best tire combo

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmax1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it has been asked a thousand times before but,I am planning on buying a rear ME880 in the 170/80 size. what would be a good front tire match. Would a ME880 front be best or a Metz lasertec? Also is there any problems running a lower speed rating like the Metz ME880 and weight it will handle. :ummm: Any input from you guys would be taken to heart. Thanks !

I run ME880's front and rear. I ride 2 up with loaded saddlebags on trips with no problems. They are good tires and wear like friggin armor! I have 7000 miles on mine so far and they are showing very little wear.

The 880's are by far the best all around tire for the gen 1 vmax (and I would bet still a great tire for the gen 2's).

Sean

I run ME880s on mine, 170 rear, stock 110 in front. Going with the 120 front tire will screw up your speedometer, and a fatter front tire will just serve to make it "flick" slower. Fatter rears have a similar effect, but the Max needs all the traction it can get.

Some have reported that a Lasertec front can help with "the wobbles" this bike is known for.

I would go with a 170-80-15 rear and the 110-90-18 front, both ME880's. Expect to use two back tires to one front, maybe three if you like to do burnouts a lot. I've got nearly 10k on the front and I'd guess it's maybe at 50%. This rear has around 3k on it and is just starting to show some wear.

I ride hard, lots of high speeds and "brisk" acceleration, but I do try to keep wheelspin to a minimum and that's what trashes tires. One good smoky burnout and BAM! there goes 1000 miles of life.

I would go with a 170-80-15 rear and the 110-90-18 front, both ME880's. Expect to use two back tires to one front, maybe three if you like to do burnouts a lot. I've got nearly 10k on the front and I'd guess it's maybe at 50%. This rear has around 3k on it and is just starting to show some wear.

Will the ME880 170/80-15 fit a "stock"swing arm? I am running a 150/90-15 right now, looking to go a tad wider...

Will the ME880 170/80-15 fit a "stock"swing arm? I am running a 150/90-15 right now, looking to go a tad wider...

Yes. You may have to do the washer swap tho. If unfamiliar just do a quick seach here or the interwebs.

The Shinko T230 170/80-15 fits perfectly within the OEM swingarm, with about 1/4" space on the left at rest.
In theory the ME880 170/80-15 should be very very similar in size, so it should also fit just fine.

The Shinko T230 170/80-15 fits perfectly within the OEM swingarm, with about 1/4" space on the left at rest.
In theory the ME880 170/80-15 should be very very similar in size, so it should also fit just fine.

Is anyone on the forum running the Me880 170/80-15 without the washer modification? What about a 140lb passenger? Any ill effects...

I am looking for new tires for the season and would like to go 170 without the washer swap modification if at all possible....

Is anyone on the forum running the Me880 170/80-15 without the washer modification? What about a 140lb passenger? Any ill effects...

I am looking for new tires for the season and would like to go 170 without the washer swap modification if at all possible....

plenty of guys are running the metz without the washer swap, a few have had to though.

the passenger won't matter, it'll be more dependent on your shocks.

plenty of guys are running the metz without the washer swap, a few have had to though.

the passenger won't matter, it'll be more dependent on your shocks.

Thanks for the information, I just walked out to the garage and took a look at the rear tire on the max, looks like the washer swap was already done by the previous owner! What do you guys think?

Running a ME880 150/90 15 currently...

d0662c88-4115-df6a.jpg

d0662c88-4132-2fa5.jpg

d0662c88-4143-4485.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Looks like they either did the washer swap or the washer is missing all together. Only way to know is to pull the wheel. I am currently running the metz me880 170 rear, and it fit great with the stock configuration.

I thought it looked like it was gone, i will get the tires ordered and take a look for the washer on the inside... Thanks again all...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I am currently using a Metzler 880 (110/90-18) and a Shinko t230 (170/80-15) with good results. I am on my second Shinko rear tire(1/2 worn now) to one front Metzler (2/3 worn) with about 8,000 miles.

yea they could have just forgotten to put it back together. i'd check the rear wheel assembly while you have it apart anyways.

I was looking on Motorcyclesuperstore.com and I cant find a Metzeler ME888 Ultra 110-90-18. They just don't seem to offer that size.

I was looking on Motorcyclesuperstore.com and I cant find a Metzeler ME888 Ultra 110-90-18. They just don't seem to offer that size.
No, but they have the ME880 110/90H-18 which matches the ME888 tread pretty closely.
If you mostly cruise they are very good tires.

Personally I buy Sport Touring Front Tires (currently a Bridgestone BatLaxx BT-45V) because I ride a lot of Twisty Roads and I ride them fairly hard.

Thanks Fellas. I really like the Metz but I will look into the Avon Venom. I may end up going with a Shinko though. From what Ive read they are pretty good tires for the money. May not last 12,000 miles but are pretty sticky.

I ran the 880s twice before but decided to try the Michelin Commander 2 (170 wide). Only thing is they don't make the size needed for the front so I went with Avon Roadriders for the Front. LOVE the Commander 2 but not so much with the Avon. The Avon got noticable small cracks on the sides after 3 months on the bike. The commander 2 seems to get better traction when it's wet. The 880 is built like a tank but like riding on snot when it's even a little damp. The wear on the commander 2 has been really good so far and I'm hard on tires. Got about 3000 miles and no noticable wear so far.

D

Back