Any BMW techs???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65fury

Reaction score
Hey fellas, im having some problems with my 1995 BMW 325i, basically it just died on me while driving and wont do anything but crankover. Im getting fuel(i can smell raw fuel out my tailpipe and my plugs are wet) this is a timing chain driven car so i know that didnt break. and ive already gone thru all my fuses and relays.... i just dont get any spark.

So i replaced my crank sensor and cam sensor and still nothin. Im part of a BMW forum but havnt gotten anywhere with the guys on there. I bought a used
DME(ECM) and intalled it but same issue.

I read on multiple forums that i need to sync my DME with my EWS system(need special programmer/take it to a dealer)... and on other forums they said i didnt.. so im lost...

Any BMW techs or DIY on here that have any input??

Thanks
Jason

just a thing I know about certain bmw not sure if it applies to yrs like yours but.....if the gas cap is off they won't start. maybe yours is faulty....agin if those yr bmw apply ,me I'm not sure

Nope doesnt apply to mine, my BMW is too old lol not quite that techy or fancy

Jason

There was a BMW tech on here but I don't remember who it but it was someone who was'nt on here a lot.

In the BMWs I believe the main control boxes (I can't remember what the acronyms are right now) are keyed together. You need to have them reset by the dealer or someone who has the BMW dealer software and computer interface. On that vintage car I believe the system is called a "Modic" (Mobile Diagnostic Computer)

Depending on the mileage of your car another thing to check is to ensure that your timing chain did not slip a link or so. It only takes a one tooth slip to keep the engine from starting. The E36 motor is also an interference engine so if your cam gets too far out of time with your crank, the valves are toast.

Jumping back to the spark issue, pull one of the plugs out of the motor, put it back into the boot and lay the side of the plug on the engine block. Have someone crank the engine for you and check for spark. That is a sure fire way to determine if it is a spark issue or something else.

Bad ignition key or immobilizer security system.
I can't believe you can't just google it. I can't believe the tech info I have found and saved thousands doing it myself.
Exception, recoding keys to the Volvo. You pay for dealer labor AND downloadable software. What a scam. Oh, and keys/remotes only from Volvo, no aftermarket.

Sounds to me like a crank trigger failare,Does the motor make the same sound during the crank cycle as it always did?If the chain did jump a tooth it will bend the valves and have no compression.Saw that before usally the trigger.Just a shot,Really should be scanned.Best of luck

Thanks for all the replies!

98redline, ive checked spark and dont seem to be getting any, and ive already replaced the cam and crank sensors. You are correct ill have to have the EWS and DME resyncd(if use another silver label DME/another DME from a 95 bmw), unless i run an earlier model DME(92-94 bmw) then i just bypass the EWS and not have to pay the dealer to sync it. Although you mentioned the timing chain skipping a tooth, i never really considered that as a possibility........ i guess ill be looking into how to check and set the timing to see if that happend. I guess i figured a timing chain would have to be pretty loose to skip a tooth?? not very common from my experience.

Bad ignition key or immobilizer security system.
I can't believe you can't just google it. I can't believe the tech info I have found and saved thousands doing it myself.
Exception, recoding keys to the Volvo. You pay for dealer labor AND downloadable software. What a scam. Oh, and keys/remotes only from Volvo, no aftermarket.

If the immobilizer went bad i would have a no crank situation, but im still getting fuel and the motor still cranks over so i know the EWS isnt bad. I actually have been googling and reading multiple posts on forums and anything else i find... but i jut keep reading the same thing over and over and have gotten any other ideas thrown at me until after reading some of yalls replies.

Jason

Thanks for all the replies!

98redline, ive checked spark and dont seem to be getting any, and ive already replaced the cam and crank sensors. You are correct ill have to have the EWS and DME resyncd(if use another silver label DME/another DME from a 95 bmw), unless i run an earlier model DME(92-94 bmw) then i just bypass the EWS and not have to pay the dealer to sync it. Although you mentioned the timing chain skipping a tooth, i never really considered that as a possibility........ i guess ill be looking into how to check and set the timing to see if that happend. I guess i figured a timing chain would have to be pretty loose to skip a tooth?? not very common from my experience.

Crankshaft trigger sensor is a common area of spark failure. Check there first to avoid a bursting wallet. 20 + years on these machines. Been there and done it

Chris.

Crankshaft trigger sensor is a common area of spark failure. Check there first to avoid a bursting wallet. 20 + years on these machines. Been there and done it

Chris.

Ive already replaced it, and the cam sensor

jason

At this point you are just "easter egging" looking for the problem. Maybe you will find it, maybe you will not.

Suck it up, go to a shop that has a Modic and have them read what the car says is wrong. Beyond that you are just replacing parts....

For the record I owned a 95 740i that I did plenty of work on. I ordered a copy of the BMW DIS CD which had all of the maintenance and troubleshooting procedures for all models. Saved a boatload of cash by doing work myself, however when it came down to electronics issues, the Modic is really the only way to figure out or fix what is going on.

At this point you are just "easter egging" looking for the problem. Maybe you will find it, maybe you will not.

Suck it up, go to a shop that has a Modic and have them read what the car says is wrong. Beyond that you are just replacing parts....

For the record I owned a 95 740i that I did plenty of work on. I ordered a copy of the BMW DIS CD which had all of the maintenance and troubleshooting procedures for all models. Saved a boatload of cash by doing work myself, however when it came down to electronics issues, the Modic is really the only way to figure out or fix what is going on.

I have a computer reader at my shop, a super nice snap on at that, last time i tried using it i didnt get any codes to come up on it.

Well i havent been able to really spend a full day on the car yet to really get a GOOD diagnoses, just an hr here or there when i got free time off work. I cant afford going to a shop or anything like that, im a DIY kind of person anyways. I dont know BMWs very wel but they run just like any other motor, air, fuel, spark, compression ect ect... im sure ill take more steps than needed along the way to fixing it but i consider it all a learning process:clapping:

Thanks for the help so far, its good to bounce ideas off other people, helps stretch the old thinker a bit, sometimes i get a one track mind and i chase my tail:biglaugh:

Jason

Back