Anybody ever have a cx500?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
I'm thinking about working on a project for my wife to learn on/use, and thought I'd ask you guys if anyone's ever had a cx500 past or present. There is a pair for sale locally that are complete, but not running. That seems to be my specialty (electrical issues).

So... Thoughts, advice, anecdotal evidence is welcomed.

I have two, a 1980 CX500 Deluxe with a Vetter fairing, and a 1983 CX650 Custom, These are 4 valve short stroke water cooled transverse flying V engines, they love high rpms but the bikes them selves need better front brakes, the US bikes are single disc front, drum rear. They use driveshafts. The CX650 is the one you want, has electric fan, slightly higher gear ratio, lighter bike. They have a notorious problem with the stators burning out, you have to remove engine, which is actually easy, i did it to the 500. And the water pump seals go bad.
The turbo version is wicked fast, the GL versions are like small Goldwings.
Carbs can be finicky to balance and you will notice it. If they are out of sync its like holding a pair of chainsaws.
Go drop in at the cx500 forums, the cx500 was my first motorcycle. I wish they would come back as a V4, would be superior to our Yamaha Vmax engine.

Buy them for the right price, a Jap. Moto Guzzi. Very reliable, easy for a smaller rider to handle, easy to wrench on. Not much interest in them so the price should be low. I've seen some re-done to cafe style that look really good. They are one of the true 'see-through' bikes. In Ausralia there is a small boat racing class running them. You can't beat one for a good run-around bike. Good torque and enough power to stay ahead of most cars/trucks. One of my MI friends bought one new after he moved to FL. I rode it soon after and was favorably impressed, and still am. Not glamorous but a good utilitarian mount, which won't cost you $$$.

My first street bike was a 81 CX500 C. Beginning bike for a lady? I couldn't flat foot mine, and they are quite top heavy.
That's only a downside for a new rider with short inseam.

My first street bike was a 81 CX500 C. Beginning bike for a lady? I couldn't flat foot mine, and they are quite top heavy.
That's only a downside for a new rider with short inseam.

This helps. I'm gonna go look at a pair of basket case ones tomorrow, actually a CX and a GL500 (could swap the front end to get dual disc). I probably won't buy them an just get a Buell Blast for my wife to learn on, but I thought it would be cool for her to have her own custom bike when she moves up here. We'll see what happens.

If they're too tall, it'll be a no go either way.

I did go on the CX500 forum. I've actually been a member for more than a year. I know a guy in Texas that had one he'd probably sell me if I really wanted it. His dad was looking for a V-max when I went to him for some machine work.

I had an old CX500 in the UK many years ago. It ran beautifully for a number of years, until a mechanical seal failed and allowed coolant into the oil. I repaired that and it ran again just fine for a long while.
Then one day it simply refused to go. Weird electrical problem. I tried everything from the CDI box to the plugs and could never get it to go. In the end sold it to a dude who was building one from two bikes.
All in all a great solid workhorse the whole time it ran, and cheap to boot! Only downer was most cars were faster on the freeway - this thing is only really good for 80mph cruising.

The only CX500 I ever owned was a Turbo and I loved it, nice little bike to get on and go for a quick little put. Not cheap to repair but fun to ride. I have worked on all kinds of them and they are truly great bikes in my opinion and always cheap to get but always with issues. Mostly electrical for some reason.... If you have a chance to get one and can get it dialed in right you will definitely have a good pig in the stable.

CX500's are great beginner bikes, I'd say the biggest issue with them are stators, I believe when they go out, you have to split the motors to repair them. Cheap and easy to work on, plenty of them out there less than a grand, I see them all the time.

The cx650 sits just a little bit lower, the 500 is a tall top heavy bike, not so good for short people.
The 500 has a fan blade straight off the camshaft, known to explode. The 650 went to electric, but its easy to convert a 500 to electric, i did, and i had to split the rear case to replace the stator.
Personally i think something like the 750 Virago would be good for you, mine is simple, air cooled, you sit further down, only drawback i have with mine is that i am so used to the big Goldwings the 750 feels like a bicycle. You feel buffeting more so from big rigs, but its also highway geared, will cruise at 65 no problem, while the cx bikes are revved out.

Back