almost forgot..Had a race !

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripinanroarin

Reaction score
My buddy and I went out riding yesturday. We were leaving small town Humbolt Saskatchewan when I met a fellow with an 09 Yamaha Raider. Nice guy, way nice bike! We didnt plan anything, he was just going the same direction as us. I left ahead ,..and after a few miles down the road I noticed him rapidly gaining on me. I was doing 120kms "75mph"
I figured I'd keep him behind :biglaugh: I had to twist the wick hard, and for a while I thought he was gonna get me.
We were really moovin! and he was no longer gaining. SUCCESS!!:biglaugh: I looked at my speedo....OH MAN 205kms "127"mph. This is nuts!!!! What the hell Am I doing. I have never had this bike that fast before. And the highway was not in that great of shape.Ya I got him, Ya I am faster, but I'm also WAY stupid ! I will not repeat this kinda thing again. Some times you can really get "caught up" in the moment, and these dam bikes pick up speed so fast ....You can get in the death zone before you realize it. Any way...I dodged a bullet, and I'm still here telling my story lol.

Ive never been to your neck of Canada before but I have been into Ontario a bunch of times. Lots of Moose! I would sure hate to connect with one of those at speed. What type of road was it? In the sticks or more urban?

Ive never been to your neck of Canada before but I have been into Ontario a bunch of times. Lots of Moose! I would sure hate to connect with one of those at speed. What type of road was it? In the sticks or more urban?

Well ,its supose to be a "major highway" lol
but its probibly 25 years old with not much of a shoulder and its surface was getting rough." Old high way. "Nothing but flat farm land around . farm trucks and tractors using it.

Well ,its supose to be a "major highway" lol
but its probibly 25 years old with not much of a shoulder and its surface was getting rough." Old high way. "Nothing but flat farm land around . farm trucks and tractors using it.

That sounds alot safer than running through wooded areas. Those heavy vehicles tend to tear and rut the roads pretty good. At least you know where the ruts and holes are now, lol! How did the bike feel for you at that speed?

In the fall of last year I was on a major interstate riding in a rural portion of the road on a perfect night. I just had to see how fast she was so I started doing WOT runs in 5th gear up to redline. I did that a number of times until I had my fill. Sure gets the blood flowing!

BTW, nice kill!

We have to do stupid things once in a while so that we know we're still alive. I pulled out in front of a truck the other day. He was already doing 55 or 60. First gear ran out fine, went to second and must not have gotten it in gear well enough. When it went into boost, it jumped right out and over reved again. I had to kick it back in 2nd and move in a hurry. I seriously need to get a rev limiter.

I tried to duplicate the same thing several times on the way home and second held each time. I'm moving my shifter down another notch.

Dave

PS: ripin, when I use your font size, it sure is easier to read.:biglaugh:

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents about shifting,
Have you ever tried "pre loading the shift lever" Just put a bit of pressure on it before you shift. How much pressure is the trick I think. It has become a habit now and I do it in the lower gears most of the time and always when in a "hurry"

We have to do stupid things once in a while so that we know we're still alive. I pulled out in front of a truck the other day. He was already doing 55 or 60. First gear ran out fine, went to second and must not have gotten it in gear well enough. When it went into boost, it jumped right out and over reved again. I had to kick it back in 2nd and move in a hurry. I seriously need to get a rev limiter.

I tried to duplicate the same thing several times on the way home and second held each time. I'm moving my shifter down another notch.

Dave

PS: Ripen, when I use your font size, it sure is easier to read.:biglaugh:
"font size"------- As I grow older, my eyes grow weaker LOL. At the Supermarket, I have to get my wife to read the ingredients to me...I cant see them. I gave up trying to read the back of containers as well. I AM SURE THEY ARE MAKING THE 'FINE PRINT' EVEN SMALLER !!!
Its called the "old blind fart consperiency":rofl_200::rofl_200:

Lew L: I need to do something different. I used to wear steel toed boots. They took up more space. :bang head:

ripin: I call it FOG Syndrome, the glasses get stronger or I move closer.:biglaugh:

Ya, the Raiders are no slouches for performance. Not up to Vmax standards, but for a heavyweight Vtwin cruiser they scoot out of their own way pretty good. I like the style of them a lot also. If a Gen II wasn't my next bike and I went for a straight cruiser(and had loads of money), I'd go for a Raider.

I looked at my speedo....OH MAN 205kms "127"mph. This is nuts!!!! What the hell Am I doing. I have never had this bike that fast before. And the highway was not in that great of shape..

Thats movin. especially if you hit a bump.

"font size"------- As I grow older, my eyes grow weaker LOL. At the Supermarket, I have to get my wife to read the ingredients to me...I cant see them. I gave up trying to read the back of containers as well. I AM SURE THEY ARE MAKING THE 'FINE PRINT' EVEN SMALLER !!!
Its called the "old blind fart consperiency":rofl_200::rofl_200:

Oh sorry.
So what happened after you noticed you were going cop beat down speed?

I can see it.. You slowed way down and the guy blew by you..:rofl_200::rofl_200:And he's on a Raider forum as we speak bragging about how he beat a Vmax.:punk::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Whenever you run out of room, or for some reason "stop" a race while ahead, make sure to at least lightly tag your brakes so the object in your mirror KNOWS you shut it down. I've blown someone away, got a huge lead, and then just let off figuring they knew they were beat. A few seconds later they blow by me and proceed to think they won and go around telling everyone how their Shadow 1100 just smoked a Vmax.....

And I've found in the 120+ speed range, cops don't even bother to pull out. In a group, we've blown by cops countless times well in excess of the limit, and once double the highway limit. Never has one pulled out. They know by the time they merge into traffic and get up to speed, we'll already be a mile down the road and long gone off the next exit. Even if they do, you'll have a HUGE head start, and the Vmax can easily do a Interceptor's absolute top end(about 130 on a good day, and a Max will be at 130 by the time the Vic gets to maybe 70). A little brute speed, and some smart driving for a minute or two and you're home free.

Latest posts

Back