2020 running ruff. Not a happy camper

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Changing the plugs isn’t that bad especially with all the information on this site, I did mine in a couple of hours. I removed the radiator hose to get the front left,made it easier.I think the plug change is going to take care of you’re problem.My 2009 has 1100 miles on it sits a lot ,hard on my bad hip,ride my 85 more I’ve run additives for fuel that help,but eventually ended up having to change plugs,good luck!

Nope not resolved yet. Brought bike off yesterday to local garage to change plugs. He calls me today and says he won’t do it. So I made an appointment with a Yamaha dealer about 40 min from my house. Let’s see how that goes. Looking into possibly getting a power commander and an autotune. Would like to find someone local that can tune it on the Dyno. I just want the damn thing to run smooth. I’m not doing it for more power. But I’m not gonna complain about more power. I really am regretting even buying this bike right now. Never had issues like this on my gen 1’s. I reached out to Sean for some help hope he can put me back on love affair i had with my bike before it started running like crap. I’ll update when I have good news. Or you’ll see my 2020 for sale on here.
I would take apart the airbox and see if any plastic debris possibly clogged your filter or got caught downstream from the airbox mod. Plugs shouldn't be bad on a 2020, plus I'm guessing you're not getting any misfire codes(CEL)?

Ethanol fuel is the worst. If I had to guess after sitting all winter this could be your problem. It collects moisture. Either drain the tank and add new fuel or add a gas treatment like sea foam “ not a full can” just a 1/4 can should do unless you want a full on smoke show. This should clean your fuel system and help burn off the old fuel. Before I park mine for the winter I add sea foam and run it for a bit then turn off the gas and let it run out until it dies to get all the gas’s out of the carburetors.
Yeah I’ve ridden my bike since late February. At least 5 tanks of gas. But I’m willing to try anything lol.

I would take apart the airbox and see if any plastic debris possibly clogged your filter or got caught downstream from the airbox mod. Plugs shouldn't be bad on a 2020, plus I'm guessing you're not getting any misfire codes(CEL)?
Yeah I’m gonna take a peek. Bike has under 6,000 Miles. So I find it hard to believe it’s the plugs. But all I use is super unleaded and from what I read it could hurt the plugs.

So I bought my 2020 with 2600 miles stock. I rode it a little and over the winter I got a dam exhaust, did airbox mod and had ecu nash flash. When I 1 st got it installed it was perfect. I had a smile from ear to ear every time I rode it. Now out of no where my bike stumbles while cruising. It feels like a carbureted bike to be really honest. No matter what gear when you are at cruising speed it sputters and has a dead spot. It only last until I give it more gas. This is so frustrating. I’ve wanted a gen 2 for years now I have it and just spent a pretty penny on accessories and extra parts. My set of skins are actually at the painters as I write this with a custom designed paint job. But this sputter is driving me crazy.

I’m hoping it plugs. Bike has 5800 miles and is always climate control in garage. She’s never seen rain or a hose.
I’m looking for any help. I do have my original ecu if I throw that inand it still sputters then it must be the plugs right? If I don’t figure this out soon I may be parting the hole damn thing on here. So as you can see I’m desperate I love this bike but I hope I didn’t make a mistake by
Flashing the ecu. I’m ope. To all options. I’ll try a pc5 if it will help. I’m trying to find someone around me so I can get it set up on the Dyno.
Sorry for the long post I’m half asleep but this has been eating at me lately.

Thanks in advance for reading

Mark Massa
Since it ran fine after u did the mods then it’s probably not the mods unless they created some sort of condition that fouled the plugs. Inspecting the plugs might give u some info.
Changing the plugs is a bit tedious but it’s really not that bad.
Ive only talked to the Nash guy once but he made a very good impression on me and he did LOTS of homework to do the flashes. I don’t think it’s the flash that’s casing the problem if u have the correct flash for your pipes.
Don’t u have to install an exup delete connector when u install aftermarket pipes ?
The symptom u describe sounds like maybe fuel isn’t getting where it needs to be quite right.
Im not familiar with the airbox mod but that could possibly effect fuel/air - lean/rich properties.
i would check injectors, fuel pump, etc., the whole fuel system.
If u always buy gas at the same place try someplace different just to rule that out.
I’ve run 89 octane (ethanolfree) in mine and didn’t care.

Yeah I’m gonna take a peek. Bike has under 6,000 Miles. So I find it hard to believe it’s the plugs. But all I use is super unleaded and from what I read it could hurt the plugs.
Premium can hurt the plugs?? What gas are we supposed to be using?

Since it ran fine after u did the mods then it’s probably not the mods unless they created some sort of condition that fouled the plugs. Inspecting the plugs might give u some info.
Changing the plugs is a bit tedious but it’s really not that bad.
Ive only talked to the Nash guy once but he made a very good impression on me and he did LOTS of homework to do the flashes. I don’t think it’s the flash that’s casing the problem if u have the correct flash for your pipes.
Don’t u have to install an exup delete connector when u install aftermarket pipes ?
The symptom u describe sounds like maybe fuel isn’t getting where it needs to be quite right.
Im not familiar with the airbox mod but that could possibly effect fuel/air - lean/rich properties.
i would check injectors, fuel pump, etc., the whole fuel system.
If u always buy gas at the same place try someplace different just to rule that out.
I’ve run 89 octane (ethanolfree) in mine and didn’t care.
Yeah I don’t believe it’s the flash. I have my original ECU and threw it in for the hell of it and it still sputtered. I put some Bk44 in it but I haven’t rode it. Weather has been shitty in New England lately. I’m waiting for a guy with a Dyno to call me back. I want it Dyno tuned. I’ll add the pc5 and maybe the auto tune while I’m at it. I’ll figure it out. I am gonna change the plugs too. But that will be at the advice of the guy running Dyno.

Yeah I don’t believe it’s the flash. I have my original ECU and threw it in for the hell of it and it still sputtered. I put some Bk44 in it but I haven’t rode it. Weather has been shitty in New England lately. I’m waiting for a guy with a Dyno to call me back. I want it Dyno tuned. I’ll add the pc5 and maybe the auto tune while I’m at it. I’ll figure it out. I am gonna change the plugs too. But that will be at the advice of the guy running Dyno.
If he has some sort of exhaust gas analysis to go with the Dino that could help you zero right in on the problem.
id do the same thing

any update on this thread. I am looking at getting the Nash Flash with stock parts except for a K&N air filter.

any update on this thread. I am looking at getting the Nash Flash with stock parts except for a K&N air filter.
No it’s 100% not flash related. I put stock ecu in and it was the same so definitely rules out flash. I haven’t really rode it much. Waiting for a guy to Dyno tune with power comander. I did put some BG44K in it and seems to be better than before. I’m sure when the guy with Dyno takes it he will fix it.

Well worth every dollar!!!! 100%
I don’t think his issue is flash related at all
My 2 cents
Where to get the Nash Flash, it's pretty expensive compared to others. So there is a noticeable difference in the power with stock parts ?

Back