Affordable GPS

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for which GPS works well but still affordable....say in the $150 range.

Also, is a bluetooth comfortable under a helmet? I'm assuming that wireless is the way to go....right?

Thanks

Ill get you the name of a system for blue tooth Dan, Jamies got a "chatter box" kinda system forget the brand name, works awesome and it has wireless hook up for blue tooth and works pretty good he says. little speakers in your helmet, great sound and just have to say answer or dial to make or answer calls. can also hook up a mp3 or ipod to it and have toons while riding.
guess if you play a recording of your bike wide open it might make you feel like your driving faster then you actually are hahahahah :punk:

Dan,
Mikey and i use interphone wireless bluetooths.
very comfortable and works great on a long ride such as the brownie run, we can talk to each other the whole way and it works great with your cell phone too. voice activated so you dont have to take your hands off the handle bars or the horn button to answer your phone when your rockin and rollin :biglaugh:

I'm thinking of this upgrade for 2010.

http://store.randmcnally.com/road-atlas/rand-mcnally-road-atlases.html

Second row down, middle item.

It looks like a bargain, and the one I'm currently using is getting all torn at the fold and coming apart. I hate to spend that kind of money this early in the year though, and might hold out to see what Santa brings me at Christmas instead. :ummm:

I might have to get stronger reading glasses to keep up with that kind of new technology - what with all the finer print in that mid-sized model, and all. :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

I think I screwed the question up....here goes again.

My wife wants to get me a Garmin GPS for F/D that I can hear inside my helmet with either a remote speaker or ear bud.....for $150 or less.

I thought the blue tooth enabled meant I could hear the voice directions thru the blue tooth but I guess that's not right!

Might have to take jfeagins suggestion and go with better glasses! :rofl_200::rofl_200:

I think I screwed the question up....here goes again.

My wife wants to get me a Garmin GPS for F/D that I can hear inside my helmet with either a remote speaker or ear bud.....for $150 or less.

I thought the blue tooth enabled meant I could hear the voice directions thru the blue tooth but I guess that's not right!

Might have to take jfeagins suggestion and go with better glasses! :rofl_200::rofl_200:
I've been considering getting a GPS as well, and like you, don't want to break the bank doing it.
I don't want to go into the cell phone-blue tooth thing(too complicated for this old Ludite), so I thought a GPS with a headphone jack would fit the bill. Anyone know of a reasonably priced unit with this feature?
Cheers, Miles

I've been considering getting a GPS as well, and like you, don't want to break the bank doing it.
I don't want to go into the cell phone-blue tooth thing(too complicated for this old Ludite), so I thought a GPS with a headphone jack would fit the bill. Anyone know of a reasonably priced unit with this feature?
Cheers, Miles

THAT'S what I meant to say!! A unit with a headphone or ear bud jack. :punk:

CHEESE AND RICE man! You gotta spill it! We can't read minds ya know...:eat brains::biglaugh:

Oh, back on subject...Ummmm, Nope got noth'n for ya on that. I just wonder around till I get where I wanna be.

CHEESE AND RICE man! You gotta spill it! We can't read minds ya know...:eat brains::biglaugh:

Oh, back on subject...Ummmm, Nope got noth'n for ya on that. I just wonder around till I get where I wanna be.

Hell, I can't read my own mind most of the time!! :wacko: :biglaugh:

OK, Now you got me wanting one. How about a Bluetooth GPS with built in back up camera so I can get rid of my mirrors. HELL YEAH!

Last edited:
Ha Ha, I with you there Danny! I looked around for a while last night and found the Garmin Nuvi 500 at REI for $250. More expensive than Heidi's criteria but I don't think there is a good waterproof GPS that will speak the directions, most of those are in the $500 + range with some near $1000!!!
Another option would be to go with a car mount(non waterproof) and use a waterproof case/ mount like this. There are quite a few different W/P boxes just can't think of there names ATM.:damn angry:

Ha Ha, I with you there Danny! I looked around for a while last night and found the Garmin Nuvi 500 at REI for $250. More expensive than Heidi's criteria but I don't think there is a good waterproof GPS that will speak the directions, most of those are in the $500 + range with some near $1000!!!
Another option would be to go with a car mount(non waterproof) and use a waterproof case/ mount like this. There are quite a few different W/P boxes just can't think of there names ATM.:damn angry:

ive got a few friends that use those garmin nuvi models and they love them. your right the higher end ones, motorcycle/waterproof is the stuff but ya gets expensive, i'll find out if they use blue tooth with it and how they like it.

