Another taillight Mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimmie

Reaction score
I had originally installed the the CBR taillight on my Max. I put the Morley setup on it last year (Carr rims, extended swing arm, ect...) and the extended swing arm will not allow me to run the CBR light any longer because the rear tire will hit the light's outer casing.

My brother, dad and I made this light by hand last year. I originally bolted it right to my HAC sissy bar mount but was unable to use the sissy bar (or Chrissy bar as the wife would say) without coming up with a different taillight design. I ended up picking up a Yamaha sissy bar from Sean so I made a different bracket to bolt the light to because the HAC mount would be coming off. I also installed the Custom Dynamics Magic Strobe while I had it apart. Tuned out nice! I'm no Jedi or Morley but it's not bad considering we built it by hand with no special tools.

Strobe looks better in person as the camera has a hard time catching all of the strobes, but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtgNH1oy70M

Bored on the job?; or can't fall asleep because of the baby lol. I like it! I know my swing arm is either a 1 or 2" extension and the tire rubbing happened to me to. I had to shock positions on my swing arm so I moved the bottom of shocks fwd allowing enough clearence. my swing arm hits my exhaust ever now and then but I can live with that. Almost worth putting rear lights like some skirtsters have on there rear

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I like it real eye catcher !! I live in Va also any cops bust you for side ways tag and is it lit too ?

Cops oh please there over rated they need to catch you first bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
For you Mr Grimmie :sly:

I like it real eye catcher !! I live in Va also any cops bust you for side ways tag and is it lit too ?

Thanks.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-715

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-716

Here are the VA state codes for license plates. It really only says it has to be clearly visible. I know I would never mess with anyone for having a tag mounted like that. Most wouldn't, until they're provoked (loud exhaust, showing off, ect...). Of course I'm not your typical "asshole" type cop, and they're are some out there like that.

Mine is not lit.

PS:

By showing off, I mean hitting 9500rpm between stop lights. My bike is loud and I've been around many Officers in many areas, states, or whatever and I've never been pulled... for equipment anyways..... :)

Bored on the job?; or can't fall asleep because of the baby lol. I like it! I know my swing arm is either a 1 or 2" extension and the tire rubbing happened to me to. I had to shock positions on my swing arm so I moved the bottom of shocks fwd allowing enough clearence. my swing arm hits my exhaust ever now and then but I can live with that. Almost worth putting rear lights like some skirtsters have on there rear

I have an 3" extended s/a with the shock mounts moved forward 2 1/2" (as determined by the drive side shock relocation bracket I got from PCW) and I did bottom on some high speed bottom of the hill type bumps so I cranked up the shock preload a couple notches which resolved my issue. My taillight/ plate bracket is custom but still uses the factory inner fender as a mounting point.

I ended up going with the KYB shocks recommended by Sean (as I was still using the stock shocks with the stock swing arm at the time I purchased the setup). I believe the KYB shocks are 14", don't quote me there, and they mount in the stock shock locations, which actually lowers the bike a little from stock height. With my fender mounted in the stock location the rear tire has hit the inner fender several times, only on a hard bump. I set my pre-load as high as it will go and it hit the inner fender again after that. That was riding 1 up with no extra weight on the bike. When I re-mounted my taillight I also wedged the rear fender to give me a little more clearance. I think the fender looks better this way too, just fits the contour of the rear wheel in it's extended location. I'm sure this will take care of the issue. Everything else about the setup is spot on. My bike handles great!!

I just got word from Sean that my Muscle seat is ready to ship too!

Lets see.... I think I'll get Sean's larger fuel tank next..... LOL

I'm running Progressive 440's with std rate springs, I weigh ~290 but it looks like with 3 thread rings showing on spring preload I have struck a good setting between comfort (firm ride) and only bottoming on the biggest bumps. I now need to add a little more fork preload as they now feel a little spongy compared to the rears. I have a little more fork dive than I like during braking and hard cornering (feels like I'm losing tire grip on turn in).
I really need to measure my sag so I can dial it in better. I guess I should look up the exact procedure on how to do this. I believe the setup should be around 20% but not sure if I am remembering it properly.

