A little dissapointed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedmax

Reaction score
Well, Ive had the Gen II for 600 + miles now, did the first service last weekend. Im a little dissapointed, Its noisie , not loud :bang head:(I started looking:ummm: for exhaust leaks)
Yes its fast, pulls good, but it doesnt have the tire smoken power I hoped it would.:bang head: Yes if you stab it in 1st it can become uncontrolable :biglaugh: and it is fun to leave my mark across alll the cross walks while in 1st ,but It wont do a rolling second gear smoker:confused2: at any speed to WOT.( Did I get a bad one ?) Im also still working on getting the suspension just right, but in all fairness that could just be due to the fact that I only weigh 150lbs (good and bad) and It does handle well now that Im not afraid to lean it, ( some of that fear was due to the fact that the first 500 mile were in 35 -40 degree weather.)
Mileage is'nt bad if your not way in it, Ive gotten 33mpg with it...................but If I start playing Ive gotten as little as 66 miles before the light came on or maybe 20-22 mpg

:confused2:I guess I will have NO CHOICE, but to gut the extra cat I have and to get one of the Guru's ECU's, if not this season next winter.

They make good power and with the ECU opened up with Tims work it becomes a lot more fun. The one thing I was surprised about was the even pulling they make when they are closer to stock. It doesn't have the feeling that it's pulling harder and harder the higher you get in the RPM's.

Handling is far improved over the original but most don't ride their gen 1's to anywhere near the bikes potential much less one of these.

I am not really sure just how fast I could put one of these through the corners in Eureka Springs? I already run the gen 1 through there at a good clip (and have still not quite pushed it all the way other then one time when I was keeping up with a pair of ZX10's).

I like the bike overall though the star site guys think I don't lol. I do prefer the stance of look of the gen 1 though.

Sean

Sean,

I still prefer the Gen1.

If I want to go all out it now has to be the 2012 ZX14R, otherwise the Gen1 is for me.

Yama missed the boat.

O

I sat on the ZX1400 yesterday, it may be fast but its not comfortable for me.

rick i wonder if the fact that its still heavy hinders it for you. something like a z1k or a s3 might really do it for you?

no, its amazing how unheavy the Gen II feels when its moving.I like the bike, its just doesnt have the balls I hoped for. maybe I just need more time on it..............or maybe its that danm monkey on my back.

Just wondering, have you given the BMW S1000RR a try? Not to say it's be comfortable in any way whatsoever, but as far as thrills are concerned - almost 200rwhp and maybe half the weight of G2 Max..

Haven't had a chance to ride one of them yet. BUT, I suspect it will not have the low end grunt that the vmax's have. BUT, top end pull should be a monster.

I know the gen 2 has the throttle by wire and is severly restricted. I think he'll be happy once he gets a flash done on it where it actually lets the throttle plates open in relation to the actual amount of throttle given.

Sean

I totally understand where you're coming from.

After owning a couple of Gen I's, I had my heart set on a Gen II until I test rode one.

It was hard for me to believe how much the Gen II felt like the Gen I. Of course the power was the main difference. I ending up finding a low mile 06 and have not looked back.

The "Icing on the cake" was I spend half as much.

You really need to have the flash done Rick. Stock the Gen 2 is limited to like 138mph or somewhere close to that. From all I've read on it once you get the restrictions removed you'll have a whole new bike. Not sure why the restricted the Gen 2 but they don't the Suzuki's or Kawasaki's but let me know how you feel once you get her dialed in. I thought a few times of selling mine and getting one but to get one to be as custom as I'd want it I'd have to sell a Lung or some other important body part. Lol, no seriously, I would. But if I can ever pull it off I'd like to have mine and a Gen 2. Like you.

Haven't had a chance to ride one of them yet. BUT, I suspect it will not have the low end grunt that the vmax's have. BUT, top end pull should be a monster.

I know the gen 2 has the throttle by wire and is severly restricted. I think he'll be happy once he gets a flash done on it where it actually lets the throttle plates open in relation to the actual amount of throttle given.

Sean
+1, those guys that had the Nash FLash early on were raving about the difference. I hope it helps bring out the inner beast for you Rick!!

