Best muscle cars list

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure to be some debates on this one! The posted comments are funny, some guy has a "180 mph Firebird."

73 TransAm, going,going,gone, 180+mph. burned everything it came up against, including one high powered Kawasaki.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/best-american-muscle-cars-of-all-time-1.aspx

They should have made it "Top 20" and then they could include the ones not-mentioned, and the performance dealership specials like Nicky Chevrolet, Baldwin Motion Performance, the Shelby Mustangs, and similar.

I would have put a Ford Talledaga GT in there, and the Shelby 500.
http://www.hagerty.com/price-guide/1969-Ford-Talladega

Sure to be some debates on this one! The posted comments are funny, some guy has a "180 mph Firebird."

73 TransAm, going,going,gone, 180+mph. burned everything it came up against, including one high powered Kawasaki.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/best-american-muscle-cars-of-all-time-1.aspx

They should have made it "Top 20" and then they could include the ones not-mentioned, and the performance dealership specials like Nicky Chevrolet, Baldwin Motion Performance, the Shelby Mustangs, and similar.

I would have put a Ford Talledaga GT in there, and the Shelby 500.
http://www.hagerty.com/price-guide/1969-Ford-Talladega

Man, haven't heard that name for a long time....brings back some great memories.

Well, we own 2 of the seven so I guess we're going ok so far!

They should have included some modern muscle cars and expanded the list (or made a seperate list). Im loving my 09 challenger with its lil kenne bell...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

One of my friends had a Roush Mustang, traded for a 392 Hemi Challenger just recently. Both of those cars are on my Dream List. He says he Loves the Challenger but compares it to an inline 6 banger compared to the Mustang. :confused2:

One of my firefighter co-workers bought the 1993 Fox-bodied Mustang Cobra, new. It was the second SVT product, the supercharged F-150 Lightning was first. It was a great performer, but it blew the engine under warranty. He was a fleet service manager before he was a firefighter/paramedic, so he knew how to care for his stuff. The dealership didn't bat an eye, no-questions, he had a new replacement engine as-soon as they got one freighted in, and the old one went back to Detroit for a forensic exam as-to why it had failed. He still has the car, it must be 21 years-old now.

I've had z-28's, two Firebird T-A's WS-6 (400, not a 403 Olds) & a Mustang GT Fox-body, and I thought the Mustang GT was the most fun to drive overall. Nothing blazing-fast, but all were a lot of fun, and I keep my cars for a long time.

I decided back in the early 1970's that if I wanted to go-fast on the road, bikes were better than a car, except when it's raining (I live in FL). That's when I bought an H-1 Kawi 500 triple, just the first in a long series of road-burners.

Oh, geez, how could I leave out the '67 GTO convertible?

Last edited:
73 TransAm, going,going,gone, 180+mph. burned everything it came up against, including one high powered Kawasaki

I had a '70 Ram Air IV 400, T/A with Turbo 400 tranny and 3:73 rear gears. In a 12 bolt rear end.
Top speed was around 130 at best.

I'd say 180 was a little optimistic to be nice about it n

Good choice redbone. I couldn't agree more. Mine was a 71 with a 455, turbo 400 with a shift kit. Nothing like that 1st to 2nd gear "chirp". My best 1/4 was 12.6. I forget now, but I had either 4:33 or 4:88 rear end. I ran out of gear. My speed was around 105. My best 1/8 was 8.2. Most of my buddies were mopar guys. My cousin had a 70 chevelle SS 454 with a 4 speed, cowl induction hood, black cherry paint with white stripes. That would be my second choice. My neighbor had a 67 corvette with a 427. Wasn't cherry by any means but still a great car. Ended up having to sell it to pay for a DWI. That was probably 30 years ago.

I was an Olds fan too... Like the old Hearst Olds. Oldsmobile had high nickle content blocks, which is why they were used for the GM 350 Diesels.

