Author Clement Salvadori on our favorite bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
An article from Rider magazine & website, from one of the most-respected motorcycling authors in the business. Dig the dealer-installed striping option!

I think the six-pack rear rack and the center-of-tank and rear fender pinstriping are aftermarket products, though, as are the water-jacket inserts on the V4 cylinders, and the black trim on the side panels. I think the side panels are the 'real thing,' as they appear to be the one-year-only embossed (stamped) VMax 1985 side covers, instead of the 'stick-on' VMax emblem used on every model since. There are tiny downtube deflectors on the fork sliders, also a non-factory accessory in 1985, though much-later models did adopt something similar. The front wheel, used in 1985-1986, is favored by drag racers as it's a few pounds lighter than the 1988-2007 (USA) disc wheels.

All-in-all, a well-preserved example of Mr Max. I wonder if second gear's any good?

http://ridermagazine.com/2013/12/31/retrospective-yamaha-vmx12-v-max-1200-1985-1986-also-1988-2007/

I thought 96 was the 43mm fork intro?
Nice article anyway. A few I have read criticize the handling. Who looks at a gen 1 and thinks 'GP bike'?? Be real!
Its hot rod inspired and they are not known to go round corners especially well

No, 1992 was last yr of the 41 mm downtubes, '93 1st yr of 43 mm downtubes, also the 4 pot front calipers, & bigger rotors.

Back