88 model forks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmem8

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am currently replacing my fork seals(again) and I had a little accident the fork tube rolled off the bench and when it hit the cement it scratched the Guide bush that clips on the very bottom of the tube. There is no other damage. My question is will I have to replace it or will I get away with it?
(I know its hard to say without seeing it but maybe someone out there knows this part well and knows how accurate the tolerance needs to be?)

PLEASE HELP:ummm:

i'd venture to say that it really depends on the extent of the damage. i mean exactly how bad is the scratch? if it's just a blemish, polish it out. but if the scratch is significant, replace it. however that is the "cheap bastard" side of me talking. my more conscientious side will refer you to the haynes, which states "if worn or scuffed they must be replaced with new ones--they are worn if the grey Teflon coating has rubbed off to reveal the copper material."

A small gouge will not usually cause an issue since there is a large surface area. When they are worn the entire surface is worn causing slop. A gouge or nick only effects a small section and will usually not be an issue.

Sean

Ok really appreciate both of those replies.

Sean I dont know how you find the time.

Cheers, Jared

Back