Anyone used these springs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalArts

Reaction score
Found them on amazon, they seem to be for motorcycles and the stock 13 inch...

http://www.amazon.com/340mm-Shock-Absorbers-Yamaha-Suzuki/dp/B00DT082BW#customerReviews

Also http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-S...2&sr=1-23&keywords=vmax+shock#customerReviews

And http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-S...2&sr=1-28&keywords=vmax+shock#customerReviews

How do these options stack up to the 440s I'm currently considering getting? Would the 944s be better and do they come in 13in? I ride solo most of the time

Aside from that. I currently plan to get 13 inch rear shocks and a race tech front linear spring with the emulator mod (no clue how to do either, yet). Would someone mind providing me links to where I could best buy either or both of these mods?

I'm looking for the best possible handling set up for under 600 or so total worth of springs/shocks. I know radial tires and motor mounts/frame brace are also large factors.

I think I'm going to grab some Michellin commander 2s 170/110 sizes and run with them until my budget jumps up or I snag a really good deal on radial rims. Would anyone argue that spending 400 on bias tires isn't worth the money on spending 1200 on radial rims + used tires? (an offer recently mentioned to me that might be finalized soon)

The first one is complete junk unless you have a very lightweight bike (originally designed for scooters).

The progressive stuff I have pretty decent pricing on. The 440's are far better then either of the ones you have listed.

Racetech are fine, I can sell those as well as progressive springs. Most do just fine with either and we sell a lot more progressive stuff then racetech. I even have a custom preload spring cap we sell to get more adjustability.

Even adding frame braces (duh we sell those too lol) will help solidify the chassis. The wheels/tires though will make the single largest change in handling. But of course the single largest cost. The Metzler ME880/ME888 are by far and above the most popular for the vmax for overall wear and grip.

Great! What would your price be on a chrome set of 440s (I suppose I don't need 444 or 944 if I'm riding solo?) And a progressive front shock?

Frame brace price? And how do yours look if I may ask?

Would you say the 888s are better than the commander 2s for handling? I hear amazing reviews of both but I was leaning towards the michellins

I've got the 444s 12.5in (1/2 inch lower than stock), Sean's frame braces, progressive fork springs with 1in lowering kit, and 170 rear tire, and I can tell you that it's well worth the money. It's a completely different bike.

Here's a pic of the frame brace. That's installed on my bike with a Corbin seat. It's tight with the corbin, but it fits.

IMG_0351_zps754216be.jpg

I think I'd rather go with the stock 13s. Are there any benefits to lowering? I'd think it would decrease your lean angle potential.

That brace loops discreet and simple, I like it.

Think I could get 13" 444s in chrome, progressive front springs, and a frame brace for 650?

Lol I won't have my bike for another 2 weeks and I'm already looking to spend half its cost on it between this stuff and the tires xD

Btw has anyone used Jon's ram air intake for the Vgas setup? Looks interesting and I'd like a way to filter the air without restricting too much airflow. Any cheap alternatives?

My hwy pegs came with the bike when I bought it. So I couldn't tell ya ha.

I believe that lowering the bike a little, .5 rear and 1in front just increases the handling of the bike. Since I did everything at once, I couldn't tell you from my experience if it actually helped. I just know that adding everything I did, it is actually a pretty good handling bike now. I came from 1000cc sportbikes, so for me to say that, it must be true haha. The stock vmax is pretty terrible in the handling department. Personally, it's the worst handling bike I've ever ridden. The mods make it a lot better.

They only thing I wish I would have done, and still might do in the future, is swapping the wheels and adding radial tires.

I got the 444-4212C (13") and the front fork spring kit from eBay. Best upgrade so far I did to my vmax

Order one spring rate lighter than recommended on the race techs. It will make the ride much better. The recommended rate seems to make the ride jarring for a lot of guys.

Are those the progressive shocks that are recommended? Where can I find the race techs and the calculator that shows me the spring rate I want?

And why is everything I find related to the front fork springs labeled as 93-07? Do I really need the 93 longer forks to run the emulator and progressive springs?

Also, can someone clarify if the 444 springs are actually progressive or linear? What about the 944 springs?

Progressive part #11-1129 fork springs are what you need for the older Gen 1's (1985-92).
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/product/1465/fork-spring-kit
Info on the Progressive 444's shocks can be found here:
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/product/1423/444-series-shocks

Details
  • Frequency Sensing Technology (FST)
    Allows the shocks to sense the
    frequency of a bump and automatically
    adjust damping for superior ride quality
  • Deflective disc valving
  • Adjust spring pre-load by hand,
    no special tool needed
  • Progressive rate spring
  • Standard or heavy duty spring rate and black or chrome finish
  • Lifetime Limited Warranty & made in USA
Sean can get you either or both of those at a decent price.

Perfect! Exactly what I was fishing for.

Sean, could you do 550 for the 13" chrome 444 and progressive spring?

Also, should I run a cartridge emulator? From my understanding the forks can only compress and decompress at a limited rate otherwise.
^ If that is the case, wouldn't it make sense to run a light weight oil and a heavier spring so that limited rate isn't so prominent?

Thanks!

If you keep watch on the sale section, rear shocks pop up from time to time. Thats how i got my progressive 418's

$525 Chrome Progressive 444 Shocks (the 440's are discontinued)
$80 Springs only or $100 Springs with lowering blocks
(Racetech are same price)
$100 - Fork Preload Caps
$275 - Double Tube Frame Brace (a little cheaper if raw finish which I am not sure if I have on hand right now).
And then some shipping on whichever you chose.

Order one spring rate lighter than recommended on the race techs. It will make the ride much better. The recommended rate seems to make the ride jarring for a lot of guys.

This is absolutely correct. I have Race Tech springs with 1.0 rating and they are too stiff. I only weigh about 160 and probably should have the .9 or .95 springs. Have the Race Tech emulators also with Progressive 418 rear shocks and 18" Kosman rear wheel and stock front wheel with radials. Also lowered the front forks about 1 inch internally to quicken steering. Rides and handles fine except for the stiff front.

Any heavier guy out there that wants to trade .9 Race Tech springs for 1.0, let me know. :biglaugh:

I've a set of cheap eBay shocks on mine for almost 2 years now - they do the job but don't eat too many burgers or carry a passenger down a bumpy road!

if I had the money I'd go with the 440s

Back