Bad bat-starter clutch rattle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sufidancer

Reaction score
I want to say this is a very informative forum and I have been getting great tips on the Vmax. Hind sight is 20/20 and I wish I would of found this forum years ago.

My 2000 Vmax had bad battery / starter issues. And of course the bike would eventually not start even with a direct jump. Lots of ugly noises and vibrations from beneath the Starter Clutch cover.

Right there I should of replaced the battery and tried to start the bike, but Noooooooo! I figured if the bike did not start with a direct jump and if it sounded like that Clutch was slipping and rattling it MUST be bad.

So this weekend I opened up the Starterclutch cover and saw nothing out of the ordinary. The wheels/cogs all looked fine, no parts laying in there , Now when I did remove the cover the wheel that engages the starter clutch was loose.

Now for my question: Is it possible that this was the problem? Once I reindexed it back in the assymbly everything looks ok in there.

OR: Is it a matter of just replacing the starter clutch regardless of how it looks. I read another thread where the actual clutch was cracked.

Lastley, where can I find a source for gaskets?

Thanks in advance.

Your best source for OEM parts at an unbeatable price is Gary McCoy @ Mondak Motorsports.

Just mention this forum and get 20% off Yamaha prices.

406-433 6635

Your best source for OEM parts at an unbeatable price is Gary McCoy @ Mondak Motorsports.

Just mention this forum and get 20% off Yamaha prices.

406-433 6635

Actually it is 20% over actual cost which is better than 20% off retail. Used to be even better when he was at UMotors (15% over cost) but they were bought out and raised the prices and sent Gary packing. Glad he got with another dealer and convinced them to give a good discount.

Re: Bad bat-starter clutch rattleUPDATE

Well fellow Max'ers victory is mine. Thanks to the information on this site I managed to replace my starter clutch and upgrade to a larger Sears Battery. Here is what I learned.
1. Do not assume your starter clutch is ok just because you can not see any damage . You have to remove the flywheel and starter clutch and look on the back side of the clutch to see the damage. Mine , like another on this board had a crack.
2. You can have gaskets cut at your Yamaha dealer while you wait. (if your lucky enough to have a dealer that does this.
3. A standard puller that has the 3 up yokes and one down works fine.
As directed in a previous post...use grade 8 bolts from Lowes, Long ones.
Remove the Crank bolt with a impact if you have one. screw in the puller bolts and whack the middle puller bolt YES about 10 times with a 5 pound sledge. The thing popped off.
4. Put it all back together and.....VAAAARRRROOOOMMMM!
Thanks to all I am back on the road.:clapping:

Back