6th Annual Spring Ice Breaker

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another great VMOA weekend! I had a great time as I normally do, great bunch of folks and riders that I feel right at home with. The roads and scenery are great in this area and so were the eating establishments. This weekend reminds me that it's the great weekend enjoyed with friends that make the VMOA so great, were it not for the VMOA I would not have had a chance to meet all these great people in Southern Ontario! Thanks to the local leadership that take the time to include the new people!
I was happy that I had another rider from Michigan to ride to and back from The Ice Breaker this year, thanks Jeff. He's a great riding partner that I could count on to always be where he should when riding around some of these crazy cagers! Hey Jeff, how fast do you think that Mustang was traveling? He must have been going close to 100 when he blew past me on the right!
After our last gas stop Jeff and I decided to grab a burger from a Flint burger joint that make excellent burgers and topped it off with a Boston Cooler (Vanilla shake with Vernors blended in - Mmm!) A great way to end a 3-day 1000+ mile weekend!

Hey Redbone,

Did you take a scenic route to get to icebreaker or stick to the main roads to make time? The reason i ask is that I may be taking a trip into Michigan and would be interested in the nicer roads in the UP.

Cheers!

Blaine

Hey Redbone,

Did you take a scenic route to get to icebreaker or stick to the main roads to make time? The reason i ask is that I may be taking a trip into Michigan and would be interested in the nicer roads in the UP.

Cheers!

Blaine
I took the slab to maximize my time at the destination since it was only for 3 days.
The scenic roads in the U.P. as a general rule are by the lakes Huron, Michigan and Superior. The eastern end of the U.P. has some great spots you don't want to miss: Tahquamenon Falls, Pictured Rocks, Soo Locks and Lighthouses. The lakeshore road going west from Sault Ste Marie allows you to (in one day) see the Soo Locks, 3 light houses, Tahquamenon Falls and some curvy roads along the lakeshore. It would involve a ~30 mile trip down a uninspiring State highway to Grand Marais but it's worth the trip. The following day you would be riding through Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore which you 'll see some pretty nice scenery for Michigan's side of Lake Superior.
The west end of the U.P. has (IMO) better roads to ride on just because they are not as straight and has more elevation changes. The Porcupine Mountains, Keweenaw peninsula are destinations along with the lakeshore riding.
Truthfully Canada has a more picturesque lakeshore with all the rocky outcropping into lake Superior and less population centers to mess up mother natures work.

I took the slab to maximize my time at the destination since it was only for 3 days.
The scenic roads in the U.P. as a general rule are by the lakes Huron, Michigan and Superior. The eastern end of the U.P. has some great spots you don't want to miss: Tahquamenon Falls, Pictured Rocks, Soo Locks and Lighthouses. The lakeshore road going west from Sault Ste Marie allows you to (in one day) see the Soo Locks, 3 light houses, Tahquamenon Falls and some curvy roads along the lakeshore. It would involve a ~30 mile trip down a uninspiring State highway to Grand Marais but it's worth the trip. The following day you would be riding through Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore which you 'll see some pretty nice scenery for Michigan's side of Lake Superior.
The west end of the U.P. has (IMO) better roads to ride on just because they are not as straight and has more elevation changes. The Porcupine Mountains, Keweenaw peninsula are destinations along with the lakeshore riding.
Truthfully Canada has a more picturesque lakeshore with all the rocky outcropping into lake Superior and less population centers to mess up mother natures work.

I appreciate the info, Brian. Based on your info I will probably need 5 days for a good tour. Thank you very much!

Cheers!

Blaine

Back