1st Generation Camaros are the best. I completely restored two 69's and a 68' back in the early 2000's. Real fun cars to restore, plenty of aftermarket parts available, great forum support like this one! Paint prison was always the worst, my first car was almost in 6 months! This 69 SS/396 Daytona yellow black hockey stick stripe car was my favorite one. All original, 12 bolt rear end, posi, Muncie 4-speed, car was a blast to drive! But for all out speed, the 68 427/400 3 speed car was the fastest, it could do mid 7's in the 1/8 mile. Here are some pics, enjoy!

b2_1.JPG

Here's the 427/400 68 I restored in 2007:

Video: http://www.chevyteam.com/video/kz1.avi

ec_1.JPG

Guess my 1965 Corvair Corsa Spyder (the one with the turbocharger) wouldn't make this list...

I had a '63 Corvair Monza Spyder (turbo'ed convertible) which was just a great car, especially w/the transverse leaf spring between the axle halfshafts to prevent 'tuck-under,' what Ralph Nader made his reputation complaining-about.

The Corvair was a design ahead of it's time. Ask John Fitch about what could be done w/them. The Yenko Stinger was another modified Corvair.
66-Fitch-Phoenix-DV-11-GC_001.jpg

64_Corvair_Fitch_Sprint_Dv-07-AI_01.jpg

Six Webers!
http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/850496,13358,0,0/photo.aspx

GM made some great concept cars using the Corvair drivetrain. Two (the SS and the GT, above) made the '68 Stingray look lame by-comparison, and the '68 hadn't even been released yet (still 5 years from its release)!

Guess my 1965 Corvair Corsa Spyder (the one with the turbocharger) wouldn't make this list...

I think they did a good job on the top 7 for the average joes. Redbone did bring a great car to the table that you could see an average joe cruzing. My uncle had a 1967 1968 1970 olds 442 and one of them was a w-30 black with gold stripes what a cool car. My dad had a 1968 road runner black with white stripe. I like the 1970 road runner myself. but back in the day you could go to the right dealer and order one hell of a car. Just think if you could some how come up with $4500 back than. What a time to have a drivers license and a good job,

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/68-hurst-hemi-dart-l023-is-this-the-worlds-fastest-muscle-car/

Insurance, smog equipment, and gas costs ended the muscle car market for a time.

When I got out of the Navy in November 1968 (yeah, I know I'm older than dirt) I used my saved up sea pay to buy a brand spankin' new Mustang Mach I. Very hard to keep in a straight line, if you punched it coming out of a turn you were going sideways unless you waited til you were perfectly straight before hitting it. Weight bias was all front, so I started carrying a couple of bags of cement in the trunk. That made it easier to drive, but took a tenth or so off the quarter-mile e.t. Fun Car

Dodge Ram SS/T, 1200 RWHP.

My 98 SS/T is headed in this direction unless I find a wild deal
on a 392 HEMI Challenger or a GT-500 Mustang.:confused2::ummm:

Attachments

• 10616-1997-Dodge-Ram-1500.jpg
    10616-1997-Dodge-Ram-1500.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 6
November 1966 , Junior in college , sold my '57 Chevy 2-door hardtop with rolled & pleated black interior , 3 - speed on the floor , 283 V-8 with aluminum heads and 2 - 4 barrel carbs , and with it and cash , for a total of $ 3,850.00 bought me a '66 GTO with 3-2s , Hurst 4-speed , positraction , dog dish hub caps with Red Line Tiger paws , yellow with black interior , hardtop , no vinyl top ; Later on added American mags & drive shaft size slant cut straight exhaust pipes . Hot car with the girls & comfortable as could be for the time period , But I never could beat my frat brother with his '66 Chevy II SS with a 350 V-8 & 4-speed with posi. Even when I used the sidewalks !!! LOL Weight difference was too much to overcome.

I think they did a good job on the top 7 for the average joes. Redbone did bring a great car to the table that you could see an average joe cruzing. My uncle had a 1967 1968 1970 olds 442 and one of them was a w-30 black with gold stripes what a cool car. My dad had a 1968 road runner black with white stripe. I like the 1970 road runner myself. but back in the day you could go to the right dealer and order one hell of a car. Just think if you could some how come up with $4500 back than. What a time to have a drivers license and a good job,

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/68-hurst-hemi-dart-l023-is-this-the-worlds-fastest-muscle-car/

Latest posts

Back