Well, Ive had the Gen II for 600 + miles now, did the first service last weekend. Im a little dissapointed, Its noisie , not loud :bang head:(I started looking:ummm: for exhaust leaks)
Yes its fast, pulls good, but it doesnt have the tire smoken power I hoped it would.:bang head: Yes if you stab it in 1st it can become uncontrolable :biglaugh: and it is fun to leave my mark across alll the cross walks while in 1st ,but It wont do a rolling second gear smoker:confused2: at any speed to WOT.( Did I get a bad one ?) Im also still working on getting the suspension just right, but in all fairness that could just be due to the fact that I only weigh 150lbs (good and bad) and It does handle well now that Im not afraid to lean it, ( some of that fear was due to the fact that the first 500 mile were in 35 -40 degree weather.)
Mileage is'nt bad if your not way in it, Ive gotten 33mpg with it...................but If I start playing Ive gotten as little as 66 miles before the light came on or maybe 20-22 mpg

:confused2:I guess I will have NO CHOICE, but to gut the extra cat I have and to get one of the Guru's ECU's, if not this season next winter.

I'm a little surprised......first time I've heard a comment like that from someone who actually owns a Gen2 and has spent some time with it.
With somebody your weight on it is is a high 9sec bike bone stock if you just remove the limiter. I ran 9.8's on mine with a race ECU and x-pipe at 205lbs suited up.

I can tell you that adding an exhaust alone does make a big difference. You gain 10 - 15 HP and lose 20-25lbs of weight. You feel the difference immediately on the first ride.

If you want to keep the bike stock you may just want to re-flash the ECU (GuruedGear.com) that alone will pick up .4 seconds in the 1/4 mile and improve the drive-ability immensely.

As far as the suspension, it may be tricky to get it just right at your weight, but you'll get there.....and this bike can go around turns like nobodies business....believe me! (see photo below)

gap11.jpg

Itgoes
It may be due to the fact that my gen I makes pretty good power and I may be just a little crazy( even though I have a papper that says Im not anymore. ) I belive that with Tims ECU and some exhaust mods I will be happy,its just that for the money I hoped not to have to put more into it to be satisfied. As for handling I have no issues there aslong as I remember LEAN,LEAN LEAN. the motor is noisie to me too but If I can get with some other GEN II 's and listen to them that may put my mind at ease,After seeing the pic of the internals on the STARMAX forum ,I can understand why it would be noisie but dont know if mine is extra loud and the dealer hasnt heard any others.

Hey Rick,
not sure what your running for break-in oil.... YamaLube? Maybe a change in oil / viscosity might help quiet things down a bit ? :ummm: I'm sure there's an answer on the StarVmax site for ya !

im sorry to hear it wasnt all you thought it was gonna be man. maybe you'll get braver and twist it harder as you get more used to it. ive had mine over a year now and i'm just now getting comfortable with wheelies and rolling burn outs. my only gripe is my fuel economy. its absolutely abysmal. i just feel like i'm always buying gas when i ride this bitch.

i work at honda and commute on a 2010 honda fury chopper, and it gets 125-140 miles before the low fuel light comes on. and when i gas it up it only takes 2.6-2.8 gallons. not 3.5 like the max does. and the max low fuel light comes on at 50-65 miles. the fury i ride it like im trying to blow it up, wide open throttle bouncing off the 99 mph speed limiter on 15 mile long backroads, and it still pulls 45+ mpg.

however, every time i jump on the max after a fury ride i scream OH MY GAWD after i punch it down the road after pulling out of my driveway.

the gen 2 really is a marvelous machine. the handling, power, braking, quality is all there. as far as second gear burn outs go, i havent had one either. i do have the occasional going into 3rd gear wheelie or 4th gear squeal. but i have done several wheelie burn outs i cant repeat. it can leave a stop so fast it screeches like a banshee and wakes everybody up while the front wheel isnt even on the ground. there probably arent too many bikes that can do that... maybe a rocket 3?

and yes my motor clanks and clanks. im not worried about it. im about to turn 10k miles on mine.

dont sell it yet bro give it a chance to warm up to you.

