AUDI Diavel challenges V-Max!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
The new AUDI Diavel has announced a challenge to all Generation II V-Max owners-try an AUDI Diavel and if you don't agree the AUDI Diavel is a better bike, they will buy your Yamaha! (KBB book value for dealer trade-in)
The money will be applied towards purchase of a new AUDI Diavel!

This is your chance to enjoy the premium experience of the German/Italian combine, so you can save face when meeting your BMW-driving-or-riding neighbor at Starbucks for a 1/2 decaf-double mocha cappuchino!:rofl_200:
Audi Agrees to Buy Ducati

By JACK EWING
dbpix-audi-ducati-tmagArticle-v2.jpg

Stefano Rellandini/ReutersA Ducati Hypermotard. Rupert Stadler, the chief executive of Audi, suggested that the company could benefit from Ducati’s know-how building small but powerful engines.

FRANKFURT — Audi, the luxury car unit of Volkswagen, said Wednesday that it had agreed to acquire the Italian motorcycle maker Ducati, gaining a foothold in a growing market as well as expertise in building small, high-powered motors.

The transaction, widely reported Tuesday but not officially confirmed, was approved by the supervisory boards of Audi and Volkswagen on Wednesday. Audi did not say how much it agreed to pay, but a person briefed on the transaction confirmed reports that Volkswagen will pay about 860 million euros ($1.12 billion) to Investindustrial, Ducati’s main shareholder.

The deal raised questions about what Volkswagen, Europe’s largest carmaker, would gain from owning a motorcycle brand, other than opening a new front in its rivalry with BMW, a longtime maker of motorcycles. There is little obvious overlap between Volkswagen and Ducati or opportunities to save costs.

Rupert Stadler, the chief executive of Audi, suggested that the company could benefit from Ducati’s know-how building small but powerful engines, and in using materials like carbon fiber to build lighter vehicles. Such technology is becoming more important as carmakers face pressure from regulators and consumers for cars that have low fuel consumption but are still fun to drive.

Ducati “has great expertise in high-performance engines and lightweight construction, and is one of the world’s most profitable motorcycle manufacturers,” Rupert Stadler, the chief executive of Audi, said in a statement. “That makes Ducati an excellent fit for Audi.”

Audi said it expected demand for motorcycles to increase, especially in Asia. Ducati has factories in Italy as well as Thailand. Last year, Ducati sold around 42,000 motorcycles, according to Audi, and generated revenue of 480 million euros. Investindustrial, an Italian investment group that acquired Ducati in 2006, said the company had an operating profit of 51 million in 2011.

Ducati, based in Bologna, is known for stylish, high-performance machines that can sell for as much as 25,000 euros, or much more than many models of Volkswagen. As such, it may add some cachet to the Volkswagen stable, although Audi dealers are unlikely to start selling motorcycles.

Attachments

• AUDI Diavel.01.pdf
    116.2 KB · Views: 26
The new AUDI Diavel has announced a challenge to all Generation II V-Max owners-try an AUDI Diavel and if you don't agree the AUDI Diavel is a better bike, they will buy your Yamaha! (KBB book value for dealer trade-in)
The money will be applied towards purchase of a new AUDI Diavel!

This is your chance to enjoy the premium experience of the German/Italian combine, so you can save face when meeting your BMW-driving-or-riding neighbor at Starbucks for a 1/2 decaf-double mocha cappuchino!:rofl_200:

Wait, what? So if you don't agree the duck is better, you get to sell your yamaha? I don't follow.

Honestly, I've seen waaaaay more Harleys parked at foo-foo coffee shops and expensive cafe's than euro bikes, despite the stereotype.

Ducati needs some deep pockets behind it, and Volkswagen certainly has that in spades. I still don't really see myself ever buying one but good for them.

I never wanted or liked a Ducati, yes they make a nice pricey bike. They may be fast and flashy, but to look cool you have to be doing 150 on it. With a V-Max you can be cool just sitting on one. I know their are enough people to warrant Ducati to make them and they do sell. But I would not buy a Busa, a R1, or a Ninja. But that is just me.

Agreed, That read about as dumb as I think they could have made it.

Ducati makes a very nice but EXPENSIVE machine. A class of its own. No way close to the Vmax price VS Cool effect though IMHO

Most reviews of duc's I read tend to point out they still come over "all Italian"...torturous riding positions, complicated electronics, finicky clutches, and while better that it used to be.....high cost of ownership.

Back before I bought and put countless miles on my well rashed FZR I found a classified for a cheap Monster 620. The temptation to own a Ducati reared its head at me, but my wife reminded me "Remember that Norton you had in college". And while she and I both knew a modern Duc was no where near as finicky as an old British Twin the comment still made me do my homework and research reliability and maintenance issues. After a little reading up on the subject I decided I would be better off sticking with a less "exciting" and "cool" Japanese bike.

I don't mind Ducati's, they have traditionally been the sort of bike I like. Not the Diavel though.

And that is the weirdest marketing ever. Talk about ass backwards!

OK, I give-up!

The "Trade-in your VMax for an AUDI Diavel" is a hoax.

What is not a hoax is Ducati being bought by AUDI! I can only see good things coming of this. Parts should become easier to obtain, but of-course, they will continue to be expensive. As I have posted before, when I was looking for a bike in 1993 I looked at two different 851's but when I saw the VMax taken on-trade at the Ft. Lauderdale Yamaha shop, barely 1 year old and 1700 miles, I bought it. I have had a lot of fun w/the bike and next year will be twenty years of ownership. I recently spent $ to fix some problems, and am counting on this bike to last for the kind of mileage that the posters have been putting in the thread, 'how-long will a VMax last?' I like a stock-appearing bike, and most of my mods are in functionality. I have a bunch of parts acquired and ready to go, but I am gonna get the bike back on the road first after my "dyno dilemma" thread. The changes should be ones which make a difference in sound, maintenance ease, and performance, and I will document the work. When I get it done, I'll post it up as others have done, and so others may benefit from another member's work and knowledge acquired along the way.

Here's my thought on Ducati. Looks good. But....desmo is crap.

I would like to ride one for awhile just to see what they're all about. Basically a 2 wheeled Ferari. Still not a max in straight line though

Back