Any electrical experts out there?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srk468

Reaction score
Ok decided to start a new thread about my issues, I've been having problems since I fired the bike up this year, been through the carbs 3 times now, checked dry and wet float levels and everything on the carbs is perfect but here's where shit get's weird... Originally when I fired the bike I had my dyna on stock curve (I've ran it on curve 4 since I bought it but heard it made more power on stock so thought I'd try it) but I was fouling number 4 plug then I was made aware my plug gap was too wide so I tightened them to .26 but I also bumped the dyna to curve 4 like I was running last year and then number 4 didn't foul anymore but the bike was still rich and still didn't sound right... I decided to put my stock tci back on and as soon as I fired it I could tell I was only running on 3 cylinders, then I seen smoke coming from under the seat so I killed the bike and looked and the harness for my COP on number one the resistor was smoking hot so I pulled all plugs and sure enough no spark on number 1 but all others were sparking. I then got out a factory coil and hooked it up to the factory harness and still no spark, then I swapped number 3 and 1 Cop's around and 1 was still dead with a known good coil and harness. Then I put all Cops back on and re installed my Dyna in the stock curve and the bike ran again and had spark on all 4 but still wasn't right, then I took it for a short ride (only about 4 miles) and when I got back plug 4 was starting to foul again... I then took the dyna back to curve 4 and I rode about 30-40 miles last night but number 4 didn't foul but bike is still not running right and my a/f ratio is still rich.. I'm sure it's not a carb problem anymore because both ignition systems are screwing up but I just can't understand how my stock tci took a shit sitting on the shelf, and why does the dyna foul plug 4 on the stock curve but not curve 4??? I need someone smarter than me on this thing because I'm seriously stumped...

Have you tested the pickup coils.

I just did last night and it was just slightly high on the ohm's, factory spec is between 80.8-121.2 warm, I tested mine and I had 121.5-6 after I got home so it was hot, gonna check again today while its cool but the manual says to check it above 68 degrees and its mid 80's here today.. not sure if it matters weather It's cold or hot but I didn't think that just barely being out would cause this.. the bike ran fine last year but I am seriously entertaining this possibility...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Well I checked it again and it was 78 degrees in the shop and I was at 101 ohms so its well within spec. It's definitely in the ignition though, took the air lid off and went for a ride and a/f was still mid 11's so its just not sparking right on one or maybe more cylinders...

Did you replace the resistor that got hot?

Also, hate to challenge your logic, but if you changed the ignition system and the problem didn't go away, then it's not an ignition problem. Maybe it is carbs!

I'm guessing that there is some problem, for instance rich sometimes on no.4, and one ignition curve does a better job of masking it than the other.

Did you replace the resistor that got hot?

Also, hate to challenge your logic, but if you changed the ignition system and the problem didn't go away, then it's not an ignition problem. Maybe it is carbs!

I'm guessing that there is some problem, for instance rich sometimes on no.4, and one ignition curve does a better job of masking it than the other.

Any ideas are good ideas at this point bud, I didn't replace that resistor yet because it is sparking and all the ohms on all coils are exactly 3.6 and my stockers are anywhere from 3.3-3.5 so I'm confident they are all ok. The reason I know its not carburation is because with the air lid off and a Morley's jet kit it leans the shit out of it, I left my lid off last year while I made a pass at the strip and I went from 11.9-12.2 (still rich I know) to 15.6 so its impossible for the carbs to be dumping that much fuel to where pulling the lid didn't help lean it up at least a little. I've also been through the carbs 3 times now and I'm pretty damn handy with them and I have a good working knowledge of how they function and I'm just saying I'd bet a dollar its not the carbs, it never was... I'm going to pull apart my wiring harness where it plugs into the box today and really study all that close, if the box is seeing a funny ground or signal from the pickup or doesn't have a stable power source I could see either box messing up and at any rate I have a known good box coming to try so I want to make absolutely positive that its not something in my bike and cook a perfectly good box... I sure appreciate your ideas and theory's though Braz so keep em coming and that's to everyone else too, I've already tried about everything but I'm open to revisiting ideas because nothing has worked thus far... I really appreciate any and all input guys!

No worries mate!

Generally speaking a guy only asks for help like that if he has tried everything and it hasn't worked, and he is after a different set of eyes to look at things. That's what I offer. :biglaugh:

Just out of interest, have you tried measuring the resistance of the wires between the TCI/Dyna and the coils? And also wiggle them while measuring? Could be a bad/cut/fused wire maybe?

Just out of interest, have you tried measuring the resistance of the wires between the TCI/Dyna and the coils? And also wiggle them while measuring? Could be a bad/cut/fused wire maybe?

Not yet, going to do that tomorrow when I mess with it again... I want to be absolutely positive the wiring harness is in good shape before I go hooking someone else's box to it...

Checked the factory harness today and figured out why it wouldn't run with the stock computer, some unnamed dumbass wired the factory harness on #1 backwards when soldering on the digikill for his air shifter... LOL it runs with the factory computer now so put the Dyna back on and it ran that way but still was fouling #4 then put a fresh plug in it and rechecked connections and it was all good, put it back together and rechecked it in the garage and still good.. had dinner and then fired it up to go for a ride and now its fouling #4 again.. gotta have a bad connection in that harness somewhere, gonna try my ass off to find it tomorrow but if I can't I'll run a new lead from the Dyna to the plug on the harness... One way or another I'm gonna figure this bitch out....

Back