Bike Dies on the Freeway

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet this is the problem:

thumbnail.aspx

Electrical gremlin!
Seriously, I was trying to smoke them out yesterday.

Well I was thinking it was just the rectifier but the consensus here seems to be grounding sources so I will give it a good once over. It's not a charging problem or a hot start issue. After riding 30miles to the airport and stopping for gas, the bike started back up with full choke and a little bit of throttle. The only time it doesn't start is after it does 10-20miles at full speed in warm weather. And even then it starts up after it sits for 30minutes. Thanks everyone for the help, I am impressed by the number of responses. Let me know if you have another opinion or what you think about it being the rectifier. Going to hammer away at it this weekend.

The last time it happened, I was keeping it at 75mph/5000rpm and it still had problems. The temp gauge never even gets to halfway, so I am really lost here. Seems like something is not getting sufficiently air cooled.

Sounds like the kickstand relay is malfunctioning after riding for a while and when the bike cools down is reconnecting. just my .02 but i've seen the kickstand issue doing wierd things like this before. Obviously it's not battery if it fires back up, so check grounds and anywhere a cable could be damaged/disconnecting.

so let me understand. when your engine stops in the highway ,nothing works? i mean when you press the start button does the starter spin? or it is completely dead?

After it dies, until it cools, it behaves like the battery is dead. Hit the switch and the lits dim, tach swings to 4000rpm, and bike makes the sickening ticking noise. It behaves like any bike where the battery is not enough to turn the starter, but it tries.

Are there any good tutorial threads that explain bypassing the kickstand switch? Pictures would be great. Also, where the heck is the r/r? I was trying to check all my wires today. Do you guys recommend soldering the battery grounding cable directly to the mounting bolt/case? Seems a little too permanent for my liking.

Latest posts

Back