3D Red Carbon Fiber Vinyl

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcruiser

Reaction score
I want to change up the look of my max. I have never been crazy about the faux tribal decal look of the 2006.

I thought of trying the vinyl wrap look and figured since my new scoops are black carbon fiber, that I would try the 3D red carbon fiber on the body work.

So, the pics are of the faux tank and I'm looking for some honest opinions on how it looks - so let me know what you think.

Mike

Attachments

• 100_1455.jpg
    100_1455.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_1456.jpg
    100_1456.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 100_1460.jpg
    100_1460.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 148
IMO it just needs a little gloss to match the shine of the scoops. But the concept is cool.

^ I agree.
I like it but it does need some Clear Coat so it isn't so dull looking.
Will it handle a few coats of Gloss Clear Coat ?
Where did you get that Faux-Carbon Fiber Vinyl and what did it cost ?

I'm not keen on the vinyl wrap as it always looks like, er, vinyl.

I also agree with Mr 44boyd that it needs to be gloss.

As an alternative why not consider a Hydrocoat carbon effect. The 'weave' is silver but you can lay it onto any background colour so any shade of red would be possible.

Once lacquered it looks 3D

I like it, but I think it would look better if it were darker like the candy red carbon that Sean has posted in his muscle paint thread. The darker background would blend with your carbon scoops and really pop. And I wasn't a fan of my 06 tribal either, and traded Sean for a 05 set. Love it now!
Here's the link for the muscle paint thread: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=7726 Check out the scoop he did in the candy red carbon. Awesome!

I like it, but I think it would look better if it were darker like the candy red carbon that Sean has posted in his muscle paint thread. The darker background would blend with your carbon scoops and really pop. And I wasn't a fan of my 06 tribal either, and traded Sean for a 05 set. Love it now!
Here's the link for the muscle paint thread: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=7726 Check out the scoop he did in the candy red carbon. Awesome!

+1 ......... and he can do BLUE !

^ I agree.
I like it but it does need some Clear Coat so it isn't so dull looking.
Will it handle a few coats of Gloss Clear Coat ?
Where did you get that Faux-Carbon Fiber Vinyl and what did it cost ?

I did clearcoat a test strip last night and it looks like it handle it no problem, but a max of 3 coats as this product is a textured finish. Any more coats and it looses it's 3D effect.

It is pretty cheap product to buy, which is what attracted me to try it. Product is made by 3M. I bought it from www.metrorestyling.com - a 2ft X 8ft piece cost about $70.00 shipped to me.

Mike

I agree with the general consensus, that it is too dull for the gloss carbon scoops. I will try to lay some clear coat on it tonight to see how it looks on the bike.

There is another product from DecalFX that is very glossy, but I don't think it's as flexible as the product that I am using. The vinyl that I am trying is from 3M, called Di Noc and is very flexible when heated. This stuff is very easy to work with.

The red carbon stuff from Sean is beautiful and maybe something i will look at more seriously if this doesn't work out.

Mike

The stuff we did was a dip and just with paint. It doesn't have the 3d and up close you can tell it's not as real. We have another base color dip graphic too that is a little more realistic but will never match a textured applique.

Where's the wasabi? I want a beer, too.

Or is is sashimi?

Attachments

• Sushi tank cover.pdf
    134.2 KB · Views: 30
I started messing with this stuff about 1 year or so ago. My wife is a dealer for 3M Dinoc and it is pretty cool stuff just not the price. LOL

headlamp2.jpg

This Di Noc vinyl is pretty nice stuff and pretty easy to work with. It will wrap around almost any contour.

If you don't like the Sushi look :rofl_200: maybe the snake or crocodile look maybe a better look. There's all kinds of different looks that they offer.

I'm just experimenting with this stuff. I'm trying to get a different look than standard paint.

http://auto-vinil.com/Products.Asp?SortID=76

Mike

Gannon, how did you do that? That's some serious contour work.

Max, do you have the di-noc sticker stuff? I'd love to get some that]s really thin, like what yamaha put on the tins on my '01.

Gannon, how did you do that? That's some serious contour work.

Max, do you have the di-noc sticker stuff? I'd love to get some that]s really thin, like what yamaha put on the tins on my '01.

Yes, it's the 3M di-noc. It's .0042" (2mil) thick and is stretchable with heat.

Hmmm.... Might have to make myself some "carbon" scoops. Especially if I can take it off if I need to.

Latest posts

Back