240 wheel and tire set up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littcoz

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post, so I would like to say hi to all!
I purchased a 2002 vmax and would like to convert it to use a 240 wide back tire. I noticed that most of you do not do this and I am wondering why its not a more popular option in the US.

If someone has successfully done this would you please post your experiences and who did the work to the swingarm. I only found one company that does this "Taylor Made". I would like to find a company in the US that does a good job and does not charge $5,000.00 or more. If there is already a topic on this please point me to it as I could not find it.

Perhaps we could compile a list of venders for this.

Does this mod require an "offset wheel"??

Thanks for your help!

:confused2: Hey littcoz, you nailed the reason most people don't add the 240 rear tire, Money. Also is is not as reliable as stock system. You can do a 200 rear for alot less and retail the reliability. Good Luck, Spurs

:punk:Yes it is littcuz, along with a braced, notched, chromed swingarm. This set up is much cheaper than the 240 rear wheel/tire and swingarm. It is also more dependable. Thanks, Spurs

Hi,

This is my first post, so I would like to say hi to all!
I purchased a 2002 vmax and would like to convert it to use a 240 wide back tire. I noticed that most of you do not do this and I am wondering why its not a more popular option in the US.

If someone has successfully done this would you please post your experiences and who did the work to the swingarm. I only found one company that does this "Taylor Made". I would like to find a company in the US that does a good job and does not charge $5,000.00 or more. If there is already a topic on this please point me to it as I could not find it.

Perhaps we could compile a list of venders for this.

Does this mod require an "offset wheel"??

Thanks for your help!

littcoz,

You answered your own question...$$$$ is the reason you don't see many big tire Max's in the US. By the time you get all the necessary items to make a 240/260/280/300 tire work its cost more than the whole bike.

If you have your heart set on it, Otec is the way to go. It comes complete with all the parts to "bolt" it on.

If you don't have the cash...go to a bank and get a loan...put it on your credit card...work some OT...steal it.:ummm:

littcoz,

You answered your own question...$$$$ is the reason you don't see many big tire Max's in the US. By the time you get all the necessary items to make a 240/260/280/300 tire work its cost more than the whole bike.

If you have your heart set on it, Otec is the way to go. It comes complete with all the parts to "bolt" it on.

If you don't have the cash...go to a bank and get a loan...put it on your credit card...work some OT...steal it.:ummm:

+1

Steve Taylor and Otec make some sweet quality stuff, but you get what you pay for and generally you can go out and buy a new bike with the same amount of money your going to put down on a big tire setup. Civitello's setup is a nice bolt on but again your looking at over $10k.

Yo Cuz, if you want a bike with the fat tire, why not a Hayabusa,ZX-14, GSXR as they are a dime a dozen and much easier to convert being chain drive by design. A Max drives better with a 200 series tire. If you have to have a fat tired Gen 1 Max, you gotta pay to play my brother. Gen 2 may be your best bet.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I had a feeling there was no cheap way to do it, but those semi fat tire maxxes looked sweet.

We have a 300 tire bike in the shop working on it right now (mad max kit). The kit fit and finish sucks ass to say the least. It's supposed to be a "bolt on" but it's far from it. Got the exhaust modifications finished up yesterday and will be trying to maybe get it running today (been 3 years according to the owner). For what he paid there should have been instructions and more then just raw finished parts. We are either going to have to modify the fuel tank or hard tail it (we are leaning towards the hard tail). Will try to get a picture or two soon.

Sean

Had the same issue as you. Really like the wide rear tire and rim (only up to 240 though) and budget was limited. Otec was not an option (almost 4K euro) but ran into this steel chromed swingarm. I really like the way this one is braced and it was in use by Rene Bruinsma (Perfect Dream Bikes) on his own showbike. He's located in the Netherlands and known for the extremely beautiful Vmax specials he builds. It costed about half what an alu Otec swingarm would have cost. I have to admit, this one was very neatly finished and chromed. Normally it's delivered a little bit more in 'raw' state. I chose to widen the original rim above alu rims. Due to costs but above all: I really like the original design.

Bottom line: you could consider steel swingarms and do the finishing yourself.

GroteFoto-WWBM4BHE.jpg

Had the same issue as you. Really like the wide rear tire and rim (only up to 240 though) and budget was limited. Otec was not an option (almost 4K euro) but ran into this steel chromed swingarm. I really like the way this one is braced and it was in use by Rene Bruinsma (Perfect Dream Bikes) on his own showbike. He's located in the Netherlands and known for the extremely beautiful Vmax specials he builds. It costed about half what an alu Otec swingarm would have cost. I have to admit, this one was very neatly finished and chromed. Normally it's delivered a little bit more in 'raw' state. I chose to widen the original rim above alu rims. Due to costs but above all: I really like the original design.

Bottom line: you could consider steel swingarms and do the finishing yourself.

GroteFoto-WWBM4BHE.jpg

do want.:worthy:

I saw a fat tire Vmax on texas craigslist a while back..:confused2: Yellow one.

Dont know if it's been talked about but any information on the Avon Venom rear tire ? Uses the stock rim but is wider .:confused2:

Sorry bout the above question...found all my answers after a search...DUH !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back