Big B from KY, new guy with questions and yes I did a search first

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big B

Reaction score
Hey all. I've owned a lot of bikes over the years, but never had a Max. Always loved them, just never got one for whatever reason. Now that I have decided that a used V-Max will be the next bike, I had a few questions.

1) Are there any specific years to avoid or common problems to watch for ?
2) How durable is Mr. Max ? How many miles is too many ?
3) Is routine maintenance fairly easy ?

I read that newer is better, and I have read about the steering head fix. I have had cruisers and a Bandit 1200 in the past, so I was hoping that the V-Max would be a nice compromise. I would appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks.

Brian aka " Big B "

Hey Big B
What part of KY are ya from?
Wel I am not exactly sure but you want a VMAX made after hmmm 1998 is when they changed the tranny.
How many miles is to many........ really depends on how it was ridden, maintained. I have seen many maxes over 65K with no problems, just as my VMAX engines last an avg of 10K. I am not the type that uses mine for going to church and grocery shopping though. :rofl_200:

Hey all. I've owned a lot of bikes over the years, but never had a Max. Always loved them, just never got one for whatever reason. Now that I have decided that a used V-Max will be the next bike, I had a few questions.

1) Are there any specific years to avoid or common problems to watch for ?
2) How durable is Mr. Max ? How many miles is too many ?
3) Is routine maintenance fairly easy ?

I read that newer is better, and I have read about the steering head fix. I have had cruisers and a Bandit 1200 in the past, so I was hoping that the V-Max would be a nice compromise. I would appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks.

Brian aka " Big B "

I'd say a 2001 on are the best as all the changes had been made by then...

Buy the latest version you can afford though.

Oh and welcome!

Almost Chris. 2003 had a change to the oil pickup piece right?

I'll let the experts answer you tech questions but I wanted to say WELCOME from another KY member.

Where are you located? I'm in far west KY near Madisonville.

In order of preference:
96 + is new enough to get the stronger block and spin on.
99 + got the upgrade shift segment.
93 + the larger forks and brakes
any year is fine as changes can be made to any of the years to make them run/handle/brake well.

Sean

Back