Barnett or Double D?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavgrab302

Reaction score
Put new clutches in about 4 months ago and went with the barnett clutchesinstead of OEM , and they seemed to slip in 4th and 5th pretty bad under hard loads. Took them all out and skuffed up all the plates and that solved the problem. But I was going to go ahead and do something about the actual pressure that way the problem wont arise again once the skuffing has worn smooth.
Which is better as far as ease of holding clutch at a stop and which holds better period?

I'm pretty familiar with spring clutches but is the DD a full proof method of creating more pressure or is it common for the springs to jump off center being they are stacked on top of eachother?

Double D holds better than the Barnett
Barnett will be a little easier to pull in than the DD
Some guys say the stock diaphragm spring style clutch is on or off, not much feel to it and say converting to a coil spring clutch gives you more "feel" for what the clutch is doing.

You can do a coil spring conversion similar to the Barnett with Yamaha parts. I have all these parts if you're interested. Check out my ad in the buy/sell section, it would be cheaper this way.

DD here too and i gotta tell ya, the muscles in my left arm are sore as hell.
didn't seem like a real big difference in lever pull but sitting in traffic or shifting alot and i can really feel it...

DD here as well, I rarely sit in traffic so no forearm pump or soreness after. In fact, a couple weeks after I was totally used to it.
I had about 250 miles on the new clutch when I left for the Brownie Run a 12 day/ 2500 mile ride! By the time I got back my left forearm was like Popeye's after eating a can of spinach!:punk:

Listed in order of clamping force (also requires greater grip)
Stock Spring Conversion (very early Ventures)
Stock
Barnett
PCW (tied with Barnett)
DD Conversion
Stock Spring Conversion with HD Barnett Springs - This is stiff!
DD.5 (stock plate and PCW plate) - better have a good grip!
Lockup (not sure how well the autoclutch works but at RPM's it should be up here).

Sean

I have used the PCW Spring, the Barnett standard coil springs and the heavy duty Barnett coil springs. The DD is by far the most effective. I use a machine shop made deeper clutch spring retainer that housed the two springs properly. In fact, I have an extra Gen 1 clutch spring retainer that is twice the depth as stock for a secure two spring fit. I had made one for a Gen 2 owner and used the wrong retainer the 1st time. Rick Rash

I did the DD, (two stock springs stacked-I didn't need any special parts for this other than shit canning the "partial" friction disc for a full one) lever pull is hell getting used to and in stop and go traffic can be torturous. But i like it now.

Have 20,000 miles on this one and no probs.

I did snap the driveshaft (easy fix, and thank god it wasn't one of this beefy aftermarket shafts, shafts are cheap compared to trannys) the first time I ran it through the gears hard with this set up. Wasn't used to the bite when it re-grabbed after shifting, now i just barely blip the clutch on the 1-2 shift and do the throttle blip-no clutch after that...I'm talking about when running flat out to redline every gear.

A friend gave me a PCW spring but it's still on the shelf.

My stock motor was fine with the barnett but my 1500 motor smoked the barnett so i replaced with the DD and my wife says you cant beet DD's

My stock motor was fine with the barnett but my 1500 motor smoked the barnett so i replaced with the DD and my wife says you cant beet DD's

That sounds familiar..

A friends 1500 Tourmaster smoked the PCW spring they installed before it was even out of break in, and my friend rides like and old lady..

Back