'85 resto & tranny punch list

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Reaction score
hey vmax guru's.... could use a bit of assistance, just aquired a 85, purple, 19k miles, garaged sweet vmax.

tranny appears to be screwed up and will not shift. I tried to do a search on this site but I got so many returns that reading all that would be a full time job for a month... Also, I know that over the years there were some improvements and modifications made by Yamama to the components.

I was hoping that one or more of the guru's on this site might be able to post up or pm me with a punch list of things that should be updated in the motor as well as things to check as potential tranny issues.

I suspect that I will need to pull this motor and split the case in order to correct this issue and if I am going there I will want to know in advance of all the updated components that should be installed while I am at it.... I would want to do it once, do it right, and do it completely...

I am hoping for a document that I can use to guide the project where I draw a line through the completed items and be sure that I have done it all when I am installing the motor in the bike. maybe this doc. allready exists, Idunno... if it doesnt, I would appreciate greatly someone putting one together and Im sure other guys with older max projects will also be wanting to use it as well for their projects.

thanks in advance

--Bacchus

click on the image for a slide show of my last Vmax project, an '89 unfortunately I had to sell to appease the tax man.....sob... fortunately it went to a real vmax nut who took her to the next level..

Do a search for Shift Segment. I only have a quick minute so i can't narrow it down for you at the moment. I am sure someone else might be able to help in the meantime. If it's the segment you don't have to split the engine at all (or even remove it from the bike)!

Sean

did search on shift segment... thanks !

pulled clutch .... new style. everything looks good with the exception of a small amount of damage to small plastic gear, not enough to prevent functionality...

seems like I have 1st, neutral, second, third, and thats it.. stops dead right there...

any more ideas guys??

I'm certainly no expert but I have spent some time with the segment over the summer. Sounds to me like you need to order a new style segment and pin set from Sean. You will have to remove the clutch basket completely to reveal the segment. I used a cordless impact driver with a torx bit to remove the segment without killing the bolt head. It is tight and many people do strip it so just in case order one. Might as well do the DD clutch mod also while you have it apart. I personally find the clutch too tight with the second spring added but it does prevent any slippage. What do you mean by slightly damaged plastic gear? If I remember correctly, this gear drives the oil pump. It is critical to make sure this gear is 100% or your engine can be in big trouble if your not moving oil. While we're talking about oil, might as well drop the oil pan to see if you have a bulging oring on the elbow that comes from the oil filter. If you do plan to pull the engine then do a compression test first. That will at least tell you if you have to replace the rings or reseat the values.

You need to have either the bike running to make the trans mesh when sitting still or rock the bike back and forth. I'm surprised you even got past second gear.

so are you saying Im not necessarily screwed just yet??

every bike i've ever played with needs the engine running or to rock it back and forth to switch gears..

I'll pull it off the stand tomorrow and see what happens...

ok, moving the bike around did nothing.... however moving the clutch shaft did ! seems like I got five to me...I guess the moral of the story is never assume what the seller is telling you is correct.... hope to get a new battery in her and clutch installed in a couple of days when I get time...then we'll know for sure if I am going to have to change my screen name to Mr. Lucky..

now for the next issue..... seller said that he and his son both used the bike and it started jumping out of second gear.... said that his son tore the bike down and replaced shift fork, then put it together and when they got it back together it would not shift... what do you guys think about the shift fork daignosis..... Im thinking those gear dogs prolly needed to be cut...

seller also said that I shouldnt worry cause his boy has a college degree and he is pretty smart....so he should be able to fix a vmax....

what we got here is a vmax that a college boy been messin' with... why am I afraid.....lol could be worse I suppose.... he coulda had the dealership work on it !

yeah.... I was afraid of that....

I am going to put her back together, see if I can get her running and see what happens ....

hey sean... you thinking under cut the tranny or is there another way to cure the problem?

If it's popping out of gear under load (most common problem) then the only cure is undercut or replace the gears.

did I see some info on the fourm about the gears themselves being updated?? I have an '85.... If this is correct could you please tell me more about this update....what is required etc..

You won't know until the trans is taken apart. The gear meshing changed on the 2nd/5th gear primary shaft. It would require replacing both of those gears (which the 2nd is actually a 2/3 combo gear). That would be the perfect time to upgrade to the overdrive 5th since you'd be replacing one of those gears anyway.

Sean

assuming the bike is popping out of second gear , and I have the old style gear in the trans, wouldnt replacing second and fifth fix the problem??

It may. Likely there are more worn gears then those two. You'd have wear on the mating gears too.

aside from the tranny work that will probably need to be done, and the shift segment which is allready updated, do you have any other recomended tasks that I should consider doing while the case is split?

Latest posts

Back