your situation, here is what I'd do: remove the side cover behind which the slave cyl resides. Use the proper allen key in a 3/8" drive socket & extension, and remove the slave cyl. An obvious sign of a leaking slave cyl is an accumulation of fluid beneath the bike, and in the area of inside of the left operator's footpeg. That, and a failure of the clutch to work. Remove the slave cyl, and disassemble it, and inspect the O-ring & dust seal. As you've come this far, if the bore appears to be good, maybe just use some 120/220 sandpaper to remove anything from the cyl bore, and also clean-up the piston.

You can use a vinyl vacuum cap to plug-off the end of the clutch line, or the proper size of rubber tubing over the clutch line & a machine screw in the opposite, open end of the tubing. Remember that brake fluid we commonly use (DOT 3, DOT 4) will remove paint quickly. I use aerosol brake cleaner to cleanse any spilled brake fluid onto the bike's painted surfaces.

Attach a length of clear plastic tubing to the clutch rigid line on the bike, and drain it into a cup to see what comes out, filling the MC once or twice, to continue to flush-out anything in the line. Once you have done that, and you're satisfied that nothing in the way of contaminants is still in the line, you can throw a rebuild kit onto the MC, and reassemble the slave cyl (rebuild kits are available from Yamaha and aftermarket sources, if you go that route, get one from a recognized supplier like K & L), re-install it, and fill the system. If you choose to do a reverse-bleed to fill the system, you will be pushing upwards the brake fluid, and then you will see it gradually fill the MC.

If to fill the brake or clutch system, you do it the traditional way, before I install a clutch master cyl or a brake caliper, I fill the slave cyl or caliper to capacity, and then install it/them. Now you're just dumping brake fluid into the master cyl, and you need to go thru the:
  • fill MC with brake fluid
  • open bleeder at slave cyl/caliper
  • fully-squeeze and hold-in the lever to the handlebar
  • close the bleeder valve
  • release the brake/clutch lever held to the handlebar
  • repeat as many times as needed to see a pull of the lever result in a solid column of brake fluid enter the clear plastic hose attached to the bleeder valve
Now that you have no air entering the line attached to the bleeder valve, performing several rapid pumpings of the brake/clutch lever should get you a firm resistance. If it doesn't, you need to bleed more. Of course the clutch lever should come-back to the bar, while the brake lever should stop about 2/3 of the way to the handlebar.

That should put you back in business, safely. I do not recommend the reverse-bleed on any ABS vehicle.

You said you wire-wheeled the MC, did you do it on a benchtop wire wheel, or did you do it in a drill attachment? or a Dremel? The Dremel is a great tool, I use mine frequently, and while there are more-robust rotary tools Rotary Tools | Foredom Electric Company for considerably more $$, I find the Dremel works for me. I use the 3 ft flexible wire extension w/mine, and that does a good job. Note that laying it out so the flexible line is as-straight as-possible results in the highest RPM from the motor, while having the cable in an S, or a U shape, slows-down the speed of the tool.

A word of caution, anything which gives you pause about returning it to service, always err on the side of caution, and retire/replace it. You need the MC's to function faultlessly. If, after your best efforts, they don't, then replace the faulty component(s). We are fortunate that many of the VMax Gen 1 parts are still available. I generally just replace a MC rather than rebuild it, if the vehicle has them available. You can also search online for replacements, the bore for both the clutch cyl and the front brake cyl is 5/8 inch. Anything you buy should be either 5/8" or 16 mm which is close-enough to 5/8" to not make a difference.

5/8 = 15.875mm so 0.125mm off
3.175% difference
not enough difference to cause a problem with the system
Remember that in the reverse-bleed method, you're allowing the natural tendency of physics to apply: bubbles rise. With an open path via the pieces of the system, caliper, slave cyl, tubing, hose, and the MC, capable of passing fluid without impediment, and no leaks, I've found that for me, the reverse-bleed does the trick. You may have discovered that for your experience, and with the equipment you have and use, another method works well for you. Use what works best for you. If you encounter the "*&%*$#@! system will-not bleed!" then try another method.

A word about the last statement, many people find that using either method discussed, a couple wraps of teflon tape on the bleeder valve threads reduces the introduction of air getting-past the cracked-open bleeder valve.

I open a bleeder valve no-more than one revolution from closed, that's all that you need. And be careful that when wrapping the teflon tape that you do not cover the bleeder hole in the unthreaded, tapered portion of the bleeder.

Last edited:
Back