I'm running Progressive 440's with std rate springs, I weigh ~290 but it looks like with 3 thread rings showing on spring preload I have struck a good setting between comfort (firm ride) and only bottoming on the biggest bumps. I now need to add a little more fork preload as they now feel a little spongy compared to the rears. I have a little more fork dive than I like during braking and hard cornering (feels like I'm losing tire grip on turn in).
I really need to measure my sag so I can dial it in better. I guess I should look up the exact procedure on how to do this. I believe the setup should be around 20% but not sure if I am remembering it properly.

You have STD springs??? You been tested lately man thats risky haha

I really like these shocks too Brian. But I'm just one tab down, almost unadjusted for normal riding. Std springs. I'm a light weight though. These shocks can be adjusted super stiff for agressive riding. I saved this on suspention. http://www.triumphnet.com/st/acc/racetech/setup.htm
ps. I had a blast on that ride you led to the Mt top. We taxed our suspention a bit at times on that ride.

You have STD springs??? You been tested lately man thats risky haha

LOL, I did a good bit of "testing" while at Thunder and I did bottom on a couple of bumps (80-90 mph hitting a 2' section of road that pavement that had been removed 2-3" deep) but I added some preload which resolved that issue. I used to have HD springs but they were just too stiffly sprung for my tastes. Following Marcus, Ron, Jim, Tom, Sam was the cure to finding a great setting for the shocks. Forks need some work (longer spacer needed) now.
LOL, I just got that Matt, std springs have proven themselves to be disease free!

Haha glad you got it after writing a whole paragraph... mission accomplished

I really like these shocks too Brian. But I'm just one tab down, almost unadjusted for normal riding. Std springs. I'm a light weight though. These shocks can be adjusted super stiff for agressive riding. I saved this on suspention. http://www.triumphnet.com/st/acc/racetech/setup.htm
ps. I had a blast on that ride you led to the Mt top. We taxed our suspention a bit at times on that ride.
Thanks for the link Steveo! I thought I had some schedule 40 of the appropriate size but will have to go beg a section from a buddy. I have the fork spring adjusters at their limit so I am going to try adding a 1/2" to the spacer which should give a better range of spring stiffness to work with.
That ride was a lot of fun just like all the riding I did while we were at Thunder!

I had originally installed the the CBR taillight on my Max. I put the Morley setup on it last year (Carr rims, extended swing arm, ect...) and the extended swing arm will not allow me to run the CBR light any longer because the rear tire will hit the light's outer casing.

My brother, dad and I made this light by hand last year. I originally bolted it right to my HAC sissy bar mount but was unable to use the sissy bar (or Chrissy bar as the wife would say) without coming up with a different taillight design. I ended up picking up a Yamaha sissy bar from Sean so I made a different bracket to bolt the light to because the HAC mount would be coming off. I also installed the Custom Dynamics Magic Strobe while I had it apart. Tuned out nice! I'm no Jedi or Morley but it's not bad considering we built it by hand with no special tools.

Strobe looks better in person as the camera has a hard time catching all of the strobes, but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtgNH1oy70M

I am liking how that taillight looks. It does look pretty bright even, which is a plus.

I do want to mount a taillight in the same location you did on that bike, and that one looks very well done. Is there a thread here where you give detailed build instructions? The only difference I would wish to do is clear lenses, cause I think they would look a bit better.

I am liking how that taillight looks. It does look pretty bright even, which is a plus.

I do want to mount a taillight in the same location you did on that bike, and that one looks very well done. Is there a thread here where you give detailed build instructions? The only difference I would wish to do is clear lenses, cause I think they would look a bit better.

I did not take pictures when it was built. I'll snap a couple of pics for you to look at, and you'll get the idea.

Here's some pics for ya.

Attachments

• IMG_20130706_090432_961.jpg
    IMG_20130706_090432_961.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20130706_090441_384.jpg
    IMG_20130706_090441_384.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20130706_090446_834.jpg
    IMG_20130706_090446_834.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts