BAM! There goes my second gear..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
...so after waiting the best part of 10 months to get my bike shipped, imported and complied here, I've only ridden about 1600 kms (1000 miles) and I can positively say that my second gear is gone. :bang head:

I noticed it as soon as I started riding it back in October - it would 'jump' while in second whenever I accelerated hard, and it would happen quicker when two-up. Now, any attempt to accelerate at all in 2nd results in an instant neutral.. So I'm riding long 1st, quick thru 2nd and straight to 3rd, then carry on. What a PITA!

Anyway, I've got this '86 coming soon, so I guess I'll be riding it for a while instead of selling it, since the motor is going to need to come out of the '00 and cases will be split. Now I need to work out the best way to do this repair - I've never been into a gearbox and am not looking forward to it. I'm thinking I might pull the tranny assembly and ship to Sean if that's feasible, and have him undercut and replace as needed. I really, really didn't need this shit.

Grrrr :damn angry:

Sorry Man :bang head: When you get the 86, just do an engine swap. then you can keep riding the 00, without all the paperwork hassle. You have to pull the 00 no matter what anyway.

Sorry Man :bang head: When you get the 86, just do an engine swap. then you can keep riding the 00, without all the paperwork hassle. You have to pull the 00 no matter what anyway.

Not that easy........................remember the electrics are different, he'd have to swap the wiring harness too.

You can put the 86 in the 00 or vice versa by swapping the flywheel and pickup coils. Not too bad a job.

:bang head::sad2:That Totally Sucks G.... We're having a Tech Day in 2 weeks....:confused2:

:bang head::sad2:That Totally Sucks G.... We're having a Tech Day in 2 weeks....:confused2:

Too bad he doesn't live in Fl, I bet the Tech Day Team would be all over the 2 bikes and do the engine swap in 3 hrs. They would look like a nascar team at work.....

...so after waiting the best part of 10 months to get my bike shipped, imported and complied here, I've only ridden about 1600 kms (1000 miles) and I can positively say that my second gear is gone. :bang head:

I noticed it as soon as I started riding it back in October - it would 'jump' while in second whenever I accelerated hard, and it would happen quicker when two-up. Now, any attempt to accelerate at all in 2nd results in an instant neutral.. So I'm riding long 1st, quick thru 2nd and straight to 3rd, then carry on. What a PITA!

Anyway, I've got this '86 coming soon, so I guess I'll be riding it for a while instead of selling it, since the motor is going to need to come out of the '00 and cases will be split. Now I need to work out the best way to do this repair - I've never been into a gearbox and am not looking forward to it. I'm thinking I might pull the tranny assembly and ship to Sean if that's feasible, and have him undercut and replace as needed. I really, really didn't need this shit.

Easy come easy go...been there and know the pain.

I would not recommed driving anymore cuz you will most likely damage
the shift shaft which cost a lot. New pair of gears is a must to buy -
forks, bars, bearings, shift shaft? Not necessary but likley.

I would also reprofile the gear dogs pockets for better realibility as I did
before for many folks including me - makes a difference of a lot.
Can be done by any machine shop - of course you need to know how to
do this cuz you can easly make it worse.

I share your pain G.........I just finished babying mine through the season last year with the same thing....Getting ready to attack the problem now also....

I share your pain G.........I just finished babying mine through the season last year with the same thing....Getting ready to attack the problem now also....

Well let me know how you get on - I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

I guess swapping engines between '86 and '00 could be a go, but to be fair I might as well register and ride the '86 for a while, less hassle (one less engine to take out lol) and it'll be nice to ride another bike for a bit.

Sean, I'll be calling/emailing you about the procedure - I've taken a Max motor out before but never got to split the cases.

Has anyone ever done a video or taken pictures of splitting an engine without touching the top end?

With the engine removal video that's most of the work. Maybe I can do another section for trans removal.

That sucks G.

Motor swap will be reasonably quick ... provided you aren't getting the other one complianced! Lol.

If I had the $$ I would just get Sean to do the undercut and change the bearings. I didn't (and don't) have the money. It's not a hard job, but you need a bearing press, and Seans gears sound like the smart way to go, with overdrive.

But hey, I've got a massive 3 jaw puller for the flywheel now! You might be needing it.

I rode mine for ages like that. In the beginning you can hold second gear in with your foot. ie when you click up into second, keep the upward pressure on the gear selector.
I changed from 1st to 3rd so many times, I kept skipping 2nd even after it was fixed.

Sean, are you referring to Damon F.'s video? I have removed an engine before so that's no worry - I'm more interested in what happens next, once the motor's out and what to remove to get to the bits that need to come out to fix the bad gear..

Baz, have you done your gearbox yourself then? And what parts did you replace? Did you just fix the 2nd gear prob, or do any undercutting as well?

Damon's video takes the engine from it's bare block, fitting bearings (ans how to fit/size), transmission up through top end finishing. Damon does a good job explaining each step in great detail.

Well let me know how you get on - I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

I guess swapping engines between '86 and '00 could be a go, but to be fair I might as well register and ride the '86 for a while, less hassle (one less engine to take out lol) and it'll be nice to ride another bike for a bit.

Sean, I'll be calling/emailing you about the procedure - I've taken a Max motor out before but never got to split the cases.

Has anyone ever done a video or taken pictures of splitting an engine without touching the top end?

I'm copping out the same way, G. I bought a used motor with MUCH lower milage than mine and am prepping it for installation. I'll tackle my motor down the road at my leisure. At least that's the plan. Stay tuned for the outcome...........

What you need is the JediMatic (TM) instant gearbox fixer,

* Instant fix, no need to dismantle engine or gearbox.

* Clunky gear changes are a thing of the past, smooth action ensures slick gear changes every time.

* Optional uses to also aid in holding your lunchbox or other items.

* Looks sporty with a variety of different colours.

Attachments

• D8-40.jpg
    D8-40.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 15
That's funny Jedi!

Once out you will flip the engine on it's top (with a big catch pan under it). Remove all the covers, waterpump, clutch basket and misc, slave cylinder, oil pan/pump, then all the case half bolts. I need to do a more detailed notes but you get the idea. It's not hard at all. The hard part is cleaning up all the old gasket material.

Swapping the engines is easy with you only needing to swap the flywheels and pickup (or complete stator cover) over. It it's a newer engine (96+) into an older frame (95-), then you also need to get a different cross brace to clear the spin on oil filter.

Latest posts

Back