96 Vmax high speed miss...need help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyg-5386

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm in a bit of trouble with my 1996 vmax. It is currently in the shop. Here is the breakdown of what occurred and what was done. I noticed one of the carbs was leaking a bit and the bike was bogging down intermittently. I have a reputable mechanic who has worked on my other bike (79 xs1100) numerous times so I brought the bike to him to checkout. I explained what was happening. He kept the bike for a few days to check it out. He then called me and told me that he found a loose fuel line that may have been the cause of the problem. He also said that the carbs were way out of synch so he synched them. He then said he would test ride the bike and get back to me. He then called me back to let me know that he rode the bike again and in the beginning of the ride the bike seemed ok but then it started doing what I originally described. He then decided to rebuild the carbs. It still did the same thing. He then decided it was ignition related and decided to replace my cdi with a new dyna ignition. He told me that after he changed the ignition the bike was test ridden and said to be fine. I go to pickup the bike and I pay him. I get on the bike and proceed to the nearest highway. I get the bike up to about 4500 -5000 rpms when shifting gears and the whole bike starts to shudder as if there is some sort of miss or fuel starvation. The bike seems to run fine until you really start getting on it. I rode the tank to almost empty, refueled and decided to take it for a decent run the next day to see if it cleared up. Nope. The bike is now back in the shop and the mechanic is kind of stumped by the problem. Any ideas at this point would be greatly appreciated. I already posted this on vmoa.net. I'm just looking for more ideas. The responses I got are below.

If your bike is running rich it will generaly show-up around the 4K~5K RPM range, this seems to be a common issue. If the carbs are stock setup have him check the float levels they have to be right first before you try to setup anything else.

+1 on the floats! First thing I thought was that there is a stuck float and the bike is pulling that bowl dry and the bike is starving for fuel at high RPM.

I will have him re-check the floats but I'm fairly certain he went over the carbs thoroughly when he rebuilt them and that's why he went after the ignition as the next step.

He checked the floats...they are set correctly. Any other thought?

These carbs are NOT like others out there. They aren't as easy as people think, but they're not hard either. If he rebuilt them, then he would have had the bowls off and should have checked the float levels. I'd guess he didn't do that though. Your bill would have been VERY high if he'd have done a full on rebuild.

IMO your best bet is to send the carbs off to someone that KNOWS them if you're not wanting to work on them yourself.

Sean Morley would be one such person.

Chris

Still think a float could be stuck or as another possibility check your bowl vents. We had a guy here in Ontario that had me take his bike out for a test ride that was doing the same thing and it was caused by a kinked off vent hose. Might also explain why it worked for him if he ran it without the faux tank maybe????? Just a thought.

Last years Spring Icebreaker Tyler and Damon had a air box off trying to diagnose a problem and they determined that one of the vent hoses had been pinched off when the air box was reinstalled. It had creased the line so they were worried that it was going to be a continuing problem even after the hose was correctly routed with air box installed.

Last years Spring Icebreaker Tyler and Damon had a air box off trying to diagnose a problem and they determined that one of the vent hoses had been pinched off when the air box was reinstalled. It had creased the line so they were worried that it was going to be a continuing problem even after the hose was correctly routed with air box installed.

Yep, that's the one! Symptoms were VERY similar. Had to jog my old man memory to recall that one LOL.

Experience with outboards tells me +1 on a pinched vent. Poorly vented fuel tanks with an outboard may run OK at low speed and under light/moderate throttle, but when you get romp it just falls on its face. The vent may allow just enough air in under light fuel consumption, but when it gets thirsty you get a vacuum in the tank the fuel pump can't overcome.

A fast 'n nasty way to check this is get the plastic top from one of those Pringles chip cans, poke a hole in it, then tape it over where the gas cap would go. Take it for a ride and see if the problem goes away....that will tell you if it's a vent issue.

thats for a fuel tank vent, not a carb vent eh?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. He has tried everything you guys suggested and still no go. He's had the bike for over 2 months now..

Just food for thought no matter what you try get to the basics did you or he check your fuel filter sounds dumb but a clogged filter have stumped many a person. May also want to check your fuel pump it works but is it putting out enough pressure to run above 5,000 rpm you may be surprised there too big fixes are fine but always start at the basics first. this will keep your wallet fatter and you riding more often.

Has he checked the air box boots for leaks around the top of the carbs? When they are loose you will not get the rpms above 5000

I did not want to leave this topic open with no final conclusions so here goes. After swapping numerous parts that did not resolve the issue my vmax finally left me stranded on a parkway. I was actually quite relieved when it happened. It was the fuel pump. It was probably dying a slow/intermittent death and that was the cause of the issue all along. The fuel pump has been replaced and the bike is roadworthy again. Thanks to all who responded and a special thanks to Sean M for loaning me parts, giving me advice/hints/tips and responding to emails so quickly.
This is a great forum!!! Happy Holidays!!

Got a ton of snow here! I'd be happy to be able to ride my Max even if it did run crappy, rather than shoveling the white stuff.....:bang head:

Quote, Me:
Checked the Fuel Pump output?

Checked the Fuel Filter?

Wow, I was in the ball park, It was a Fuel Pump Problem. Wish I did that well with my own problems....:ummm: I guess that's why I love this site, I have all of you "Brothers in Arms" VMaxers to help.:biglaugh:

Back