Battery Dead

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birchwood85

Reaction score
Ok I just bought the bike and this is the first bike I bought in winter time so my question is do you think a bike thats been stored in a warm showroom then brought to a 20 degree garage would that be enough to drain battery? When I went to start it next day damn near dead! So I pulled off seat and threw my battery tender on her. Any thoughts? :damn angry: Needless to say I was pissed, stealership lucky they were not open. Thanks again.

a baatteries charge detiorates with time, and a cold engine requires more power than a warm engine, chances are it wasn't in the best shape when it left the warm shop.

on my '94, it HATED being started in the cold (under 45 degrees) without a full tender charge overnight...

a cold engine requires more power than a warm engine

+1

Cold engine oil is thicker and these little starters and batteries can only handle so much. But you got the right idea with the Battery Tender. I swear by them. Got one on each vehicle all winter long including my summer car. Alarms and stuff bring down the battery after a while.

I have just never had that issue from one day to next before, but I understand where you guys are coming from, Thanks Again!!!

If that is a wet cell type battery, be sure to check the water/acid level often during charging season.

I still run a stock battery and it seems I'm always having to top it off after the trickle charger's been on it during winter months.

In all honesty I would buy a new Yuasa Battery and take the reciept to the dealer and ask them to reinburse me..

My last car I bought did the samething. The very next day the battery took a shit so I called my salesman and told him in a respectful manner that the battery is bad, he said "Go out and buy a new one and bring me the reciept" sure enough he wrote me out a check for the battery:clapping:

Your salesman should do the same.

I just put a new battery in a 92 Vmax because it wasn't holding a charge. The weather has been cold. The new battery did not hold a charge. Would the weather be a factor?

I just put a new battery in a 92 Vmax because it wasn't holding a charge. The weather has been cold. The new battery did not hold a charge. Would the weather be a factor?
Did you install the battery right when you got it home or charge it overnight first? New batteries need to be fully charged before installation. Simply filling them up with acid gets a battery going but it won't have full power till it's been charged to its rating ie: 14amp battery, charge for 14 hours at 1 amp.
There are only 2 kinds a weather a battery doesn't like, extreme cold and extreme hot.
Good luck.

Just installed the new Odessy PC680. Already had the Battery Tender installed. Actually, the gold plated mounting plates that come with it do not work with stock wiring so one must improvise. I am still not happy with what I have but it works. Battery was way smaller than my battery box so I had to stuff it with foam albeit, nice firm open cell from a chemical packing shipment. I have the hot start wiring upgrade too. I run a 100/80 watt headlight, Piaa twin 55 watt driving lights and leds all around and have yet to have any issues related to battery/starting etc. Goes on the Tender after every ride. Time will tell if it sulfates and dies a slow death. I did specify when ordering that it be a newly manufactured battery, not an old stock item. Mine had a DOM (date of manufacture) one month old.:clapping:

Did you install the battery right when you got it home or charge it overnight first? New batteries need to be fully charged before installation. Simply filling them up with acid gets a battery going but it won't have full power till it's been charged to its rating ie: 14amp battery, charge for 14 hours at 1 amp.
There are only 2 kinds a weather a battery doesn't like, extreme cold and extreme hot.
Good luck.
Thank you,
Temp has been around 30-50 here.

How do I check the charging system?
I did not fully charge it. I suppose it will not charge on the bike eh?
I put it on the charger we have here yesterday afternoon and it is on the lowest setting at 2 amp.
Where would the stator be? How much would it cost to replace?

You can charge it in the bike, that's not a problem. Once it's charged up, start the scooter and use an voltmeter to measure current at the battery terminals.
Should see 13.5 to 15 volts @ 2000 rpm.
Stator is under left engine cover. If you're not charging, check back and I or someone will give you the testing procedure for the stator,

Yes ok it is in the bike but on the charger. I should clarify that originally I thought the battery would charge in the bike (meaning while I was driving it).

So now I need to determine if my battery problem was due to not fully charging the battery (on a charger) or if the problem is not the new battery at all but the stator, or who knows what?

A little cold today but I think I want to run the bike after testing the voltage, which I assume will be good as it is a new battery. Then I will see if the battery holds charge. Could it be the aftermarket battery isnt one that is sufficient CCA or such for the bike?

-Paul

Battery is only reading 12.4 aprox while the engine is running.

I moved the stator related questions to the existing thread related to stator replacement.

Battery is only reading 12.4 aprox while the engine is running.

I moved the stator related questions to the existing thread related to stator replacement.

Before you change the stator, go over all the connections in the charging system. You would be surprised by the voltage loss you get through corroded connections. Search for the thread in the Electrical forum for all the connections to check.

Tanks I did print out the trouble shooting diagram. I just havent brought myself to read it all yet with that little print. I look forward to reviewing it and see what I can learn before the weekend is over.

Back