bike crapping out at 4g

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripinanroarin

Reaction score
Title should of read...bike WAS crapping out.
Ya zoomin down the pave , the bike started getting wimpy.:ummm: WOT was ok, but wouldnt hold a constant speed. Ah shit....what now ?Get into town and it seems to be good till 4gs. Noticed the right rear cylinder lopping. Ahhhh, rip off the carbs,..throw them on the bench, light up a smoke,..grumble, sighhh.....Was suppose to be heading to the Exibition tonight with my honey " candy apples, thrills and spills"
Spending a night in the shop was really gonna tick me off. SOOO, I tore into the first carb...WALLA! found the problem. That big brass screw, right under the needle wasnt in place.It unscrewed itself. Well, better check the rest....yup, all loose. "my fault" I guess when you tighten them,..you really gotta crank em in.

Last edited:
I just went through the same thing! Was accelerating from a stop sign and all of a sudden it felt like I lost a cylinder. It seemed to idle fine but anything over 3000rpm and it would run on 3 1/2 cylinders. First checked compression- everything fine. Then checked coils,caps,pickup coil- everything checked out. Finally tore into the carbs and found that brass screw under the needle jet in carb#1 had backed itself out. Cleaned the carbs as long as I was in there, put it back together, and now it runs like a raped ape again!!

I just went through the same thing! Was accelerating from a stop sign and all of a sudden it felt like I lost a cylinder. It seemed to idle fine but anything over 3000rpm and it would run on 3 1/2 cylinders. First checked compression- everything fine. Then checked coils,caps,pickup coil- everything checked out. Finally tore into the carbs and found that brass screw under the needle jet in carb#1 had backed itself out. Cleaned the carbs as long as I was in there, put it back together, and now it runs like a raped ape again!!

Seems like a common occurence with these cabs.I honestly thought I put the screws in tight enough the first time around. My gas milage was dropping as well, .. should of known something was up.

Back