Best oil filter?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your 86 uses a cartridge filter. You can replace the o-ring every other oil change if you don't want to change every time. I always recommend OEM. Do not buy FRAM!!

I read that link that DMAN linked, and I read about the synthetic-like filters that remove up to 98% of the micro stuff. Is there a cartridge filter I can get like that for my 86? Or am I stuck with paper only?

Sorry about that, I didn't realize you had an '86, I should have looked closer.
The list I ilnked only applies to '97 and up.

There's a few companies that make stainless mesh oil filters. I've seen ads for them in MC and off-road mags. The major upside is they're reusable. They're also extremely expensive, one I saw was $180. You can buy a lot of paper elements for that. They claim superior small particle filtration, I have no idea if that's true.

A tip to "boost" your filter is to stick a powerful magnet either to the spin-on, or in your case, the cartridge cover. A big glob 'o nasty will collect across the metal from it.

Otherwise any of the listed filters will do fine. If you want "the best" I'd probably go for a top shelf automotive filter, as mentioned they tend to have more advanced media, where the MC-specific filters are just standard paper.

Back