4-2-1 or 4-2 ????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharky

Reaction score
My first experience of a Max was one on s/traps....sounded like a V8....
That's the sound I want...
My guess, having gone through all the pages, is a 4-1 won't do it...you need 4-2 to get the gurgle...But as I can only view them on an iPad its not the best..

So my question is does a 4-2-1 like the Kerker I have give that sound ?

There's an exhaust sound thread on here somewhere. I feel like you can get the sound you want with a 4-1. I heard a Kerker 4-1 at Sean's place. It sounded like a cigarette boat....awesome.

Posted with my thumbs.

If your first experience hearing a Vmax was in the 80's it probably was a straight up 4-1
I think Hindle and Kerker were all there was at the time?

Anybody know when 4-2-1, and 4-2's started being available?

Also its not just the pipe, the muffler can have a lot to do with it as well.

And if its got full time open Vboost that can change the sound from idle to mid.

I had a Kerker 4-2-1 with a 2.5" comp baffle and open Vboost, now that sounded like a wild cam V8 engine, but was pretty loud too. I than put a Scorpion can on it (16" or so long) and that did quiet it down alot, but also it lost alot of the V8 rumble/crackle though.

Now have a HMF 4-2 exhaust with 12" cans and that also sounds like a V8, but with a deeper tone.

The header will do so much, but the muffler(s) is what will give the final tone of the exhaust.

Mike

KJ's sounds like my ufo 4-2 with the slashcuts... the sound gets in your head and makes your throttle hand misbehave... :angry flame devil:

Sharky I have the kerker 4-2-1 and inlike the rubble it makes

+1

The Kerker 4-2-1 IS the reason I fell in love with the vmax in the 90's.

It looked cool sure..but when that thing fired up..GOT DANG if I didnt get goosebumps. :punk: (i swear I tell that story every now n again)

It is THE pipe for THE vmax sound (imo). Yes, a other pipes sound good indeed.
But that kerker..wow.:worthy:
I also believe that it has to be 4-2-1 for some reason.

Someday I will have one..I hope.

KJ's is the one! One bad mother!! I'd like to get mine sounding like that. Really hope its not a $2000 sound. My $ goes to my kids rather then my bike. But I can deff save and dream in meantime.

Latest posts

Back