98 vmax $$?, opinions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06VMAXIMUS

Reaction score
My daughters boyfriend has been looking for a used bike at a decent price. He found a 98 vmax in stock condition with only 4,500 miles on the clock at a local stealership that is selling it on consignment for another customer. Bike blue books in at like 3200, not taking into consideration the low mileage. He has talked them down to 3700 out the door, but I found a few simple-fix issues after test driving it. 1)-Fork seals are leaking, 2)-tach doesn't work, and 3)-left front brake line is leaking, and pissed all over the rotor (no wonder it didn't stop worth a crap!) Salesman said he's gonna have their mechanic look at the bike today to confirm the problems, and determine if they are gonna fix it or lower the price even more. So, what do you guys think of the price? Bike runs smooth, pulls strong, and shifts through the gears correctly. No rust at all in the tank, and cosmetically only has a few boot buckle scratches on the right side cover.

i'd say 3700~ with those issues fixed doesn't sound bad.

tell him to tell them fix the issues and replace the springs with progressives and you have a deal.

3000~ without the issues fixed seems a good starting point. just the parts for the rebuild on the brakes/forks could be $200.

tell him to tell them fix the issues and replace the springs with progressives and you have a deal.

3000~ without the issues fixed seems a good starting point. just the parts for the rebuild on the brakes/forks could be $200.

+1 I sold my 95 for 3000 with no issues...3700 if they fixed them would not be a bad price at all with the low miles.

BUT with the bike sitting for the bulk of its life there may be some underlying issues that have yet to develop...dry clogged areas in the coolant system, dry cracked clutch plates, possibly an oil leak develop from dried gasket/seal in the motor or top end. I would rather buy a bike that has been ridden and know what the issues are than a bike that has low miles but has been sitting still for 13+ years. IMHO

+1 to all of that....

You might be better off taking it for the $3k unfixed and just do it yourself (if you can) and go progressive and braided lines while your at it.
That'll be 'bout $300 in parts.....and a nicer safer ride.

Hopefully you just have a loose wire somewhere for the tach problem.

Pardon my hijack... but where did you look up the value of the '98? Got a link?

I'm going to get my '98 ready for sale this weekend and was trying to decide on an asking price. I was thinking $3500, but it sounds like that might be too high? (21.5K miles, completely stock with factory fly screen and passenger backrest w/luggage rack - needs tires though.)

Scott

Scott, I think $3500 is a good starting price even if it needs tires, remember, you can always come down to make a sale!...................Tom.

Try Kelly Blue Book or NADA.
Both are close so you can take an average......NADA is more realistic though.
They also give you a price for your region........your going to pay more for a 90210 zip than a 3330 zip:ummm:

By the way average for south florida according to NADA is $3300 so your right in the ballpark...$3500 sounds good.

i would get them to give him a 30day (at least warranty) on the bike

my concern with doing the work yourselves would be that they may not then offer a warranty (say for a 2nd gear issue or major carb work etc etc)....

Is there a reason you're buying from a dealer? If you're paying cash then why not put the money you'll pay in taxes and dealer fees towards a newer vmax, private partly might be more inclined to deal. Unless of course, he's getting in financed then you have no choice.

No financing. Cash deal. There aren't too many used vmaxes around here that are REASONABLY priced....some people are crazy with the prices they are asking. The dealer was firm about no one riding the bike. He said his insurance would not cover it...which I think was B.S.. Anyway, when he saw me pull in on my vmax, he lightened up and let me take it for a ride. No problems at all, except for the crappy front brakes that are soaked with brake fluid and fork oil! KBB or NADA is where we got the pricing, but it wouldn't take the low mileage into consideration. Previous owner kept it in a climate controlled garage, and the dealer claims they went through the carbs when it was brought to them in March. I agree with you guys, a low mileage bike usually throws up a red flag to me....I'd rather see it have some use, than sitting and rotting. Thanks for the input so far, you guys (as usual) are great!

I doubt that bike would come w/any warranty. I am surprised they would sell it w/braking issues, seems like their liability would be v. high. Is it a dealership? I would be surprised if it was. $3K & fix it yourself sounds like a better deal. You should check the odometer function too.

Yep odometer works well, and according to the dealer, the tach "was working earlier in the day" when he started it to take it outside. Dealer is only selling the bike for a private owner. None the less, when we showed him the leaking brake line, he refused to talk any further until the mechanic looked at it. The dealer did call my daughters boyfriend today and said they were going to get a price worked up to correct the problems, and call the owner and see how he wanted to progress from there....either fixing it or dropping the price further. I'm guessing when the guy sees the repair quote, he will lower his price!

I would say, "he'd better!" Of course, no one has to do anything except ask exorbitant $$ for an unsafe bike, which could be fixed by a savvy owner, but the asking price should reflect it.

Good used VMaxes here are avail for that $3-4K range, maybe a bit older ones for less. Always figure on spending a few hundred bucks for (some or all) things like tires, a battery, brake pads, oil & coolant, etc. It isn't hard to run up a $600 bill for parts if the bike has been neglected: $250-300 tires, $100 battery, brake pads $90, oil & coolant $50 inc. a filter, misc stuff...you can get there in a hurry.

I would say, "he'd better!" Of course, no one has to do anything except ask exorbitant $$ for an unsafe bike, which could be fixed by a savvy owner, but the asking price should reflect it.

Good used VMaxes here are avail for that $3-4K range, maybe a bit older ones for less. Always figure on spending a few hundred bucks for (some or all) things like tires, a battery, brake pads, oil & coolant, etc. It isn't hard to run up a $600 bill for parts if the bike has been neglected: $250-300 tires, $100 battery, brake pads $90, oil & coolant $50 inc. a filter, misc stuff...you can get there in a hurry.

+ 1 on getting there in a hurry. All the more reason to work on it yourself & save the labor charges , and it gives you a more satisfied feeling , knowing you did it , and more importantly , did it right.

once i get my 1997 working properly (carb hiccups), i'm thinking of selling it. i really wanted a Gen 2 when i bought this bike.

Pardon my hijack... but where did you look up the value of the '98? Got a link?

I'm going to get my '98 ready for sale this weekend and was trying to decide on an asking price. I was thinking $3500, but it sounds like that might be too high? (21.5K miles, completely stock with factory fly screen and passenger backrest w/luggage rack - needs tires though.)

Scott

Hey Scott,
Where you located? I have $3000 burning a hole in my pocket and need a Max.

Latest posts

Back