altenator cover removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSGU1-4936

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove an altenator cover that will not budge, yes all the screws have been removed, there is no oil or coolant in the bike so I cant start her up to warm things.

I tried with a heat gun but no luck

thanks,

Ron

:ummm:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove an altenator cover that will not budge, yes all the screws have been removed, there is no oil or coolant in the bike so I cant start her up to warm things.

thanks,

Ron

I've had that happen numerous times with my old bikes. I found that a rubber mallet and wooden dowel works pretty well.

thanks,

Ron

I think you are talking about the left side cover? The stator cover?
If so just tap around it with a soft mallet until it separates. Remember the flywheel under there is magnitizied so it is going to keep a tight grip on the cover. Pull slowly so you dont break your pick up or stator wires. :whistlin:

Cheers:cheers:

I think you are talking about the left side cover? The stator cover?
If so just tap around it with a soft mallet until it separates. Remember the flywheel under there is magnitizied so it is going to keep a tight grip on the cover. Pull slowly so you dont break your pick up or stator wires. :whistlin:

Cheers:cheers:

Tried that with no luck, this cover seems to be freaking welded on, I had no problem taking the middle gear, and clutch cover off.. Bottom right side of the stator cover is a hole, I grabed onto that section and tried pulling no luck.

Ron

Tried that with no luck, this cover seems to be freaking welded on, I had no problem taking the middle gear, and clutch cover off.. Bottom right side of the stator cover is a hole, I grabed onto that section and tried pulling no luck.

Ron

When my cover on my XS and other bikes were being extra stubborn I took a screwdriver, that fit the hole vacated by the screw snugly, and placed it in the hole and applied pressure, not major torque but steady pressure (actually I had my GF do it for me cause I ran out of hands) while I tapped around the cover with the mallet and dowel.

It took some doing but it came off.

Back