Alternate Oil Filters???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kratos

Reaction score
Doing some oil filter research and it appears that the Purolator Pure One PL14610/PL14612 and the Mobile 1 M1-108/110 are the filters of choice. When I looked at the K&N KN-303 oil filter (specifically for the 2007 VMAX), I noticed that the relief valve is rated at 18.13 psi. The Purolator and Mobil 1 oil filters are rated at 14psi, (according to the site). I have not been able to find the actual numbers for those specific filters. Does anyone have the relief valve psi rating for the above mentioned Purolator and Mobil 1 filters? Or, can someone tell me what relief valve psi rating the VMAX actually calls for? The following site is where I am getting my info http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Not sure! I've used the M-110 for the last 3000 miles but may soon start using the STP M/C filter or a factory one. I read that the auto filters like you posted require to much pressure to bypass. Is it true? Not sure. I don't really want to find out. lol

Chris

It seems as if the Purolator and Mobil 1 filters actually require less pressure. The K&N 303 filter, which is specifically for the VMAX, is rated at 18.13 psi, while the Purolator and Mobil 1 filters are rated at 14 psi. I guess this would be safer than a filter with a higher psi rating, as far as making sure you have oil flow, but I would think a lower psi rating would allow oil to bypass the filter sooner than is recommended, therefore using more unfiltered oil. Not sure though, I may not be understanding the ratings or what they mean. This is the first time I have looked into this.

I just buy the Yamaha filters. Don't have to worry about fitment...

I was wondering about this as well. Like usual I cant leave well enough alone. I started thinking about this after I got my oil pressure gauge on the bike.

When it is idling cold it is at 60 psig. Obviously any filter is going to lift the relief. This is not what I was concerned about. Running down the highway at 4k rpm (i have the 5th gear overdrive from sean, so my 80 mph is 4k) neeways... my oil pressure is 35-40 psig. So does that mean our filters will always have the relief valve open?????:ummm::confused2::ummm::confused2:

According to the oil flow diagram there is a bypass valve around the filter. Off this same line is the relief valve. It looks like the filter is only seeing a portion of the pressure the pump puts out. I have never been inside one these engines so I cant say.

Maybe Lankee, Jeff, Sean or someone else that has had the engine tore apart know if the oil flow is split around the filter through the bypass valve and through the filter equally or if it is under full pressure all the time.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=398

Looks like the bypass valve operates off of the pressure difference across the oil filter (inlet and outlet), not on the oil pressure of the engine itself. So, if the filter element gets clogged, the pressure increases causing the bypass valve to open so the motor isn't starved for oil. Or during cold startup, when the oil is thicker, the same thing happens.

I called up one of the resident experts and the oil filter only sees a portion of the pressure and flow. Obviously we could not expect the oil filter to handle all the flow, and trying to handle all the pressure it just shoots off the bike making a big mess.

The the filter bypass is there just in case the filter gets clogged.

Cheers

:bang head:Does anyone have any difinitive numbers as far as the bypass valve PSI rating for the Mobil 1 M1-108/110 filters. I called Exxon-Mobil, they tell me to call the oil filter hotline, the oil filter hotline people tell me that info has to come from Mobil 1, when I called Mobil 1 back, they said "if the hotline couldn't tell me, then that information is proprietary". This makes no sense, not sure why they would be afraid to give out those numbers. I have seen posts saying they are rated at 25 psi, and others rating them at 11-17 psi, which actually sounds more reasonable. But I would like to have a difinitive answer.:confused2:

:bang head:Does anyone have any difinitive numbers as far as the bypass valve PSI rating for the Mobil 1 M1-108/110 filters. I called Exxon-Mobil, they tell me to call the oil filter hotline, the oil filter hotline people tell me that info has to come from Mobil 1, when I called Mobil 1 back, they said "if the hotline couldn't tell me, then that information is proprietary". This makes no sense, not sure why they would be afraid to give out those numbers. I have seen posts saying they are rated at 25 psi, and others rating them at 11-17 psi, which actually sounds more reasonable. But I would like to have a difinitive answer.:confused2:

Their filters are made by Champion Labs last I checked. Try finding their number...

Chris

I got on the Champion Labs website, the number they have is the same number Mobil 1 gave me to call, which is called the "filter hotline". I went ahead and emailed Champion rather than calling that number again, maybe the email witll get to the right person.:confused2:

The email worked:eusa_dance: I got a response, the Mobil 1 M1-108/110 have a bypass valve rating of 11-17 psi. The bad thing is, that neither of those filters are recommended since the filter's bypass rating needs to be 18 psi or so for the VMAX (according to the K&N site). The even worse thing is that I asked him if he could recommend one of the other filters they manufacture that would be comparable to the Mobil 1 filter. His response was that they have NO filter, at this time, that he can recommend for use with the VMAX. This was very disconcerting since their site shows that they manufacture STP, K&N, as well as others.

http://www.champlabs.com/

The email worked:eusa_dance: I got a response, the Mobil 1 M1-108/110 have a bypass valve rating of 11-17 psi. The bad thing is, that neither of those filters are recommended since the filter's bypass rating needs to be 18 psi or so for the VMAX (according to the K&N site). The even worse thing is that I asked him if he could recommend one of the other filters they manufacture that would be comparable to the Mobil 1 filter. His response was that they have NO filter, at this time, that he can recommend for use with the VMAX. This was very disconcerting since their site shows that they manufacture STP, K&N, as well as others.

http://www.champlabs.com/

Hmm... I have used the STP filters in the past. I guess I better call and get a few Yamahammer ones now huh?

Chris

That's the way it looks. Seems odd that he didn't recommend the K&N filter since they do have a filter specifically for the VMAX.:ummm:

Back