Bill Warner article

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2013-09-19/news/bill-warner-land-speed-racing/

bill-warner-land-speed-racing.9150406.87.jpg

Bill Warner, King of Land Speed Racing, Was the Fastest Motorcycle Rider on Earth

Excerpt:
He eventually turned up at his Wimauma farm with his own Yamaha V-Max. Online, he met a group of Florida riders; together, they buzzed around the state to races at Daytona and Bradenton.
The weekend warrior's first small step to high-speed glory came in 2004. As Warner later explained to dirtbike.com, he saw a news story out of Minnesota about a radar gun glitch resulting in a 200 mph speeding citation. The number snagged in his head.
"I want to make a V-Max go 200," he announced to his buddies, adding he'd do it "naked," or without a turbo system. Only three bikes had ever been clocked at that speed without modification, none a V-Max. It was like saying he wanted to take a Cessna for a spin in Earth's orbit.
"I said, 'I'll try to help you do it,'" recalls Jerry Gainey, a motorcycle tech from Orlando who rode with Warner. "'I don't think we'll be able to do it, but we'll try.'"

A great read, about one of ours who has left too-soon.

In spring 2007, Warner and Gainey trucked the nine hours from Florida to Maxton. Day three of racing, he was clocked at 200.06, still a snail to the Hayabusas' blitzkrieg but incredible nonetheless — no one had ever ridden a V-Max that fast.

There's also an article about him in the latest Motorcyclist magazine.

That man is such an inspiration to me. It is him and what he did that fully inspired me to decide on my goal...

To break 200 at Loring on a 750cc V-twin bike.

No one seems to believe that it can be done... but if a man can get on a bike, ad blow a record away by more than 50mph, then I too can follow this dream.

Cabalga con Dios, Bill, and keep me on my path.

Latest posts

Back