Bike Resto in full effect

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC02804.jpg

Hey now that is looking pretty damn good! Nice progress so far, I look forward to see your vision completed and you can report back your first ride report. I have always liked the '85 front wheel.

DSC02806.jpg

DSC02805.jpg

DSC02807.jpg

Here are some day time pics. I'm considering going with a new exhaust system. What does everyone think of the UFO 4-1 drag exhaust with the slash cut pipe? I was thinking of getting that with the silver ceramic finish to make it stand out.

Looking good ! The UFO is a nice pipe & deffinately will get peoples attention. Its Loud !

Do you think it is too loud? I don't want it to make a several hour ride unenjoyable. Also, do you think it will look better is silver ceramic or black ceramic?

Do you think it is too loud? I don't want it to make a several hour ride unenjoyable. Also, do you think it will look better is silver ceramic or black ceramic?
I like Loud so I might not be the person to be asking. I have heard other people say there to loud but they dont bother me. If it was my bike I would do Silver just to break up the black some but that is just a matter of oppinnion to.

Here is a pic from tonight. The starter, thermostat assembly, and v boost assembly were installed. I order a UFO 4-1 exhaust in silver. Its going to look nasty on the bike. Some random parts are at the powder coaters. They are sand blasting my calipers so that they will look new when I spray them. They are powder coating the master cylinders, the handle bar controls, the levers, and the kick stand. The bike should be done soon!

DSC02808.jpg

I think it looks good like that but I would go w/contrast for the scoops and bodywork. 'Murdered-out' is I think too-much of a good thing, and I think bodywork on a bike should shine. Get another set of bodywork, paint 'em bright, and have a matte-black set for the sinister look.

Thanks! I like it better than a new 1st gen.

I totally agree Fire-medic. The base color for the body work is probably going to be a green color.

I have a 4/1 DragStar w/the bevel-cut 'shortie.' It's probably about as-close to a straight pipe as you can get. Very "Harley-ish!":rofl_200:

I haven't installed it yet, but I am sure it's loud. :biglaugh:

I should have that exhaust Monday. I can't wait to see it on the bike. I am also getting the last of the parts back from powder coating Monday so the bike will basically be together next week with the exception of the fenders. I am also waiting on my rotors from China. Something happened and they are held up so it could be a while before I get them. As far as the paint for the fenders, I am thinking a green and black color scheme. I found a picture that matches what I am thinking for the green. Its a neon green that transitions into black.
audir8greenlantern.jpg

Mech, you are so close I bet you are chomping at the bit!
In the home stretch for sure. Hope she fires and runs right off the bat for you.

After I cancelled my Facebook account I will never open another one again. Maybe you can post a picture of that green and black bike.

Ya I've been pushing to get it done. My last Spring break is coming up before I graduate and I'd like to have the bike ready so I can enjoy it. Now that the sun is out after days of rain I am going to installed Seans HD oil kit. If I get that done this weekend (it's easy so shouldn't be a big deal) then I will be able to install the exhaust Monday.nI need to spray a bunch of parts including some of the carb assembly. I'll likely prep the parts for paint today and spray them tomorrow. One thing that is really holding me up is the damn wave rotors from China. I think customs liked them so much they decided to keep them. Serves me right for buying shit that cost more than $1 from China.

I'm working on installing the HD oiler upgrade from Sean. I just got the clutch basket off and this is what I found. It looks like the gear on there is the same as the one supplied in the kit. Could this means that the upgrade was already done? I'm still replacing that gear because two of the plastic teeth are damaged. You can also see the damage to the screws as visible in the pictures. It looks like someone stripped them out then tried to notch them so that they could remove them. It's really ugly. Maybe someone can give me some insight into this.
DSC02809.jpg

DSC02810.jpg

DSC02811.jpg

DSC02812.jpg

I think I figured out that the orange gear I removed isn't the one which is replaced. I think the gear that is replaced is the one which shares the same shaft and is accessed from the oil pan area. Looks like I need to order a replacement gear for the orange one now. Also, I need to replace those striped screws. I think the part number is
Screw, Countersunk
98707-06016-00
Finding surprises like that in the engine makes me wonder what else is in store down the rode.

I think I figured out that the orange gear I removed isn't the one which is replaced. I think the gear that is replaced is the one which shares the same shaft and is accessed from the oil pan area. Looks like I need to order a replacement gear for the orange one now. Also, I need to replace those striped screws. I think the part number is
Screw, Countersunk
98707-06016-00
Finding surprises like that in the engine makes me wonder what else is in store down the rode.
I have a blown up engine out here that I could check & see if these are good if you want me to.

Nothing wrong with the orange gear (it's oil stained and normal). Only reason to take those screws out would have been to split the case for trans repair. Use a manual impact to get the screws out.

This keeps getting better. I managed to drop the silver washer that goes on the oil pump drive gear into the case. I've been trying to use a magnet and mirror to get it out to no effect. I really hope this isn't a situation that will lead to me having to split the case to get it out. I'm going to try some more tomorrow to get it out and maybe get a bore inspection camera from harbor freight.

As far as those screws, they are 2.95 each from the dealer and there are 6 of them. If you have easy access to them that will be great.

If you look closely at that orange gear two of the teeth have broken corners.

Back