edit: actually i take the 2nd gear burn out thing back, i havent done a burn out going into second, but i have gone through the gears on several occasions and when powering through 2nd and even third... had the rear tire slip up and bounce me off the rev limiter. and thats at like 50+ mph and it still breaks loose.

oh and by the by, in case noone has told you yet. these gen 2s EAT TIRES. im needing a new rear every 3k and a new front every 5. the front wheel has a lot of weight on it and it scrubs the meat off in no time. when i get off a twisty road i can just peel off layer after layer of scrubbed rubber off my tire. i mean pieces as big around as quarters all over the bridgestones. and to make it worse, the OEM bridgestones wear AWFUL they stay raised up in the center from the hardness, and lower on the sides. so the bike is hard to turn and takes a lot of effort... then "falls in" after the raised up spot is over. the gen 2 handles well for about 1500-2k miles. then both tires honestly need replaced. but im a tight ass and ride them to the wire. i have heard of people saying they rode a friends gen 2... and the handling SUCKED.... well... thats most likely what happened. they rode one with 3 week old tires.

and i still dont feel like i have near the emotional bond with my gen 2 as i did my gen 1. just sayin'. i dont know if i need to paint it or what but it just doesnt feel as personal as id like.

the gen 1 was definately the old school muscle car of bikes.

and for everyone who is considering a gen 2. you need to factor in the cost of ownership. i got just a rear tire installed for $270.00... and thats after negotiating them down. and every time you take the bike out... expect to drop 30-40 bucks on gas. my astro van is easier on fuel.

it might only be 13-16 dollars each time u fill up. but 55 miles comes and goes in no time. 3 gas stops in 3 hours adds up fast. and i can honestly say that keeps me from putting as many miles on it as i'd like. its just annoying having to plan gas stops for short rides that arent even day trips. i feel like i can never go joy ride my Vmax and explore because its always low on fuel. its literally just a round town basher.

i remember when i took the gen 2 to tennessee i called it close literally every time we went out. i filled 3.7-3.9 every time we got gas. it makes it impossible to enjoy a day ride in an unknown place knowing that you can be stranded in 15-20 miles. because literally when that low fuel light comes on its got 1 gallon left... 1 gallon in a vmax aint shit!!!!

I am not going to lie, I have always kind of been envious of the Gen 2s but price has always been an issue, and well I just got my Gen1 less than a year ago, its mostly just a window shopping thing. :D

But I got to say, I have seen more complaints about this bike than anything else.

( maybe you'll get braver and twist it harder as you get more used to it. ) Matt IM TWISTEDMAX, I can/do hold it WOT in second and no rolling burnout! Iv tried the WOT IN every gear, not for long because she does pull hard, My only complaint is 1st 2nd and 3rd 's responce, I want to break the tire loose at will In 2nd and 3rd, and this bike wont with out clutching it.

i remember when i took the gen 2 to tennessee i called it close literally every time we went out. i filled 3.7-3.9 every time we got gas. it makes it impossible to enjoy a day ride in an unknown place knowing that you can be stranded in 15-20 miles. because literally when that low fuel light comes on its got 1 gallon left... 1 gallon in a vmax aint shit!!!!

This is still my biggest gripe with the Gen II - they upgraded everything, cc from 1198 to 1760, power, most everything anyone asked for on the Gen I, and then left the same tank size in there! WTF were they thinking!? Had they not heard about everyone fitting bigger and auxiliary tanks to the Gen I?

( maybe you'll get braver and twist it harder as you get more used to it. ) Matt IM TWISTEDMAX, I can/do hold it WOT in second and no rolling burnout! Iv tried the WOT IN every gear, not for long because she does pull hard, My only complaint is 1st 2nd and 3rd 's responce, I want to break the tire loose at will In 2nd and 3rd, and this bike wont with out clutching it.

no, youre right. youre right. to do any kind of consistent tire breaking youre gonna have to clutch it. like these guys on starvmax doing these 100+ ft black snakes.. i think those are all clutching from a stop and banging into second gear. i need my bike to last so i clutch every time to shift and i dont clutch drop on the throttle either.

my bike when i punch it in first around 6k rpm stands straight up. no burn out unless i lean forward

Back