(Brian, i like this months choice of visual distractions :punk: red mmmmm one of my favorite colors:biglaugh:)

OK, Now you got me wanting one. How about a Bluetooth GPS with built in back up camera so I can get rid of my morrors. HELL YEAH!

Kenny, you'd better hang onto those morrors....you'll get a sticket without 'em!! :rofl_200: :biglaugh: :rofl_200:

Waterproof really isn't an issue Brian, I'll stash it in my tank bag but I'm having difficulty finding one with either a headphone/ear bud jack or remote speaker for my helmet.

Actually, I don't really need to see it, just hear it and it's very limited use as I won't be touring at all.....really just need it to get to the Rice-o-Rama this summer in Mass. but it would be nice to have in the truck sometimes too.

ive got a few friends that use those garmin nuvi models and they love them. your right the higher end ones, motorcycle/waterproof is the stuff but ya gets expensive, i'll find out if they use blue tooth with it and how they like it.

(Brian, i like this months choice of visual distractions :punk: red mmmmm one of my favorite colors:biglaugh:)

The Garmin Nuvi looks like the thing, if I can hear it inside my helmet that's what I'll get!

It'd be nice to be able to change the voice too....my son has one and the voice sounds like a lady police dispatcher....want something a little more exciting like maybe......"Turn left 1/4 mile sugar, MY you have a large..........motorcycle!!"

Somethin' like that!!

Prolly the red dress distracted me there for a second...........:confused2:

Kenny, you'd better hang onto those morrors....you'll get a sticket without 'em!! :rofl_200: :biglaugh: :rofl_200:

Waterproof really isn't an issue Brian, I'll stash it in my tank bag but I'm having difficulty finding one with either a headphone/ear bud jack or remote speaker for my helmet.

Actually, I don't really need to see it, just hear it and it's very limited use as I won't be touring at all.....really just need it to get to the Rice-o-Rama this summer in Mass. but it would be nice to have in the truck sometimes too.

ya thats all you need dan-o is more voices in your head telling you what to do......:hmmm:if i tap into the sat signal and send subliminal messages such as BURN OUT BURN OUT BURN OUT BURN OUT :punk::punk::punk: ya ya should be good for a chuckle or two dont you think hahahahah

ya thats all you need dan-o is more voices in your head telling you what to do......:hmmm:if i tap into the sat signal and send subliminal messages such as BURN OUT BURN OUT BURN OUT BURN OUT :punk::punk::punk: ya ya should be good for a chuckle or two dont you think hahahahah

Haha!! Like my old signature said....."Nine out of the ten voices in my head are telling me to pull the trigger!!"

My wife told me to remove it tho, said it didn't look good......:confused2:

I thought it was pretty cool....what?....who said that?.....well screw you too, PAL!!.....damn, I hate that!! :ummm:

Haha!! Like my old signature said....."Nine out of the ten voices in my head are telling me to pull the trigger!!"

My wife told me to remove it tho, said it didn't look good......:confused2:

I thought it was pretty cool....what?....who said that?.....well screw you too, PAL!!.....damn, I hate that!! :ummm:

Thank God! I though I was the only one who was hearing those Demonic little voices. Its good to know I am in the company of "sound and resonable" people!

My brother's GPS had several different voices to choose from. I always chose the British girl as she sounded very inviting.

BTW, full breath in, let half out, slow even pull until it breaks, follow thru & ride the sear on the return.

Thank God! I though I was the only one who was hearing those Demonic little voices. Its good to know I am in the company of "sound and resonable" people!

My brother's GPS had several different voices to choose from. I always chose the British girl as she sounded very inviting.

BTW, full breath in, let half out, slow even pull until it breaks, follow thru & ride the sear on the return.

One of my voices IS the British chick!!! What could that mean? :confused2: :th_smilie:

Latest posts

Back