Antifreeze freeze protection question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
While preparing my truck to pull my toyhauler to Colorado and back this summer. I found solder bloom inside my radiator. My buddy urged me to buy a new radiator but I decided to flush it well and run 70% water and 30% antifreeze since I had read a heavier water concentration would provide the best cooling protection. Trip went without a hitch if you call running the 6.2 floored the entire time optimal.

So now with the temps dropping I drained the 70/30 mix and put in premixed antifreeze. I thought I was protected until I tested with the hydrometer which showed I was good until -2. I must have left some water in the system I guess.

So my question is.. Is there a additive which I can buy for further freeze protection? Or do I have to dump the entire system and start over knowing not all the fluid drains?

If you have run the engine long enough for the old and new to be thoroughly mixed, draining and refilling now should bring you very close to the proper percentages. That would be my guess anyway.

only "additive" I know of is anti freeze.

Yeah same here..
I wonder how many gallons go down the drain because the ratio is to weak.. Millions..
Someone ought to produce a concentrated product which wouldnt require dumping it all.

you can get concentrated stuff. just drain out a gallon, and add a gallon of the regular antifreeze. prestone is one that comes to mind. look for the mixing chart on the back. it should put you close. maybe it doesn't get that cold in iowa that they don't sell the concentrated stuff. that's all we can get around here. maybe install a block heater if its a big concern. ive got 3 cars plugged in atm... not cheap on the elec bill but we don't bat an eye at it.

merry xmas,
evan...

you can get concentrated stuff. just drain out a gallon, and add a gallon of the regular antifreeze. prestone is one that comes to mind. look for the mixing chart on the back. it should put you close. maybe it doesn't get that cold in iowa that they don't sell the concentrated stuff. that's all we can get around here. maybe install a block heater if its a big concern. ive got 3 cars plugged in atm... not cheap on the elec bill but we don't bat an eye at it.

merry xmas,
evan...
Thanks, thats what I did. Gallon out gallon in and Im good til -34

Iv got the block heater but Im not powering a 400w heater outside for a truck I dont drive much..

merry Xmas everyone!

Yeah same here..
I wonder how many gallons go down the drain because the ratio is to weak.. Millions..
Someone ought to produce a concentrated product which wouldnt require dumping it all.

antifreeze is simply a mix of demineralized water and either ethyleneglycol or propyleneglycol - one of both is poisonous and was replaced by the other which is actually a food additive :) , just can`t remember right now which is which

Sometimes a very small percentage of "something" else (<1%) is added for cross-corrosion protection

I`ll find back the correct names/percentages, just a minute

Latest posts

Back