Any issues using front caliper on rear?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saml01

Reaction score
I was changing the pads on my rear brakes today and could not for the life of me get the pistons back into the caliper. I took the caliper off and examined it. Looks like the previous owner had issues too because the edges of both pistons look chewed up. I guess he tried to use a big screw driver leveraged against the rotor to coax the piston back into the caliper. Aside from that it still looked useable. Anyway, I tried everything to get the piston compressed including a C Clamp. Nothing worked. I think its in really bad shape internally as evidenced by the bleeders being difficult to remove; like they were rusted in.

I did a busa brake upgrade recently and kept my front brake calipers. I decided to try and fit one of the front calipers onto the rear. One of them fits perfectly, however, the brake line is too short to reach to the top of the caliper.

When I bought my busa calipers they came with the factory suzuki brake line and crossover. The main brake line is about 3 inches longer than the stock rear brake line and reaches from the master to the brake caliper perfectly. Though I had to route it differently because the brake line isnt angled at the fittings like the stock line.

Looooong story short. If bled correctly, is there any issue using the front brake caliper on the rear?

I was changing the pads on my rear brakes today and could not for the life of me get the pistons back into the caliper. I took the caliper off and examined it. Looks like the previous owner had issues too because the edges of both pistons look chewed up. I guess he tried to use a big screw driver leveraged against the rotor to coax the piston back into the caliper. Aside from that it still looked useable. Anyway, I tried everything to get the piston compressed including a C Clamp. Nothing worked. I think its in really bad shape internally as evidenced by the bleeders being difficult to remove; like they were rusted in.

I did a busa brake upgrade recently and kept my front brake calipers. I decided to try and fit one of the front calipers onto the rear. One of them fits perfectly, however, the brake line is too short to reach to the top of the caliper.

When I bought my busa calipers they came with the factory suzuki brake line and crossover. The main brake line is about 3 inches longer than the stock rear brake line and reaches from the master to the brake caliper perfectly. Though I had to route it differently because the brake line isnt angled at the fittings like the stock line.

Looooong story short. If bled correctly, is there any issue using the front brake caliper on the rear?

None, you should be good to go.

Mike

I have a bracket that I bought from the UK several years back that is an underslung bracket that uses a front left R-1 blue dot.

G

The only issue is using a caliper that is suited for one rotor diameter on a different one, But if they are similar diameters i see no problem as long as you get the caliper perfectly aligned with the rotor

Forgot to say, the R1 caliper at the back will come with a bigger rotor.
Not so worried about how reliable or easy it will be, but more curious about the braking performance on the rear.
Until now it has always been super weak IMO

Diablotin, only thing underslung does for you is looks. Braking isn't better and you need to remove caliper to bleed.

I haven't be successful even after several bleeding, it got a bit better when i did swap the caliper to test.

I just believed 4 pistons instead of 2 and bigger rotor will have brought some improvements.

I got that new setup, so I will install it with my new wheel and swingarm anyway and see :p

I tried the swap some time ago and I could not get it to work .The size of the pistons are totally different ie the rear is smaller and the size of the piston in the rear master cylinder is also smaller.I spent a day bleeding the rear brake and just couldn't get it to work.Went back to original rear and bled up and working in ten minutes.Cheers Kevman.

Latest posts

Back